This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I hate EA but...

#41Xeeh_BitzPosted 3/29/2014 12:24:24 AM
I like Origin and the games that EA publishers. I don't care what happens to game studios, that's business and I only care about what games I like to play and a lot of those are on Origin. I have no issue with them being kept on Origin, that's like saying why must I use Steam to play TF2? Steam has a lot more issues than Origin, why can't we play those Steam games on Origin instead? It's a more stable online system. I honestly don't see how people can hate a company and become a child about it, constantly whining about it but putting forth no action. A lot of the hate for EA comes form people trying to be like the next guy. They have no valid opinion of their own and will use whatever reason someone else provides.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#42TimePharaohPosted 3/29/2014 12:29:08 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
I like Origin and the games that EA publishers. I don't care what happens to game studios, that's business and I only care about what games I like to play and a lot of those are on Origin. I have no issue with them being kept on Origin, that's like saying why must I use Steam to play TF2? Steam has a lot more issues than Origin, why can't we play those Steam games on Origin instead? It's a more stable online system. I honestly don't see how people can hate a company and become a child about it, constantly whining about it but putting forth no action. A lot of the hate for EA comes form people trying to be like the next guy. They have no valid opinion of their own and will use whatever reason someone else provides.

9/10
#43dennis941012Posted 3/29/2014 12:36:10 AM
Allmattered posted...
blax34dm posted...
Dude EA is scum. They are the reason average game quality has gone downhill so much. Games have always been an industry and the goal of the dev has always been to make a successful, high selling game; but EA took that to the extreme. Maximize profit, minimize cost- EA maximizes profit by huge advertising hype for the same garbage games they've been churning out for years, getting every 13 year old to buy the newest garbage FPS. They minimize costs by making tiny tweaks and never actually making anything new or creative. It's a great business model, and because of it they have ruined games. Activision is up there too for doing this- sell an expansion for $40 even though we put 0 effort into it? Check.

The businessman in me says EA is great, the gamer hates them with a passion. Remember when they were hardcore advertising the gold edition or whatever for BF4 even though the actual game didn't work? Yea, they're not bad...

I have to disagree on this one. Minimize cost and making little tweaks? I think you should be talking about Call of Duty on that one. EA products are quality enough, that you cant deny. What other games have graphics as gorgeous as Crysis' or Battlefield's and do you have any idea how much is spent to make one big budget AAA game? Of course you dont

graphics? who care about graphic when games are buggy as hell, game can't run properly, crap customer support, and locked away contend. Do you know how many damned series EA ruined?
---
3DS FC: 5214-9942-1912
#44SythisTaruPosted 3/29/2014 12:54:53 AM
Anyone who doesn't like EA is a hipster. Or worse, expelled.
#45WyzeGyePosted 3/29/2014 1:18:32 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

you need to take all that sound reasoning and stick it where the sun don't shine. Do you know where you are, boy?
---
http://puu.sh/7Eoww/e5f7bf2a73.png
http://puu.sh/7EoG7/ff5a108d5c.png
#46ReylynPosted 3/29/2014 3:11:04 AM
I'm sorry but I've been playing video games for over 20 years now, and in all my time playing, there are very few companies who continually make the list of bad gaming companies, but EA always makes it's way in there. Not because the games are poorly animated, sound bad, or even play badly. Usually everything about EA games is great - Except the difficulty curve/AI programming. This has been ramshackle since their Sega days. The games are either incredibly easy, or incredibly difficult, usually with no way to compromise the two. Often the difficulty settings on the few games which offer them do little to actually change the difficulty.

They have terrible AI which is either exploitable, or so pinpoint perfect that it's obvious the developers did nothing to hide the fact that the computer knows exactly where you are and what you're doing at all times. Did I mention an entire series of games has had it's online play compromised due to easily-executed exploits?

Depending on who you ask you could say MULTIPLE series have been wrecked. They've milked a few of their properties to death. Seen a good 007 game recently? No? Seen ANY 007 game recently? Yeah, me either. How about Command and Conquer? They squeezed that lemon to pulp, too.

EA has produced both some of the most hated and loved games around, but their track record is generally poor with consumers, employees, and the industry alike. People are allowed to defend a company if they want, but for anyone saying that everyone's just jumping on the bandwagon and trashing a company they know nothing about, maybe you should try playing most of EA's games. I have, and they leave a terrible taste in my mouth every time. Tastes like wasted potential.
#47AllmatteredPosted 3/29/2014 3:40:27 AM
MiIkMan posted...
I like a lot of EA games. Dice especially is a phenomenal developer. Origin ain't bad either, though I don't have many games on it, just a handful.

I don't get the hate for EA. Personally, I find Activision to be a far worse company than EA. Why don't people **** on Activision like they do EA?

Exactly this ↑. Who's the one milking a certain franchise with little quality improvement? Plus fact is, Activision has actually closed down more studios than EA has.
#48_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 3/29/2014 4:06:29 AM
Keep in mind that EA is just the publisher. For sure, they have some impact on how a game is put on the market. But in the end, to focus on the publisher while ignoring the developer is really entirely too much.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#49ReylynPosted 3/29/2014 3:50:23 PM
I totally disagree Grim, and here's why - The publisher does exactly that, publishes the games. Without a publisher, the game doesn't come out. It's on the publisher, not entirely but in large part, to ensure the game being released is a quality product. Not to mention that EA is NOT only a publisher, but also a developer. For a rather large number of these games, they're damnable in both cases.

The fact that EA continually release their games in various states of disrepair or exploitability screams that their QA department needs to be fired, or that they simply don't really care as long as a game is "good enough." Remember, for the most part we're not talking about MMOs or other such games which will definitively require patches and updates, we're talking about games which are considered finished and ready for market, which arguably many are not.

I realize we've entered an era of internet updates and the like even on our consoles, but that's not an excuse to release heavily-flawed games. You don't usually sell someone a half-finished car on the promise you'll do the rest later, it should be the same for most games.

I would still not call EA the worst company ever as Consumerist did, but I do not consider them to be a reputable gaming company. The fact that they still exist is due more in part to their solid business team making good purchases and abusing the crap out of the intellectual properties they acquired than it is to the quality of their products.
#50WyzeGyePosted 3/29/2014 3:55:44 PM
Reylyn posted...
stuff

Praytell... what heavily-flawed games has EA released lately?
---
http://puu.sh/7Eoww/e5f7bf2a73.png
http://puu.sh/7EoG7/ff5a108d5c.png