This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

SWTOR vs. WoW.

#31d209999Posted 3/30/2014 9:28:50 AM
MaDHat posted...
CELTEKK posted...
people still play wow?

yikes.

Not only that, but amazingly there is a new expansion coming out. The game just won't die.

haters gonna hate
---
*under construction*
#32happyscrub1Posted 3/30/2014 9:32:05 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
happyscrub1 posted...
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131470-League-of-Legends-Nets-624-Million-Total-in-Revenue-Last-Year

Top 8 And not including their subscription money

And F2P games are making big bucks. Even if 99% gamefaqers think games like Maple Story and World of Tanks are stupid, you can't deny the cash flow.

I don't trust it. Superdata doesn't put their information out in the open.

It would be more trustworthy if the data came straight from EA's quarterly reports. Do you even look at things before you post them?

The denial is strong in this one. You mad because despite all your EA/SWTOR trolling that the game makes 100's of millions each year.
---
Who is happyscrub? Click to find out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRaxB9eK1X4
#33ShadowThaReaperPosted 3/30/2014 9:49:59 AM
happyscrub1 posted...

The denial is strong in this one. You mad because despite all your EA/SWTOR trolling that the game makes 100's of millions each year.

There's no proof that it's still not a $300 million sinkhole. And with barely anyone even playing, it's hard to believe that they are making any money.
#34happyscrub1Posted 3/30/2014 10:14:15 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
happyscrub1 posted...

There's no proof that it's still not a $300 million sinkhole. And with barely anyone even playing, it's hard to believe that they are making any money.

Then prove barely anyone is playing or it's a money sinkhole.
---
Who is happyscrub? Click to find out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRaxB9eK1X4
#35BogePosted 3/30/2014 12:58:15 PM(edited)
Having played both, and having them both be my number 1 and 2 MMOs I've played, here are my thoughts.

World of Warcraft of old was awesome. It had the challenge, the reward, the atmosphere. Overall it was just an awesome experience. It's since become very bad. The entire game aside from raiding has become a 5 year olds game. It's silly with cutesy races and jokey quests, even the instances and bosses are just too silly. The difficulty has vanished. You can level up in a flash, which results in you having ZERO challenge in any zones that is at your level. You'll be 5 levels over a zone you just started in because you level too quickly. You can gather up 6-8 enemies, close your eyes, and just start pressing random keys on your keyboard and win without breaking a sweat. The players are all impatient. They don't want to know you or play with you. They just want you to blow through an instance with them as fast as possible so they can get their loot. They're rude and impatient. It's also all about a competition to see who can beat the content the fastest, who has the best mount, the best equipment, does the most damage, etc. It's just not a fun game anymore at all.

SWTOR to me plays much more like what WoW did in the beginning. You have to know your classes strengths and weaknesses and you have to know what skills to use and when to use them. You need to coordinate with your group to really shine. So the challenge is there, which is much needed for me. The single player game is probably the best I've played in an MMO. It's much like a single player RPG. It has a good story with excellent voice acting. It's just fun choosing your conversations and good or bad choices. They've also done the multiplayer perfect with the questing and conversations. Companions really are the biggest difference with this and others. It's just a pleasure knowing that I can get my friend and our companions and go complete flashpoints, even hard mode. It's QUITE the challenge, but doable and very fun trying. I never did any operations (raids) since I didn't have enough friends playing, and after my WoW experience, I refuse to play with strangers. So I don't know how fun they are, but the flashpoints were awesome, so I expect the operations would be too. I really enjoyed the single player flying missions. They were like Rebel Assault from the 90s. The gear in the game isn't very exciting, but it works. Crafting is pretty much the same as other MMOs.

So today, gameplay in Star Wars is better, but it has a LOT less content than WoW. That about sums it up for me. I never did PvP in Swtor, and hated it in WoW anyway, so I won't comment there.

Try Star wars for free, and do a trial of WoW for 20 levels (about 5 minutes, ha ha!) and decide from there.

Oh, and don't listen to Shadow. I wouldn't have even known he'd posted here because I'm ignoring him (quotes from others). He never has anything positive to say about anything. He's just a lonely sad sorry SOB who knows no other way to get attention but the bad kind.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#36ShadowThaReaperPosted 3/30/2014 1:03:39 PM
Boge posted...
Oh, and don't listen to Shadow. I wouldn't have even known he'd posted here because I'm ignoring him (quotes from others). He never has anything positive to say about anything. He's just a lonely sad sorry SOB who knows no other way to get attention but the bad kind.

"Don't listen to the people who criticize my precious game. Pls play it. Pls."
#37NeninaPosted 3/30/2014 2:45:05 PM
SWtor is doing so well that it could be building up to make a comeback. You would certainly love for the game to die, but it's beginning to realistically have potential to become more powerful than you can imagine.
#38AnatomyHorrorPosted 3/30/2014 9:40:00 PM
Played SWTOR for a few months, played WoW for a few years.

SWTOR is a WoW wannabe set in the Star Wars Universe. It really can't be put any other way. The only thing is, WoW does everything much better. WoW has better class diversity, more skills, more PVP options, more raid options, better combat, better environments etc.

SWTOR is pretty terrible.

If you want an alternative MMO to try, check out TERA Online. If you like WoW's PVP and want something more pvp oriented play Smite.
#39majinbuu58Posted 3/30/2014 10:23:37 PM
AnatomyHorror posted...
Played SWTOR for a few months, played WoW for a few years.

SWTOR is a WoW wannabe set in the Star Wars Universe. It really can't be put any other way. The only thing is, WoW does everything much better. WoW has better class diversity, more skills, more PVP options, more raid options, better combat, better environments etc.

SWTOR is pretty terrible.

If you want an alternative MMO to try, check out TERA Online. If you like WoW's PVP and want something more pvp oriented play Smite.

I'd say the only thing WoW has better is raiding. That's it. There's more classes but I feel like the gameplay is 100% the same regardless of what class I play. Cover, heat, and ammunition mixes it up a little bit on SWTOR.
#4032x2zPosted 3/30/2014 10:55:22 PM
Smakkyoface posted...
If I wanted to get into WOW? How much is the upfront cost? I'm just curious, the game has been out since I was in 7th grade so I'm not sure how many expansion packs I have to buy by now.

74.99 for every expansion. I just got it the other day.