This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I hate EA but...

#21blax34dmPosted 3/28/2014 8:47:44 PM
Dude EA is scum. They are the reason average game quality has gone downhill so much. Games have always been an industry and the goal of the dev has always been to make a successful, high selling game; but EA took that to the extreme. Maximize profit, minimize cost- EA maximizes profit by huge advertising hype for the same garbage games they've been churning out for years, getting every 13 year old to buy the newest garbage FPS. They minimize costs by making tiny tweaks and never actually making anything new or creative. It's a great business model, and because of it they have ruined games. Activision is up there too for doing this- sell an expansion for $40 even though we put 0 effort into it? Check.

The businessman in me says EA is great, the gamer hates them with a passion. Remember when they were hardcore advertising the gold edition or whatever for BF4 even though the actual game didn't work? Yea, they're not bad...
#22WyzeGyePosted 3/28/2014 8:54:37 PM
EA is actually planning on making this free game thing a regular thing. So keep your eyes trained on the Origin Client for the next one.
---
http://puu.sh/7Eoww/e5f7bf2a73.png
http://puu.sh/7EoG7/ff5a108d5c.png
#23AllmatteredPosted 3/28/2014 8:57:42 PM
blax34dm posted...
Dude EA is scum. They are the reason average game quality has gone downhill so much. Games have always been an industry and the goal of the dev has always been to make a successful, high selling game; but EA took that to the extreme. Maximize profit, minimize cost- EA maximizes profit by huge advertising hype for the same garbage games they've been churning out for years, getting every 13 year old to buy the newest garbage FPS. They minimize costs by making tiny tweaks and never actually making anything new or creative. It's a great business model, and because of it they have ruined games. Activision is up there too for doing this- sell an expansion for $40 even though we put 0 effort into it? Check.

The businessman in me says EA is great, the gamer hates them with a passion. Remember when they were hardcore advertising the gold edition or whatever for BF4 even though the actual game didn't work? Yea, they're not bad...

I have to disagree on this one. Minimize cost and making little tweaks? I think you should be talking about Call of Duty on that one. EA products are quality enough, that you cant deny. What other games have graphics as gorgeous as Crysis' or Battlefield's and do you have any idea how much is spent to make one big budget AAA game? Of course you dont
#24my_name_is_EdPosted 3/28/2014 9:06:01 PM
Allmattered posted...
blax34dm posted...

I have to disagree on this one. Minimize cost and making little tweaks? I think you should be talking about Call of Duty on that one. EA products are quality enough, that you cant deny. What other games have graphics as gorgeous as Crysis' or Battlefield's and do you have any idea how much is spent to make one big budget AAA game? Of course you dont

while i agree he is confusing EA for the CoD series, EA is one of the worst offenders in milking. Just look at Sims 3.
---
http://puu.sh/7uzXq.jpg
Our dearest SBAllen. "Admin by day. Sailor Scout by night."
#25PraetorXynPosted 3/28/2014 9:08:32 PM
Allmattered posted...
blax34dm posted...

Long before CoD became the poster child for yearly rehashing, Madden held that title pretty much uncontested. This is because, among other reasons, EA bought exclusive rights to make NFL games so nobody else could compete, which allowed them to not give a rat's ass about making a better game since people have no alternative other than not playing it.

EA has gutted many beloved studios and ruined many more beloved franchises. Activision is really no better. The gaming industry would be much better off if both of them went belly up tomorrow.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#26blax34dmPosted 3/28/2014 9:20:59 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
Allmattered posted...
blax34dm posted...

Long before CoD became the poster child for yearly rehashing, Madden held that title pretty much uncontested. This is because, among other reasons, EA bought exclusive rights to make NFL games so nobody else could compete, which allowed them to not give a rat's ass about making a better game since people have no alternative other than not playing it.

EA has gutted many beloved studios and ruined many more beloved franchises. Activision is really no better. The gaming industry would be much better off if both of them went belly up tomorrow.

This. Maybe you should educate yourself before you try and go after me.

I'm not confusing anything with CoD, I mentioned activision sucks too. Graphics are great- who cares. That means nothing about creativity or substance. If you are developing a game, what's the easier project- come up with something new and original, or take the same piece of crap you made last time and make it prettier. Do you have any idea where the risks in investments dwell? Of course you dont. Lol.
#27Ivboy1000Posted 3/28/2014 9:49:49 PM
Allmattered posted...
blax34dm posted...

Graphics don't make a quality game though
---
http://i.minus.com/iuvJh30uXVHXB.gif
#28BlackWizardMagusPosted 3/28/2014 10:11:02 PM
Allmattered posted...

Ultima 9--your argument is defeated.
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#29SuperVegito2487Posted 3/28/2014 10:17:42 PM
If the issue is overprizing good/ok games then isnt that better than not changing the price of crappy games??

Nonetheless IIRC all 8 harry potter games are under EA, the first 4 are treated pretty well according to tvtropes... they are also the most uncanon ones...

however calling it 4 games is well... not fitting..

the (deep breath) gbc, gba, pc, ps1, and ps2 games of the first 3 are ALL different (when applicable) ps1 has 1 and 2, ps2, pc and gba has all 3 and gbc also has the first 2...

thats 10 different games... and i ALSO know that the pc and gba version of 4 is different...

damn what a load of games... and i can confirm that most of them are rather fun to play... despite their given age (1-3 on pc doesnt support widescreen resolution which is rather annoying but thats it)
---
Adam Savage: LET'S PILLAGE
Tory Bellici: I don't think that's legal in California
#30Acidic__ThoughtPosted 3/28/2014 10:35:27 PM
Just wanted to chime in that for the Humble Origin Bundle and the PopCap Bundle, there was no option to give EA money. It all went to charity or the HB guys. No adjusting required.
---
i7 4770k @ 4.1ghz | 16gb 2133mhz GSkill Ripjaws | GTX 760 | 250gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD | 1tb 72000 RPM HDD | Corsair H55 Cooling