This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you guys care about Virtual Reality?

#31imthestuntmanPosted 3/28/2014 12:58:28 PM
No. Ive tried the stuff before and had much the same reaction to it i did the first time. I ever tried 3d when i was like 5 or something in the 90s. The very first minute of the first time: oh this is cool, the second minute: this would be better if it was just the normal way.

So my second impression when vr makes its big push will be the same as 3ds. Oh this crap again.

The only benefit this has over 3d is i wont be stuck using it just because every other showing is sold out.
---
These minor spelling errors were brought to you by an ipad having no real feedback to enable me to know when i mistype and my own laziness.
#32jake-sfPosted 3/28/2014 1:00:10 PM
I felt like its a gimmick I could potentially have a lot of fun with.

Nothing more, nothing less.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#33YOeastonYOPosted 3/28/2014 1:01:12 PM
I like the technology, but its something that I will probably never use.
#34cody4783Posted 3/28/2014 1:02:31 PM
I have a bit of an asynchronous bias toward one eye (Yep, making up terms.), which tends to make most 3D and similar technologies give me insane headaches and generally not work.

So while I like the idea of VR tech and where it could go, I don't really think it's something I would/could ever use, and really am not terribly interested in it overall. ESPECIALLY considering the relatively high cost of setup for such devices.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#35Norb_Posted 3/28/2014 1:03:42 PM
Of course not. I tried it in the 90s and it absolutely sucked, and since technology has absolutely not progressed one iota since then, today's VR must be equally bad.
#36Norb_Posted 3/28/2014 1:06:50 PM(edited)
cody4783 posted...
I have a bit of an asynchronous bias toward one eye (Yep, making up terms.), which tends to make most 3D and similar technologies give me insane headaches and generally not work.

Astigmatism? I'm not sure what you mean. Basically the Oculus version of "3d" mimics natural stereo vision so you might be ok. If whatever is wrong with your eyes can be corrected with contacts or glasses then you'd for sure be ok with the Rift.

EDIT: I have a slight astigmatism in my right eye and it makes me unable to see anaglyphic 3d very well (red/blue glasses), but the Rift is just fine.
#37Orestes417Posted 3/28/2014 1:09:43 PM
Sounds more like a dominant eye issue.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#38bonewiperPosted 3/28/2014 1:09:44 PM
Nope, nothing to see here, move along.
#39AirTeasePosted 3/28/2014 1:10:16 PM
I think it will be the next step in gaming and entertainment as a whole.

But then again I think 3D movies are cool so my opinion might not count for much.
#40cody4783Posted 3/28/2014 1:18:08 PM(edited)
Norb_ posted...
Astigmatism? I'm not sure what you mean. Basically the Oculus version of "3d" mimics natural stereo vision so you might be ok. If whatever is wrong with your eyes can be corrected with contacts or glasses then you'd for sure be ok with the Rift.

Not sure, TBH. Never really bothered actually having it checked out; It's not a blurring/lack of being able to see clearly, more along the line of one eye takes about a 70% priority for focusing.

Like, even though I can see clearly and focus on things in the full field of my view, my right eye takes first priority for viewing until the point where what I focus on is outside of my right eye's view.

>_>
I'm terrible explaining things I don't have a direct term to relate it to.

The Rift might avoid this. But things like Anaglyph 3D, or shutter glasses just make my head explode trying to process the image, given they try to use fancy glasses to make the two offset images appear on one screen.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg