This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GeForce GT 840M or upgrade for student

#1FutureBenPosted 3/28/2014 12:48:27 PM
Hello, I just need a little advice.
I just ordered a Sager 15'' laptop with the GeForce GT 840M video card and am wondering if I made a bad decision.

I have never really been into PC gaming but next fall I'll be going to school for advertising so I needed a higher performance laptop to deal with all the graphics software i'll be using. I probably will try some light gaming though since it is supposed to be a gaming laptop.

The main reason I'm worried about the GPU card is that I'll be dealing with adobe premier and read that the GeForce GT 840M might struggle handling the software at optimum speeds. So if you could tell me, i'd really like to know if I should have bought the version with 860M? And if it is worth it, is it simple to upgrade the card?

The specific laptop I ordered was the NP4658. I added a SSD and set the 8G RAM to be arranged in 2x4G (which I plan to upgrade).

Feel free to berate my configuration if you feel like it. I'm cheap.
#2datopgamerPosted 3/28/2014 1:21:41 PM
The GT840m is a low tier card, you can't really expect to game any with that. You could more than likely handle the low spec games but don't expect to do much with newer games. If you have the money get the 860m, though I'm not sure if you can upgrade it now. If it hasn't shipped then you might have a chance.
---
I5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 12 gigs DDR3 memory, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, 2x EVGA GTX 670 4gb SC sli, Seasonic 750w PSU, Monoprice 1440p monitor
#3ATARIJAWAPosted 3/28/2014 1:29:03 PM
I can't believe it was sold or advertised as a gaming laptop. It doesn't have a gaming gpu it has a multimedia gpu. It will handle light gaming or older games pretty well though.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 112
#4Tyranius2Posted 3/28/2014 1:40:00 PM
You post this AFTER you buy it?
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#5fataliPosted 3/28/2014 2:06:25 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
You post this AFTER you buy it?

This.

Why didn't you ask for advice BEFORE buying it?
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#6squarenixfan119Posted 3/28/2014 4:31:07 PM
ATARIJAWA posted...
I can't believe it was sold or advertised as a gaming laptop. It doesn't have a gaming gpu it has a multimedia gpu. It will handle light gaming or older games pretty well though.

Kinda funny that he is training in advertising.
---
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2705976737.png