This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wait, is Time Warner Cable screwing me in regards to upload speeds?

#11Rolen47Posted 3/28/2014 3:07:34 PM
10:1 ratio is pretty common. Internet providers don't want people using their services to run servers or file sharing/torrents, limiting upload speeds discourages people from doing that.
#12SonyHoundDawgPosted 3/28/2014 3:14:00 PM
^Basically this

But yeah that's a pretty poor ratio. But if that's you got, that's what you got unless you wanna pay for business internets.
#13claytonbuckleyPosted 3/28/2014 3:20:08 PM
at least you don't live in a country where the government makes ISPs throttle upload speeds because torrents.

100Mb/s down 5 up :S
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#14urtvPosted 3/28/2014 4:06:48 PM(edited)
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3399219610

guess i should run a server
#15HorotoPosted 3/28/2014 4:10:33 PM
What do you need 50mbs for anyway?
---
This isnt some Enviroment Group that decided to spill oil in a river for fun - ANARKY
#16kill2thisPosted 3/28/2014 4:59:14 PM
Rolen47 posted...
10:1 ratio is pretty common. Internet providers don't want people using their services to run servers or file sharing/torrents, limiting upload speeds discourages people from doing that.

^This, I'm on 120/12 (UK)
#17Master_BassPosted 3/28/2014 6:43:51 PM
Horoto posted...

There's no reason not to get it if you can afford it. Why wouldn't you want your downloads to complete faster? Especially, for things like big steam games.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#18ShuraYukihimePosted 3/28/2014 6:47:42 PM
We have TWC. We pay close to seventy dollars for a 15/1 connection. Five up from TWC is pretty much as good as you can get in most cases. And depending on location they will screw you. SOmetimes while dry.
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
#19KillerTrufflePosted 3/28/2014 9:45:16 PM
Master_Bass posted...
Horoto posted...

There's no reason not to get it if you can afford it. Why wouldn't you want your downloads to complete faster? Especially, for things like big steam games.

I think he meant why would you need 50 Mb/s *upload*. He'd already have 50 Mb/s down... he was concerned about only 5 up. The question was why would he need such a high upload speed.

I can think of two reasons - torrenting (which I can see getting a little crazy with 50 Mbit up), or serving, which is the reason business plans exist.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#20shdwdrgnixPosted 3/29/2014 2:06:27 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Master_Bass posted...
Horoto posted...

I think he meant why would you need 50 Mb/s *upload*. He'd already have 50 Mb/s down... he was concerned about only 5 up. The question was why would he need such a high upload speed.

I can think of two reasons - torrenting (which I can see getting a little crazy with 50 Mbit up), or serving, which is the reason business plans exist.

Mb/s isn't the same thing as mbps