This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It is faster to send a packet to Europe than a pixel to your screen

#1Kerr AvonPosted 3/29/2014 6:31:48 AM
I didn't realise LCD's were so relatively slow at updating the display, but according to John Carmack (famous programmer of Doom, Quake, Rage, etc) "Itís faster to send a packet to Europe than a pixel to [your] screen"

Selectively copied and pasted from the article:

"Modern monitor technologies, despite having their own advantages, tend to have more lag than classic CRT screens did. A CRT can paint a pixel on the screen about 5-10 times faster than an LCD, depending on the quality of the display.

With LCDs, there is also the loss of time from HID processing, input path latency, and time for the LCD panels to physically flip around. You can be standing around tapping your foot for a totally unreasonable 4-20ms just waiting for the LCD panels to change. Adding additional screens or post-processing effects will add additional frames to your wait due to video driver lag. It all adds up to a transatlantic packet being speedier than your own computer monitor.
"

It doesn't really matter of course, as I've never noticed it in PC usage, nor have I ever seen anyone else mention it anywhere (and if it was a problem then it would be complained about all over the 'net), in fact every gamer I've heard from loves their LCD screens.

And it's yet another advantage of CRT screens over LCD! Amazing that decades old technology is better in some ways than others, though I suppose that might be partly down to how fast LCD monitors were invented and improved, and if manufacturers had not been in such a rush to create marketable products then the end result would have been better. Plus cost no doubt plays a factor.

Still, I've no complaints about any of my LCD screens (standalone and laptop). I do miss my CRT TV for console gaming, as older consoles don't look great on LCD TV's due to the TV having trouble with such low resolution inputs, but PCs of course don't have that problem.

http://www.geek.com/chips/john-carmack-explains-why-its-faster-to-send-a-packet-to-europe-than-a-pixel-to-your-screen-1487079/
---
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#2LordSeiferPosted 3/29/2014 6:34:00 AM
i cant ping europe in 4 to 20 ms
---
^ this
#3Killah PriestPosted 3/29/2014 6:42:41 AM
I still have a 36" CRT HDTV.

Its like 300lbs.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#4R_BrockPosted 3/29/2014 6:54:00 AM
LordSeifer posted...

He must be talking theoretical ping times. Like your packet travels the most direct route and there's no other traffic jockeying for position.
---
http://awfulcontent.com my perpetually unfinished website.
#5Kerr Avon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 7:17:32 AM
Killah Priest posted...
I still have a 36" CRT HDTV.

Its like 300lbs.

I know, larger CRTs weighed a ton :o( . Also used a lot more electricity than LCDs, apparently, which doesn't exactly help the global warming problem. On the other hand, CRT monitors gave me eye-strain, which LCD monitors rarely do (and I still think that most of the cause of my needing glasses is from the many hours I spent programming as kid, when using the TV with my home computers).
---
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#6CELTEKKPosted 3/29/2014 8:15:30 AM
R_Brock posted...
LordSeifer posted...

He must be talking theoretical ping times. Like your packet travels the most direct route and there's no other traffic jockeying for position.

probably, but then the article is pointless. I live in Boston, pretty much as close to Europe you can be while you're in America, and I can't ping Europe in 4-20ms either. saying its theoretical is pointless, because theoretical doesnt equal what actually happens
---
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
#7halomonkey1_3_5Posted 3/29/2014 8:24:28 AM
my old 60" CRT HDTV weighed a ton

I was so happy when it broke(new TV!) until I realized I had to move it down a flight of stairs to get it out of my house :(
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#8DragnfyrPosted 3/29/2014 8:26:08 AM
Doesn't a ping include return time as well?
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#9wildog2006Posted 3/29/2014 8:35:35 AM
My monitor has a 1ms response time. I call shenanigans.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#10R_BrockPosted 3/29/2014 8:42:34 AM
I would agree.

I know ten years ago, on this board even, people were split on CRT vs LCD: which is better. Maybe Mr. Carmack still has some preferential bias and the downsides of LCD's have been dealt with largely and anything that can be argued technically, the consumer has made it clear that LCD's current deficiencies don't matter.
---
http://awfulcontent.com my perpetually unfinished website.