This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a way to disable the Window 8 "tablet" UI?

#11ShubPosted 3/29/2014 5:07:41 AM
Just have him press the power button of his tower for a second or less. Doing that initiates an ACPI shutdown sequence, which is also what doing Start | Shut Down in previous versions of Windows does.
However you may have to make sure the power settings are set to shut down the computer when the power button is pressed. That's a behavior that may be customized.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/14956-power-button-action-change-windows-8-a.html

nameless0101 posted...
He can also just right click the start button and there is a shut down option there. Not much use if he forgets it instantly but worth a shot.

That's probably the easiest method (just change your habit from left-clicking the Start menu to right-clicking it), but note that it is only available in Windows 8.1.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#12Grave_monkPosted 3/29/2014 5:11:33 AM
MrMonkhouse posted...
WyzeGye posted...
click the desktop, press alt-f4

alternatively, right click on the start button and the power options are right there in the context menu

Yes. I keep telling him that but he keeps forgetting it.

Paper+pen=permanent reminder.
---
-MELON MELON MELON- -OUT OF CHEESE ERROR-
3DS FC : 1332-8300-9200 @ Dwebble, onix, and barbaracle
#13betatechPosted 3/29/2014 5:34:59 AM
I'd just give him classicshell, you can also disable the corners in one of the settings so it acts mostly like Vista/7 (with exceptions of course).
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#14BeerOnTapPosted 3/29/2014 5:41:00 AM
Making a shutdown button within the start screen is really easy.
I like being able to place the programs/options I use most in my start screen.
#15MithrilMonarchPosted 3/29/2014 6:34:07 AM
Why would you want to? It's a better UI.

Inb4 rage.
---
My hat is a boot, your argument is invalid.
Genwunners and Smogon worshippers are the lowest forms of life.
#16Mr_DelcroixPosted 3/29/2014 6:42:10 AM
WyzeGye posted...
why would you want to? Honestly People... What's so hard about hitting the windows key on your keyboard, typing in the first 3 letters of the program or file you want to open and pressing enter?

Because not everyone on the internet believes new = good like some dumb sheep.
#17staticxtreme5Posted 3/29/2014 7:18:33 AM
I don't get all the hate of Windows 8 either. I much prefer the start screen to the start menu. Change isn't always good, but it isn't always bad either like the above user is insinuating.
#18ShpooplePosted 3/29/2014 10:14:58 AM
Mr_Delcroix posted...

Because not everyone on the internet believes new = good like some dumb sheep.

So the people who actually tried windows 8 and realised it was superior are dumb sheep, yet those who have never used it and rehash the same weak arguments against it are not?
#19ThePCElitistPosted 3/29/2014 10:28:35 AM
MithrilMonarch posted...
Why would you want to? It's a better UI.

Inb4 rage.

Said no one ever. There's a reason Windows 8 is a flop and has made no profit.
#20KaiRyusakiPosted 3/29/2014 10:35:47 AM
I agree with tc.
I really hate how Windows 8 UI is optimized for mouses. Bad decision on microsofts behalf.