This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pet peeve: I hate the term "starter PC"

#1imasexywomanPosted 3/28/2014 4:36:55 PM
I mean, such a build that is defined as a starter PC *can* be a gateway to bigger and beefier components. But sometimes that is all a person needs. I focus on playing indie games with the rare mainstream game thrown into the mix, so why would I need more than a $500 build? I think it's 100% fine to stay at this "starter" range if that's what you like. In the next 4 or 5 years, what is $500 will still be more powerful than what you had before.
#2ThePCElitistPosted 3/28/2014 4:48:07 PM
My pet peeve is the phrase "lite gaming" which I see used to describe playing old games or indie games on weak hardware.
#3CC RicersPosted 3/28/2014 4:51:18 PM
You can call it a "console replacement" but that would sound elitist. But nowadays you can already do better than a console with just a GTX 750 Ti.
---
Memo to government: Lobbyists are OP, constituents are in need of buff
#4imasexywoman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 5:34:01 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
My pet peeve is the phrase "lite gaming" which I see used to describe playing old games or indie games on weak hardware.

Yeah... that "lite" gaming can easily clock you hundreds of hours per game if you're playing the right stuff.
#5tinfoil21Posted 3/28/2014 6:38:25 PM(edited)
I hate the term "gamer"
#6QuestofChosenPosted 3/28/2014 6:39:26 PM
ThePCElitist posted...

Yeah I hate when people say they are going to be doing light/lite gaming. Wtf is light/lite gaming?
---
Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
#7Pepys MonsterPosted 3/28/2014 6:40:50 PM
I always thought "light gaming" referred to light demands on the PC.
---
AMD A10 5757M @ 2.5GHz | Radeon 8750M 2GB | Samsung Evo 1TB SSD | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Windows 8
#8AsucaHayashiPosted 3/28/2014 6:54:48 PM
i fricking hate when they use the expression that they "don't want to max crysis" but still something that "lasts a long time" as well as not mentioning a budget in their post too.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#9DarkLagunaPosted 3/28/2014 7:31:16 PM(edited)
Elitism will always be present as long as we humans are involved, and since money is generally the biggest measuring stick, humans will always equate "more expensive" with "better". Even on, in my opinion, stupid things like clothes or sunglasses.

So it's no wonder elitism is so prevalent in the PC gaming crowds, since PC gaming has such a wide range of costs depending on how beefy a rig you want (or need).

Basically, what you're complaining about is base human nature, so don't expect it to change any time in your lifetime.
---
I feel a draft on my butt...
#10furygodsPosted 3/28/2014 7:32:45 PM
I hate the term "The Gods", the gods are too powerful and should not be talked about.
---
Ass Fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3QO0z7Vgwvo#t=78 , Funniest Manga: Oretama.