This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I hate EA but...

#31zeppo_basicPosted 3/28/2014 9:44:10 PM
It is true that EA has screwed a few games up pretty bad over the years, and I also hate seeing annual sequels to games as it gets old and uses up the franchises too quickly. However, EA has proven that they actually won't do that with every game, including their own flagship CoD killer Battlefield, which sees an actual release every about 2-3 years (not including obviously DLC and freemium versions of the game such as Heroes). When they acquired Bioware we all feared that games like KOTOR and Mass Effect would suffer, but they have allowed Bioware to do their own thing and release games as they see fit, although admittedly we might have gotten an actual KOTOR 3 instead of an MMO if they stayed independent.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that EA doesn't destroy everything they touch, they are business men (and women) which means they want to make the most money possible regardless of how they do it, which is capitalism after all and it is what conservative politicians advocate for BTW my American brethren. EA releases annual versions of games like Madden and other sports franchises because PEOPLE KEEP BUYING THEM. It is the same reason Activision releases a CoD game yearly, and why Ubisoft will keep shoving Assassin Creed games down our throats for successive years to come.

The only people to blame for EA and other enormous game companies is ourselves, the consumers. We wanted the market to grow, we demanded more and better quality games, and we desired for gaming to become mainstream. Well the market is larger now than any other form of entertainment in the US, multimillion dollar AAA titles (that are bankrupting smaller companies forcing them to join with a publisher like EA in the first place) are churned out at a steady pace, and thanks to Facebook and cell phones gaming is now mainstream, and this is the reality of it so get used to it. EA may be money grubbing and they may release some bad games, but they also release some really good games and publish for some of the best development studios in the industry. They didn't get to the top by making bad games after all, and EA is one of the few studios that still actually exists from when I was a kid so it has been around for quite some time. My point: don't feel dirty TC; if you buy or play an EA game it doesn't make you evil, it just makes you a gamer.
---
MapleHoodOG
#32my_name_is_EdPosted 3/28/2014 9:44:27 PM
Acidic__Thought posted...
Just wanted to chime in that for the Humble Origin Bundle and the PopCap Bundle, there was no option to give EA money. It all went to charity or the HB guys. No adjusting required.

woooooooooooow. 2 good deeds. Totally makes up for all the companies they've shut down.
---
http://puu.sh/7uzXq.jpg
Our dearest SBAllen. "Admin by day. Sailor Scout by night."
#33Cactuar512Posted 3/28/2014 9:46:48 PM
BuyersRemorse55 posted...
EA is fine overall, stop being so dramatic.

---
Fallout 2>NV>1>3>Every other Fallout game. Don't agree? I don't care.
GameFAQs, where everyone trolls everyone
#34Acidic__ThoughtPosted 3/28/2014 9:55:06 PM
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Acidic__Thought posted...
Just wanted to chime in that for the Humble Origin Bundle and the PopCap Bundle, there was no option to give EA money. It all went to charity or the HB guys. No adjusting required.

woooooooooooow. 2 good deeds. Totally makes up for all the companies they've shut down.

Not saying that any of that would fix anything, I just kind of chuckled at the couple of people who said "I gave all the money to charity and the HB guys". Well of course you did, there was no other option. That's all.
---
i7 4770k @ 4.1ghz | 16gb 2133mhz GSkill Ripjaws | GTX 760 | 250gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD | 1tb 72000 RPM HDD | Corsair H55 Cooling
#35Unbridled9Posted 3/28/2014 9:57:57 PM
killkount posted...
EA sucks overall, nobody is being dramatic.

---
The enemy of knowledge is ignorance, not religion.
#36josh_bPosted 3/28/2014 10:00:40 PM
I personally like EA.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, PNY GTX 780TI SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD updating to i7 shortly
Xbox live: tanis8585
#37MiIkManPosted 3/28/2014 10:00:46 PM
I like a lot of EA games. Dice especially is a phenomenal developer. Origin ain't bad either, though I don't have many games on it, just a handful.

I don't get the hate for EA. Personally, I find Activision to be a far worse company than EA. Why don't people **** on Activision like they do EA?
---
http://i.imgur.com/bYtygRM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Nz5M7Rk.gif
#38imthestuntmanPosted 3/28/2014 10:21:44 PM
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Allmattered posted...
blax34dm posted...
Dude EA is scum. They are the reason average game quality has gone downhill so much. Games have always been an industry and the goal of the dev has always been to make a successful, high selling game; but EA took that to the extreme. Maximize profit, minimize cost- EA maximizes profit by huge advertising hype for the same garbage games they've been churning out for years, getting every 13 year old to buy the newest garbage FPS. They minimize costs by making tiny tweaks and never actually making anything new or creative. It's a great business model, and because of it they have ruined games. Activision is up there too for doing this- sell an expansion for $40 even though we put 0 effort into it? Check.

The businessman in me says EA is great, the gamer hates them with a passion. Remember when they were hardcore advertising the gold edition or whatever for BF4 even though the actual game didn't work? Yea, they're not bad...

I have to disagree on this one. Minimize cost and making little tweaks? I think you should be talking about Call of Duty on that one. EA products are quality enough, that you cant deny. What other games have graphics as gorgeous as Crysis' or Battlefield's and do you have any idea how much is spent to make one big budget AAA game? Of course you dont

while i agree he is confusing EA for the CoD series, EA is one of the worst offenders in milking. Just look at Sims 3.

True, but sims 3 is a great game that aside. They havent ran any of their game franchises i to the ground like tony hawk or music games or call of duty.

Remember how fresh and fun fps and skateboard games and music games were before activision came out with a new one every 10 months? Yeah so do i.

At least if i pick up madden 25 or nhl 14 or nba whatever they call it right now i can still have a blast for hours at a time. The games may not change much from iteration to iteration, but outside of the odd bug here and there generally they are quality games. I cant say that for call of duty. If i picked up ghost having not bought a fps in 4 years id say its crap. If i hadnt bought a sports game from ea in 4 years id think the current iterations are great.

Thats the difference between ea and activision, one is actually maintaining their franchises while milking them, the other isnt. And after alot of bad press ea has gotten rid of a lot of their anti consumer practices that most other companies are still embracing.
---
These minor spelling errors were brought to you by an ipad having no real feedback to enable me to know when i mistype and my own laziness.
#39my_name_is_EdPosted 3/28/2014 10:45:39 PM
imthestuntman posted...
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Allmattered posted...
blax34dm posted...
Dude EA is scum. They are the reason average game quality has gone downhill so much. Games have always been an industry and the goal of the dev has always been to make a successful, high selling game; but EA took that to the extreme. Maximize profit, minimize cost- EA maximizes profit by huge advertising hype for the same garbage games they've been churning out for years, getting every 13 year old to buy the newest garbage FPS. They minimize costs by making tiny tweaks and never actually making anything new or creative. It's a great business model, and because of it they have ruined games. Activision is up there too for doing this- sell an expansion for $40 even though we put 0 effort into it? Check.

The businessman in me says EA is great, the gamer hates them with a passion. Remember when they were hardcore advertising the gold edition or whatever for BF4 even though the actual game didn't work? Yea, they're not bad...

I have to disagree on this one. Minimize cost and making little tweaks? I think you should be talking about Call of Duty on that one. EA products are quality enough, that you cant deny. What other games have graphics as gorgeous as Crysis' or Battlefield's and do you have any idea how much is spent to make one big budget AAA game? Of course you dont

while i agree he is confusing EA for the CoD series, EA is one of the worst offenders in milking. Just look at Sims 3.

True, but sims 3 is a great game that aside. They havent ran any of their game franchises i to the ground like tony hawk or music games or call of duty.

Remember how fresh and fun fps and skateboard games and music games were before activision came out with a new one every 10 months? Yeah so do i.

At least if i pick up madden 25 or nhl 14 or nba whatever they call it right now i can still have a blast for hours at a time. The games may not change much from iteration to iteration, but outside of the odd bug here and there generally they are quality games. I cant say that for call of duty. If i picked up ghost having not bought a fps in 4 years id say its crap. If i hadnt bought a sports game from ea in 4 years id think the current iterations are great.

Thats the difference between ea and activision, one is actually maintaining their franchises while milking them, the other isnt. And after alot of bad press ea has gotten rid of a lot of their anti consumer practices that most other companies are still embracing.

Need For Speed
Mass Effect
KOTOR
Sim City
And if BF4 is any indication, that series is well on it's way.
---
http://puu.sh/7uzXq.jpg
Our dearest SBAllen. "Admin by day. Sailor Scout by night."
#40Acidic__ThoughtPosted 3/28/2014 10:51:21 PM
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Need For Speed
Mass Effect
KOTOR
Sim City
And if BF4 is any indication, that series is well on it's way.

The blatant lies spewed forth by them about Sim City still make me laugh.
---
i7 4770k @ 4.1ghz | 16gb 2133mhz GSkill Ripjaws | GTX 760 | 250gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD | 1tb 72000 RPM HDD | Corsair H55 Cooling