This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good laptop at $1000 - $1200 price range?

#11staticxtreme5Posted 3/29/2014 6:27:20 AM
Depends on what you want. If you want the most powerful laptop you can buy with the money, its not for you. If you want a great gaming laptop that is still super portable its perfect.

I love mine, I would recommend it to anyone. I'm not the most demanding gamer, but its played everything I've thrown at it with great settings. Build quality is excellent. For such a thin device it isn't flimsy at all. The screen is excellent, and the backlit keyboard is nice as well.
#12Burayan(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 7:11:56 AM
What games have you thrown at it? Would you recommend getting the Pro?
---
Not changing this sig until a new Jet Set Radio sequel comes out
#13DragnfyrPosted 3/29/2014 7:23:35 AM
What are you planning to use the laptop for? If you want a good laptop for college that is portable, has great battery life, and has great gaming performance you're looking at $1500-$1600+
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#14DoramiPosted 3/29/2014 8:07:42 AM
Do not get the y510p. It has overheat issues on its CPU and primary GPU because of an insane decision to use a single heatsink and fan for both the CPU and discrete GPU.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/732097-lenovo-y510p-heat-fan-question.html
http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y410p_y510p_hmm.pdf

It also has overheat problems on the secondary GPU (if you choose a configuration with SLI), because it's crammed into an optical drive slot that doesn't leave it enough room to dissipate heat.

The MSI Stealth doesn't have this issue. But it's an aluminum body, so expect it to be more delicate than a plastic model.
---
3DS FC: 1246-9917-4900 | Pokemon X: IGN: Jing | Safari: Ground: Phanpy, Camerupt, Diggersby
NNID: StareRoe | PSN: Raftina
#15staticxtreme5Posted 3/29/2014 8:23:57 AM
Burayan posted...

Yeah the Pro is the new model so of course it would be the one to get. I've played Skyrim with mods, New Vegas with mods, Civilization 5, Bioshock Infinite, World of Warcraft, Tomb Raider, and Far Cry 3. All of those games played maxed or very near max with solid frame rates. If you want to see what to expect visit notebookcheck.com and search for the GPU benchmarks. Its very helpful with what to expect in terms of performance.

Also, I'm not really sure why the above poster is saying that the stealth being aluminum will make it less solid than plastic. I've had plastic laptops before and I can say for certain the stealth is way more solid.
#16Fade2black001Posted 3/29/2014 8:27:07 AM
PharohofLaptops posted...
You can't game on a laptop, let alone play games at mid-high settings oni t.

whats with all these laptop threads where people ask for things that are impossible?

Stop trolling toilet paper
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#17Burayan(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 9:27:10 AM
Dragnfyr posted...
What are you planning to use the laptop for? If you want a good laptop for college that is portable, has great battery life, and has great gaming performance you're looking at $1500-$1600+

1. Schoolwork
2. Photoediting (I am a photographer and I mostly use lightroom and sometimes photoshop)
3. Gaming (Mostly Dota 2, but would like to try more games)

Hopefully something that can last me 3-5 years of use?

If that isn't possible, maybe I'll settle for a desktop instead and just use my iPad for taking notes at school (I don't usually like it because I have to re-do everything when transfering files from pages to MS word)
---
#18Burayan(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 9:27:54 AM
staticxtreme5 posted...
Burayan posted...

Yeah the Pro is the new model so of course it would be the one to get. I've played Skyrim with mods, New Vegas with mods, Civilization 5, Bioshock Infinite, World of Warcraft, Tomb Raider, and Far Cry 3. All of those games played maxed or very near max with solid frame rates. If you want to see what to expect visit notebookcheck.com and search for the GPU benchmarks. Its very helpful with what to expect in terms of performance.

Also, I'm not really sure why the above poster is saying that the stealth being aluminum will make it less solid than plastic. I've had plastic laptops before and I can say for certain the stealth is way more solid.

thanks man! I'll take the GS70 stealth into consideration.
---
#19PsyborgasmPosted 3/29/2014 9:30:44 AM
Burayan posted...
How is the MSI stealth? worth it? Should I go for the pro?

Just bought the apache pro from MSi. It runs every game ive tried on high with good fps.
#20staticxtreme5Posted 3/29/2014 9:42:49 AM
Psyborgasm posted...
Burayan posted...
How is the MSI stealth? worth it? Should I go for the pro?

Just bought the apache pro from MSi. It runs every game ive tried on high with good fps.

Yeah the Apache is a good model too. I think for TCs needs the Stealth would be better suited though. Its a very mobile laptop. Most gaming laptops are bulky and heavy. This laptop is thin and very light weight.