This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What makes a quiet PC?

#11Freakwave003Posted 3/28/2014 7:15:42 PM
I replaced all the fans with noctua fans. Works well.
---
i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz | GA-Z77-D3H | Corsair H100i | 16GB HyperX Beast | ASUS GTX 770 | Intel 520 SSD | Seasonic 660w Platinum | Corsair 500r
#12FossilPosted 3/28/2014 7:16:24 PM
No fans, low RPM fans, non-stock CPU cooler and GPU's that are not reference design with the small fans. They are loud as hell during load.
---
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1096/austinx.png
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1108/1wyd.png
#13SnadadosPosted 3/28/2014 7:23:19 PM
Delta_F14 posted...
Lots of low rpm fans.

This is probably the biggest factor.
The speed at which the various fans spins is the biggest factor for how loud your PC will be.

Small fans usually have to spin quickly to get acquitted air flow while larger fans can spin slower while giving similar air flow.

The CPU cooler and GPU cooler are usually the two loudest things in your computer.

A good after market cooler, a good fan and a fan profile that gradually ramps up the CPU cooler fan's speed is the most important thing to get a quieter PC.

Next is a GPU.
Most gaming quality GPUs now come with solid coolers already but a custom fan profile is a good, free, way to quite down your PC more when you aren't playing graphically intense games.

Finally are the case fans.
If you already have a bunch of fans and aren't looking to replace them you can get a fan controller to connect them all to to control their speeds.
Even reducing their speed a little can quite case fans down greatly while still giving good air flow.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#14DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/28/2014 7:25:34 PM
Freakwave003 posted...

Noctua is pretty overrated. I have a couple noctua fans and they don't hold a candle to my s-flex.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#15Cobra152004Posted 3/28/2014 10:05:26 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Freakwave003 posted...

Noctua is pretty overrated. I have a couple noctua fans and they don't hold a candle to my s-flex.

I like the Scythe S Flex SFF21F fans at low enough voltage to run at ~850RPM for case and CPU fans. They cool adequately while being almost silent.
#16DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/28/2014 10:35:08 PM
Cobra152004 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Freakwave003 posted...

I like the Scythe S Flex SFF21F fans at low enough voltage to run at ~850RPM for case and CPU fans. They cool adequately while being almost silent.

Yeah, I think those are the same ones I got. Mucho cheapo, and damn near silent around ~800rpm. I have two on intake and one on exhaust. They're the most competent case fans I've ever used.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#17akuma634Posted 3/29/2014 12:04:32 AM
Being a deaf person.
---
"Eli Roth is the worst thing to happen to horror in 20 years." - Josh Hadley on the Radiodrome podcast
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#18LvthnPosted 3/29/2014 12:44:54 AM
Cover it in pillows and blankets, or if you're poor, dirty laundry, to muffle the sound.
#19x ShadowPosted 3/29/2014 1:00:10 AM
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Hfj

This hasn't been updated yet to reflect some of my more recent purchases, but that's me attempting to make a relatively quiet PC. Notice all of the Noctua fans. The PWM ones go onto the Kraken X40 (whose default fan is god awful), and they're pretty much silent. I put the other ones everywhere else. In most of their fan kits Noctua includes a cord with a resistor built in. This causes a voltage drop going out to the fan, which causes them to run at lower RPM. The case also includes a fan controller (which practically does the same thing, just has a switch that controls more than one fan).

Is this silent though? Nope not even close. Once you get enough air circulating in these standard cases, what kind of bearings your fan have... is pretty much irrelevant. =_=; And the issue is that I need a lot of air circulating for that SLI setup. Hell I just recently switched the cooler on one of my GPU's to a Kraken G10 + Corsair H55. All I have to say is that this case was a huge mistake for an SLI setup (which could have been avoided with one of the cards being a blower type, but it's a moot point now). Very limited number of fans in the GPU area, not enough to make a good circulation. If I just got something like the Corsair Air 540 (or alternatively a case with more fan slots in the center area on the door), I would have had a much better time of things in general. Now I've had to literally shove a fan in every slot and it's still not enough.

TL;DR if you want to make a quiet PC, choose your case very wisely. The fans next. Quiet doesn't mean jack if your parts are overheating.
---
THIS TABLE... THIS TABLE!!~~! - Someone from an anime. Tables are very useful, indeed.
Almost orgasmically so.