This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you guys care about Virtual Reality?

#121Norb_Posted 3/28/2014 9:27:31 PM
Chosen_one_41 posted...
Does VR just mean putting a small screen directly infront of your eyes? I don't see how it would be any different than looking at a screen the normal way.

While the screen is technically in front of your eyes at a fixed point, you're actually viewing it through a pair of optics that create the illusion, as far as your brain is concerned, that you're not looking at a screen at all (your may know it's a screen because it's obviously pixels, but your brain doesn't care about that). Your eyes remain in their natural, rested focal position so there's little to no eyestrain when using the device, and the way the screen/optics/distortion work causes the image itself to wrap around a large portion of your vision - it's only the far periphery that isn't visible.

Basically the most apt description I can come up with through my using it is it's like your head is now in a different place. When I look around a house on the Rift, I don't think I'm looking at a screen, I think I'm looking around a room. The sense of presence (you'll see that word a lot when in conjunction with VR) is amazing - any video you watch of someone using the Rift you'll see them reach out and try to touch something, or if they're standing maybe lose their balance. That's because the illusion is so convincing, even on the crappy DK1 display.

Da Hui posted...
I'm not sure how anyone can decide now. It's completely a wait and see situation. Also, does it matter if you don't think it'll be good for shooters? It's not made for one genre. I have 3 monitors and can play games at 5760x1080. Personally, I don't think shooters are that great across three monitors. I think driving games are amazing across three monitors. I'm sure there will be plenty of people that will disagree with me on the opinion of genres at 5760x1080, as there will about different genres with VR. Personally, I'd love to try a racing game with VR, I think first person adventure games would be amazing too, I don't think shooters would work very well with it.

Adventure games, RPGs and the like will in fact be outstanding. Anything with NPCs or even other players is extremely exciting for the simple fact that the Rift gives characters actual presence. When you look at an NPC, you can make real eye contact to the point where some people have reported the exact same social anxiety they experience in real life, they felt when viewing people in the Rift. I've experienced this myself if I get too close to characters, I feel like I'm intruding on that invisible, personal space bubble normally reserved for real life.

You're right about shooters - they CAN be fun (I've done TF2 and HL2) but in competitive settings a Rift user would always lose to a monitor user - you just can't spin fast enough (because, like in real life, you can't turn 180 in an instant). Cockpit/driving games will be the forerunners and best experiences initially, with exploratory based games and slower paced RPGs coming next.
#122KJay489(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 10:19:09 PM
I've never personally tried and kind of virtual reality but the idea of head tracking sounds as if it would eliminate any sense of motion sickness because virtual reality is essentially replacing your entire view with a different world. If the screen extends to (or past) my peripherals, my brain shouldn't be able to tell the difference as far as sense of presence, especially if I can physically look around and the world responds (hopefully with very little latency).
#123daemon_danPosted 3/29/2014 12:09:22 AM
I'm excited for the full retail version of the Rift. Even with its buyout by Facebook. I think it will continue to see developer support and won't just be an ad machine by FB. Or at least I hope so. I have been tempted to get each of the dev kits, but I'm still holding off.
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#124Doomsday FortePosted 3/29/2014 7:29:37 AM
Honestly, no, and this was before the Oculus buyout too. I've never used it, and while I'm sure it'd be neat and all...

VR is still in its relative infancy. Maybe now we have the technology for it, but it still needs to prove itself, and that's going to be very hard to do. It still has the potential to be a "useless gimmick" with little support. I mean, look at the Kinect for both the X360 and X1. There aren't many Kinect-enabled games for the 360 that I'm aware of, and fewer still that require it. The Kinect comes with the X1 to start, and you'd think every game would have some feature, but...it's just there. Sitting. Doing nothing.

Compare the Wiimote. A lot of people had issue with the motion controls, saying several games would be better off with traditional controls instead of getting Wii Elbow. Granted, many Wii titles had motion controls present, but you could debate which ones actually did it well without feeling tacked-on.

The problem with both of these examples is that they tried to challenge established control schemes and arguably failed through either lack of support (Kinect) or plenty of support, just done poorly (Wiimote). The Rift and other VR headsets are not only challenging how we control first-person looking with the mouse, but also how we see our games or rather, on what we see them. TVs, dedicated monitors...people split hairs over frames per second and resolution and reaction time and all that. You also have something sitting on your face and you need to move your neck around, which will no doubt result in sprains for some people. And when you're done with your TV, you can actually do something else with it other than watch your game footage on there.

I don't know if virtual reality is going to succeed this time around. I kinda hope it does, but it's gonna have a hell of a fight on its hands. If the experience it offers isn't vastly better than what we have available now, then only enthusiasts and the curious will buy into it. If it gets popular and then nobody wants to make VR-specific applications, then...well, that won't help it either, will it?

Look at what Valve is doing regarding SteamOS. Windows is the established norm of the OS for gaming on PCs, and very few people would use Linux exclusively for gaming. Over 26% of my entire Steam library has a native Linux port, which I admit is a very small amount...but compare that to a few years ago when that was just 0% (for being on Steam itself, anyway).

It's going to take a lot of effort on the part of not only the VR devs, but game devs, application devs...and the public, though they have to care enough about it for it to succeed. If they're not wowed or utterly convinced this is the future and that it beats the TVs and monitors and all we have already, it'll just be another dead-in-the-water idea and VR will go into hibernation for a few more years. "Maybe next time..."
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#125JKatarnPosted 3/29/2014 7:54:54 AM
aaron1111 posted...
ynthetic friends still young You'll change your mind :P

If You own a Smartphone You're already apart of the process. Honestly I don't see the harm in transhumanism. Tech has been a double edged sword since we discovered fire and started sharpening sticks.

I'm sure by the time they've perfected powerful microscopic brain/body inhabiting machines and the FDA (or whatever government body has replaced them at the time) clears them for use in the human body I'll be long dead.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#126pwnater777Posted 3/29/2014 7:58:35 AM
I care. It used to be just a gimmick because the proper tech wasn't available, but nowadays with how advanced gadgets are and how high of quality screens have become, it's more than just a gimmick. It really, honestly seems like the next level of gaming.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#127aaron1111Posted 3/29/2014 9:36:53 AM
JKatarn posted...
aaron1111 posted...
ynthetic friends still young You'll change your mind :P

If You own a Smartphone You're already apart of the process. Honestly I don't see the harm in transhumanism. Tech has been a double edged sword since we discovered fire and started sharpening sticks.

I'm sure by the time they've perfected powerful microscopic brain/body inhabiting machines and the FDA (or whatever government body has replaced them at the time) clears them for use in the human body I'll be long dead.

Not necessarily. Scientists have already found a natural organic compound that can prolong lifespan to at least 200-250(And keep You biologically 20). Human trials actually began this year, and they plan to market it in a year or two, Biotivia already found a way to make it mass producible. It's actually a recent breakthrough in science, besides waste buildup, Aging is mostly in our Mitochondria disconnecting from our cells over time. Breakthroughs like this are coming way before the hover cars and holodecks do.

Anyways You can read on it here: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/anti-aging-formula-slated-begin-human-trials

I care. It used to be just a gimmick because the proper tech wasn't available, but nowadays with how advanced gadgets are and how high of quality screens have become, it's more than just a gimmick. It really, honestly seems like the next level of gaming.

Maybe it is, but good luck convincing people of that. I agree that integration is our next level of gaming. But it's going to take a handful of years to start. I remember the late 2000s when everyone was skeptical of smartphones. The tech just needs to get smaller and dirt cheap before the masses will start on it. VR is just getting rolling.
#128GoreGamerPosted 3/29/2014 9:44:39 AM
I am excited about trying it, although I got a feeling it will be like motion controls and lose interest.
#129PsythikPosted 3/29/2014 11:59:47 AM
GoreGamer posted...
I am excited about trying it, although I got a feeling it will be like motion controls and lose interest.
No it won't be. The only thing VR does is add depth perception to games and allows you to move your head independently of your body.
---
4670K | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | BitFenix Phenom M (white) | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#130CBratePosted 3/29/2014 5:30:13 PM(edited)
Remember when HDTV was just a gimmick?
Or flatscreen plasma?