This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sleeping Dogs has been a pleasant surprise.

#1steelix55Posted 3/30/2014 8:03:32 AM
Picked it up for 5 bucks on Friday. Really enjoying it so far. It actually does some things better than GTA, such as clicking one button to automatically set waypoints. The graphics are also extremely impressive for a 2012 game. Maxed out, it looks better than Infamous: Second Son on PS4. The story and characters are very interesting, and the melee combat is as fun as it is in the Batman Arkham series. Only complaint is the driving mechanics, but they aren't TERRIBLE. Just not as good as GTA. Just thought I would post in case anyone was thinking of picking it up on Steam before the sale ends.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz || 212 EVO || GTX 780 || Vengeance 16GB RAM || 1TB HDD || ASRock Z68 E3G3 MB || Corsair TX750 PSU || 12X BD-ROM || Win7 x64
#2SlaynPosted 3/30/2014 8:07:19 AM
I agree on all points, and this coming from someone who doesn't like GTA. I just really couldn't get in to playing a crook. I like undercover cop though :P
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#3Cobra1010Posted 3/30/2014 8:12:14 AM
Yeah it liked it a lot till i 100%'ed it. Its sandbox with batman fighting mechanics but with kung-fu which was very very fun. I enjoyed it a lot. Loved all the brawls/fight clubs too.

I really hope they make another one in the future.
---
GG Riot
http://i.imgur.com/Hs8Y1vQ.png
#4steelix55(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2014 8:13:40 AM
Oh, I also forgot to mention that I am having some issue with the cutscenes. If a cutscene lasts a long time, sometimes the game will kick me out of Fullscreen mode, and into Windowed mode. Not a huge deal, because you can just go into options and fix it real quick, but it is a little annoying. For the $5 bucks I paid though, it is hard to complain about it.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz || 212 EVO || GTX 780 || Vengeance 16GB RAM || 1TB HDD || ASRock Z68 E3G3 MB || Corsair TX750 PSU || 12X BD-ROM || Win7 x64
#5steelix55(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2014 8:15:23 AM
Cobra1010 posted...
Yeah it liked it a lot till i 100%'ed it. Its sandbox with batman fighting mechanics but with kung-fu which was very very fun. I enjoyed it a lot. Loved all the brawls/fight clubs too.

I really hope they make another one in the future.

Supposedly they are. Sleeping Dogs: Triad Wars. I read a little about it on Wikipedia.
---
#6Cpt_CrackerPosted 3/30/2014 8:26:22 AM
Should I get the base game only or the collection for 10 bucks?
#7SlaynPosted 3/30/2014 8:31:26 AM
I'm not sure how pivotal the DLC is honestly. Most of it seems cosmetic. There is at least one good DLC from what I hear. The difference in price isn't huge, go for it.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#8cancerstormPosted 3/30/2014 8:38:31 AM(edited)
I got the dlc pack for $12, two are story dlc which add a few more hours gameplay

dont recommend getting it early game since it adds
a lot of xp and cash making the game too easy
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#9Paulo_LopesPosted 3/30/2014 8:45:26 AM
Most of the DLC is cosmetic and pretty useless to be honest, there are 3 extra campaigns though

the first is a side story involving supernatural elements that is fun but short, you fight chinese styled zombies and demons and you getto use a wooden sword to get some variety on the fighting as well. Unfortunately it is completely independent from you normal game file and you don't even get to unlock the sword for your normal game.

the second is an old school martial arts tournament flick based story, it is accessed from your normal game file, it is the most fun out of the 3 campaigns and you unlock 2 skins (muay thai and MMA based) each having one new attack based on their style. It is short but pretty cool if you are into old school martial arts movies... big chance you are if you are playing this game.

The last one is also an independent campaign that happens after the normal story mode and deals with a terrorist group that believes the world as we know it is about to end during the Chinese new year. It is faiirly boring to be honest and again... it is short.

If the full pack is cheap... get it... they are not AMAZING dlc but they have their moments and some skins are pretty fun.
---
~~ The self-appointed Immortal Iron Fist of the C&GN Board. ~~
#10AnimorganimatePosted 3/30/2014 8:46:38 AM
Sleeping Dogs is one of my top three games of 2012. I got it on sale also, and was convinced I probably wouldn't like it (since I'm not a fan of GTA or their clones). However, Sleeping Dogs kicked me in the nuts and taught me not to judge anything based on a few vague description tags. It's a gem of a game.
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.