This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I see so many people build their gaming PC like this

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I see so many people build their gaming PC like this
1 year ago#21
I see a lot of pre-built computers like that. i7, 12gb memory, gt640 gaming computer.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
1 year ago#22
Is an i5 over an i7 a good move? I am told nothing really utilizes the i7 and to sink the difference into the GPU.
---
"Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer." - Scott Stratten
1 year ago#23
I have a backup budget gpu I use in case I have to RMA or I sold my good ones to buy new ones with. You don't want to be out of the game while you wait.
1 year ago#24
JenniferTate posted...
Is an i5 over an i7 a good move? I am told nothing really utilizes the i7 and to sink the difference into the GPU.

Meh for an extra 100$ your future proofing a part that depending your Your heatsink can be a bit of a pita to change out. Frankly it's what I did i7 but still using my old 1600 8gb ram and 6950 mostly because I plan in a few months to upgrade my video card and didn't want to order more parts then I can pay of in bill me layers no interest 6 month period though.
---
If its elitist to want decent performance, accountability, and class knowledge from the people you play with... SIGN ME UP!
1 year ago#25
Neo_PortaPotty posted...
JenniferTate posted...

Meh for an extra 100$ your future proofing a part that depending your Your heatsink can be a bit of a pita to change out. Frankly it's what I did i7 but still using my old 1600 8gb ram and 6950 mostly because I plan in a few months to upgrade my video card and didn't want to order more parts then I can pay of in bill me layers no interest 6 month period though.

Makes sense. I'm sure every month I put this off the i7 becomes more and more relevant.
---
"Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer." - Scott Stratten
1 year ago#26
Neo_PortaPotty posted...
JenniferTate posted...

Within value/budget constraints, it most certainly isn't worth it for 99.9% of people.

TBH, it's more of a placebo effect for the average builder on this board since they have budgets and are better off with an i3 or possibly an i5 with more going towards the GPU.

I was curious and bought a Pentium G3420 for $70 off Amazon a month ago and put it in a build that currently had an i7-4770k + 780, and long story short...the difference in all but very few select instances was absolutely nothing (and even those select circumstances, it was minor) in regards to office productivity, gaming, photos/video, browsing, multitasking (unless you're gaming in windowed mode with multiple other apps running), etc.

Otherwise, every other task the average user would be building a PC for is an equal experience. I've used i3's, i5's, i7's, OC'd various processors and cards, had everything from an R7 260, GTX 750, 660 and SLI 660, 670, 780, etc. and it really changes your view when you realize a lot of it is marketing and psychological outside of specific app/benchmarks that most people won't use or notice the difference anyways.

An i3 (and even lower end processors nowadays) for the majority of users will be as good of an investment within their budget with a higher GPU, as an i5 or i7.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
1 year ago#27
I don't check build suggestions / request threads anymore, but it seems like most of the people prioritized price for performance while keeping futureproofing in mind.
---
"planetside 2 would only have 30 people running around on a small map fighting."
- GunWolfAlpha
1 year ago#28
Conker posted...
Neo_PortaPotty posted...
JenniferTate posted...

Within value/budget constraints, it most certainly isn't worth it for 99.9% of people.

TBH, it's more of a placebo effect for the average builder on this board since they have budgets and are better off with an i3 or possibly an i5 with more going towards the GPU.

I was curious and bought a Pentium G3420 for $70 off Amazon a month ago and put it in a build that currently had an i7-4770k + 780, and long story short...the difference in all but very few select instances was absolutely nothing (and even those select circumstances, it was minor) in regards to office productivity, gaming, photos/video, browsing, multitasking (unless you're gaming in windowed mode with multiple other apps running), etc.

Otherwise, every other task the average user would be building a PC for is an equal experience. I've used i3's, i5's, i7's, OC'd various processors and cards, had everything from an R7 260, GTX 750, 660 and SLI 660, 670, 780, etc. and it really changes your view when you realize a lot of it is marketing and psychological outside of specific app/benchmarks that most people won't use or notice the difference anyways.

An i3 (and even lower end processors nowadays) for the majority of users will be as good of an investment within their budget with a higher GPU, as an i5 or i7.

Placebo now a year or to from now not so much and again while not that hard its much more annoying swapping a CPU than a GPU. Also while if you absolutely can't afford it an i5 is fine but in the long run it would be better to just get the i7 now for the extra 100$ and I hate to say it but I. The grand scheme of computers that's not that much and use your current GPU a little longer to save up the difference unless your current GPU won't play games at all. Why skimp on the overall more I portent pc piece the CPU. Though admittedly I was upgrading from a phenom ii x4 so fairly big jump for me.
---
If its elitist to want decent performance, accountability, and class knowledge from the people you play with... SIGN ME UP!
1 year ago#29
Neo_PortaPotty posted...
Placebo now a year or to from now not so much and again while not that hard its much more annoying swapping a CPU than a GPU. Also while if you absolutely can't afford it an i5 is fine but in the long run it would be better to just get the i7 now for the extra 100$ and I hate to say it but I. The grand scheme of computers that's not that much and use your current GPU a little longer to save up the difference unless your current GPU won't play games at all. Why skimp on the overall more I portent pc piece the CPU. Though admittedly I was upgrading from a phenom ii x4 so fairly big jump for me.

That can apply to almost any product or service that someone can't simply evaluate the short vs long-term value proposition of.

Someone has to settle on something for numerous reasons, and weigh the opportunity costs. Which is the whole point of marketing and why it's often a placebo...it makes someone feel better that they got the "it" product or the "better" product, or imagine they're seeing a difference, when in reality they could have "settled" on the alternative and been as equally satisfied or affected. Even though their uses or requirements aren't actually needing that more costly product or brand and the difference will not be worth it to them, the psychological factor or social influence is enough that they justify the purchase from the way it makes them feel better, even if another product would have accomplished the same things during that time period.

There is always going to be something better if you have limited resources, and there is always going to be someone with more resources looking down at the others saying, "Why aren't you getting the same as me?" or "Well it's only this amount difference, you could just spend more for it." So if spending $100 extra on an i7-4770k is a long-term value proposition from you, someone else could see the i7-4930k or 4960x to be worth it. Yet over the next 2-4yrs an i3 now and an i3 then could satisfy that persons requirements, but they'd feel better getting that i5 even if it ends up not influencing their experience in the slightest.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
1 year ago#30
Neo_PortaPotty posted...
Conker posted...
Neo_PortaPotty posted...
JenniferTate posted...

CPU is the last thing I look at when upgrading my pc. Just look at my current build everything on it is top notch besides my CPU and I max out everything I throw at it. of course my CPU is overclocked a good bit but as long as the CPU is at least sorta new I don't bother.

Considering they didn't do anything special with the CPU's for the new consoles I can imagine a i5 is going to last a long long time before something hits that really pushes CPU usage to a whole new level.... for 90% of games anyway. I have a i7 that im going to put into my case but that's simply because ive started back doing graphics and 3d modeling which I haven't done in years which requires a better CPU.... but I still find my i5 is managing right now even doing that.... longer render times but im in no rush.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, PNY GTX 780TI SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD updating to i7 shortly
Xbox live: tanis8585
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I see so many people build their gaming PC like this

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived