This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I see so many people build their gaming PC like this

#11godplaysSNESPosted 3/30/2014 11:18:40 AM
Going with higher clocked RAM is for the most part useless, but long term, I'd definitely skimp on the video card instead of the CPU.

It's a pain once your CPU becomes the bottleneck.
It's very easy to upgrade the video card later on, the new generations often bring alot more performance to the table.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#12Unsugarized_FooPosted 3/30/2014 12:04:04 PM
godplaysSNES posted...
Going with higher clocked RAM is for the most part useless, but long term, I'd definitely skimp on the video card instead of the CPU.

It's a pain once your CPU becomes the bottleneck.
It's very easy to upgrade the video card later on, the new generations often bring alot more performance to the table.

This is pretty much what I was thinking when I did something similar. I got a 7870, sold it for $50 more than I bought it, and picked up a 9800GT for free. No regrets, not one.
---
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana
#13KidInTheHallPosted 3/30/2014 12:11:14 PM
I followed most of the advice I got here and stuck with an i5, now I do have 16gb of ram but that's because I didn't want any gaps between my DIMM slots. I got GSkill Ares Metallic blue and it's so damn sexy.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#14JockoPosted 3/30/2014 12:55:08 PM
KidInTheHall posted...
I followed most of the advice I got here and stuck with an i5, now I do have 16gb of ram but that's because I didn't want any gaps between my DIMM slots. I got GSkill Ares Metallic blue and it's so damn sexy.

"Stuck with an i5"? What are you trying to do that you're i5 can't do over an i7?
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#15SmakkyofacePosted 3/30/2014 1:09:41 PM
If I were on a budget, I think it would be a smarter choice to invest on the processor, motherboard, and ram since those get upgraded less often. Then I'll just buy a new video card every other year.

So that build makes more sense than

Pentium G3220
8gb ddr3 1333
SLI GTX TITAN Z
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 4770k @ 4ghz | 32GB DDR3 1866 (20GB RamDisk) | SLI Evga Gtx 780ti | lots of hdd storage
#16WyzeGyePosted 3/30/2014 1:12:30 PM
Jocko posted...

I think you misunderstood what he was saying.
---
http://puu.sh/7Eoww/e5f7bf2a73.png
http://puu.sh/7EoG7/ff5a108d5c.png
#17DawnshadowPosted 3/30/2014 2:02:22 PM
I did something like that with my new PC (although not QUITE that much overkill on the RAM and processor.) My choice was to upgrade the video card now, or use my old video card for a while longer and go higher quality on the stuff that's not so easy to swap out.
---
Pokemon X - 2664-2616-4997 - Munna, Sigilyph, Duosion - PM me!
#18bkkorpsPosted 3/30/2014 2:17:53 PM
to be fair in December I built a new computer and didn't buy a new graphics card yet. I wanted to see what the 800 series looks like (especially since I will be getting a 1440p monitor to go with it), so right now my build is a little lop sided

i7 4770k
16gb ram (looking more into using a RAMdisk for some games)
GTX 460 (which is holding up surprisingly well)

so within the next year this will become much more balanced.
---
Religion is like circumcision. If you wait until someone is 21 to tell them about it, they probably won't be interested.
#19CELTEKKPosted 3/30/2014 2:41:52 PM
Jocko posted...
KidInTheHall posted...

"Stuck with an i5"? What are you trying to do that you're i5 can't do over an i7?

errr, he's saying he stuck with the i5 instead of going with the i7, and in retrospect, was a good decision.
---
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
#20JockoPosted 3/30/2014 6:12:28 PM
CELTEKK posted...
Jocko posted...
KidInTheHall posted...

errr, he's saying he stuck with the i5 instead of going with the i7, and in retrospect, was a good decision.

Whoops a daisy! Me read gooder next time!
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.