This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows VS Mac Performance

#1mateos_17Posted 3/28/2014 9:46:38 AM
Hey everyone, just trying to find out if the games perform better on windows than in Mac because I got Tomb Raider via steam for Mac and it performs at 30fps but I've read that it should be performing at 60fps with Nvidia GTX 780M on ultra settings. I was wondering if this is due to the mac port??

Do you consider that if I install windows via bootcamp I might get a better performance?

Thanks
#2SinisterSlayPosted 3/28/2014 9:50:37 AM
I don't know why, I'm guessing drivers, but Macs generally get horrible game performance.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3ShubPosted 3/28/2014 9:52:02 AM
If you're serious about gaming, you really should install Windows via Boot Camp, yes, it makes a difference, depending on the game.
Although I'm not so sure you should be able to play the game at 60 fps on Ultra at 2560x1440 on a 780M.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4mateos_17(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 10:40:09 AM
I played at 1440p and at 1080p and the difference isn't that big. For every game session I tried different settings (sometimes went over the top in graphics but low fps or the other way around).

Getting to install windows is turning out to be problematic, i don't have a disc drive on my mac.
#5HydroCannabinolPosted 3/28/2014 10:47:16 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
I don't know why, I'm guessing drivers, but Macs generally get horrible game performance.

Yup, I'd say it's drivers too.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#6ShubPosted 3/28/2014 10:56:22 AM
mateos_17 posted...
Getting to install windows is turning out to be problematic, i don't have a disc drive on my mac.

Download a Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Microsoft (it's free and legal), use Boot Camp Assistant to put it on a USB thumb drive (must be 4 GB or larger). Of course you'll also need a product key to activate Windows once it's installed, and that's not free.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#7drinkPosted 3/28/2014 11:15:08 AM
Shub posted...
mateos_17 posted...

Download a Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Microsoft (it's free and legal), use Boot Camp Assistant to put it on a USB thumb drive (must be 4 GB or larger). Of course you'll also need a product key to activate Windows once it's installed, and that's not free.

If you dont mind it asking for a key every time you boot it, you can use windows without a key. but beware. I would only game with it
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#8LvthnPosted 3/28/2014 11:51:23 AM
I don't know how you're defining "ultra" in Tomb Raider, but you aren't going to run absolute ultramax even at 1080p 60fps, even with two desktop 780s in SLI. TressFX, VSync, tesselation, and 8xAA will annihilate your framerate. Even with VSync and AA off, TressFX will push a 780m to the limit. Consider turning TressFX off. I don't recall what I benchmarked a single desktop 780 at ultramax, but 30fps is probably close, maybe even generous.

If it's a rock solid 30fps...do you have it capped? Tomb Raider isn't capped by default, I don't think...I regularly see spikes of 150fps or so, but I'm also playing on Win8.1. Also turn off VSync, I've occasionally noticed that capping framerate.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_review,16.html

Benchmarks on a desktop 780 for Tomb Raider, but note that TressFX is off, FXAA is used (much less demanding), and VSync is not specified. I couldn't find any benchmarks for absolute ultra.

If it's not a frame capping or Mac issue, just adjust settings until you get a solid 60fps and be aware that those check boxes all take tremendous bites out of your fps.
#9SinisterSlayPosted 3/28/2014 11:56:16 AM
Lvthn posted...
I don't know how you're defining "ultra" in Tomb Raider, but you aren't going to run absolute ultramax even at 1080p 60fps, even with two desktop 780s in SLI. TressFX, VSync, tesselation, and 8xAA will annihilate your framerate. Even with VSync and AA off, TressFX will push a 780m to the limit. Consider turning TressFX off. I don't recall what I benchmarked a single desktop 780 at ultramax, but 30fps is probably close, maybe even generous.

If it's a rock solid 30fps...do you have it capped? Tomb Raider isn't capped by default, I don't think...I regularly see spikes of 150fps or so, but I'm also playing on Win8.1. Also turn off VSync, I've occasionally noticed that capping framerate.

Benchmarks on a desktop 780 for Tomb Raider, but note that TressFX is off, FXAA is used (much less demanding), and VSync is not specified. I couldn't find any benchmarks for absolute ultra.

If it's not a frame capping or Mac issue, just adjust settings until you get a solid 60fps and be aware that those check boxes all take tremendous bites out of your fps.

Tressfx seems resolution sensitive.
My 560m can run tressfx at around 30fps at 720p and like 5fps at 900p
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10LvthnPosted 3/28/2014 12:07:54 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Lvthn posted...

Tressfx seems resolution sensitive.
My 560m can run tressfx at around 30fps at 720p and like 5fps at 900p

Doesn't surprise me, Tomb Raider has some weird graphical glitches. In SLI, you cannot run TressFX with VSync and forced fullscreen enabled, or the hair will ocillate and look ridiculous. Fortunately you can disable VSync with no loss at all, I've never seen tearing. I'm running 780 x2, all settings ultra, tesselation and TressFX on, 4xAA, VSync off, and I get an average of about 90fps @1080p, dipping to ~60 in cutscenes (probably the hair and shadows of hair doing it, if I line up multiple waterfalls and force zoom on Lara I get a similar drop) and going up to 120-180 in less demanding areas. If I go up to 8xAA I get ~55fps with dips to 45, which I find unacceptable. I really can't tell the difference with 8x on anyway.