This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So is Battle.net like Steam ?

#1Kano92Posted 3/28/2014 10:45:06 AM
I've been wanting to get Diablo 3 for a while and this will be my first blizzard game. So to play Diablo 3 is it like Steam where you download and install a client/launcher and buy and start games like Steam ?

Also does blizzard have deals like Steam does often ? I was thinking of waiting for a deal to get Diablo 3.
---
i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 | CORSAIR 650W | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 660 | 2TB 7200 RPM | Windows 7 64-bit
#2KillerTrufflePosted 3/28/2014 10:48:16 AM
Well, it's like Steam in that it's a game client... and... that's about it. It is not a store like Steam - clicking "buy" on any of the ads there opens your web browser and sends you to their website.

And they only offer Blizzard games - so like... WoW, Diablo 3, StarCraft 2, and Hearthstone. Tad less variety than Steam.

And no, they don't have sales nearly as often as Steam, and their discounts almost never go below 50% off. If you wanted Diablo 3, you should have bought it just before the expansion came out - it was 50% off.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3biohazard1775Posted 3/28/2014 10:48:40 AM
Blizzard is creating a client where you can launch Blizzard games so I guess.
---
http://i.imgur.com/AuuOUVo.png
#4DerPancakePosted 3/28/2014 10:50:13 AM
Not comparable, one actually works and doesnt go down every day.
---
http://i.imgur.com/mng6Lqf.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mxvh3ut - Taylor Swift: Queen of Pop.
#5Orestes417Posted 3/28/2014 10:54:51 AM
biohazard1775 posted...
Blizzard is creating a client where you can launch Blizzard games so I guess.

It'd be more proper to say they're combining the previous per game client into a single entity. Works pretty much exactly the same with less shortcuts.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#6Kano92(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 10:55:10 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Well, it's like Steam in that it's a game client... and... that's about it. It is not a store like Steam - clicking "buy" on any of the ads there opens your web browser and sends you to their website.

And they only offer Blizzard games - so like... WoW, Diablo 3, StarCraft 2, and Hearthstone. Tad less variety than Steam.

And no, they don't have sales nearly as often as Steam, and their discounts almost never go below 50% off. If you wanted Diablo 3, you should have bought it just before the expansion came out - it was 50% off.

So if I don't buy the games through the client then how do you buy them ? I'm assuming you buy at the blizzard website and then when you launch the client the game will be in there ? So is this client called battle.net ?
---
i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 | CORSAIR 650W | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 660 | 2TB 7200 RPM | Windows 7 64-bit
#7Worknofun370Posted 3/28/2014 10:56:02 AM
DerPancake posted...
Not comparable, one actually works and doesnt go down every day.

Battle.net has had issues over the past few months as well with their auth servers.
#8Orestes417Posted 3/28/2014 10:56:32 AM
You buy them through a store. any store. Pick a store, doesn't matter which store.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#9Worknofun370Posted 3/28/2014 10:57:36 AM(edited)
Kano92 posted...
So if I don't buy the games through the client then how do you buy them ? I'm assuming you buy at the blizzard website and then when you launch the client the game will be in there ? So is this client called battle.net ?

You are correct, you buy them from blizzards site using your battle.net account. And the client is called battle.net, and once you purchase the game on the site you can download and launch from the client.

EDIT: Orestes is more accurate, you don't have to buy them from the blizzard site, but buy them anywhere and then add the key to your account.
#10ShubPosted 3/28/2014 10:57:09 AM
Kano92 posted...

If you buy it from their site but not through the client, it'll get added to your account and you'll play it through the client anyway.
If you buy the boxed game from a store or from Amazon, you'll get a key which you'll activate on your account and you'll still play the game through the Battle.net client anyway.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.