This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Going to be building my first computer tomorrow. Anything I should know?

#1Xa3r0xPosted 3/30/2014 11:41:30 PM
I've looked at multiple tutorials on youtube and got a feel of what to do, even though I've never built one myself. My last build, almost two years ago, was built by my brother and I watched him the whole time. I bought new parts last week and they're coming in tomorrow.

Current Specs -
AMD Phenom II X4 965
ASUS M5A97 Mobo
Corsaire Vengenace 8gb RAM
Radeon HD 6870
500 GB HDD (no idea what brand, I've had it for years)
128gb Crucial SSD
Corsair CX600

New Parts -
Gigabyte Z87 MX-DH3
Gigabyte GTX 770
Intel i5-4670k
Cooler Master Evo 212 HSF
3TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

I plan on using my RAM, SSD, HDD, and PSU.
---
League of Legends - LOL ITS X
steamcommunity.com/id/sarjil
#2jedinatPosted 3/31/2014 12:01:19 AM
I'll take your 6870, please.
#3datopgamerPosted 3/31/2014 12:05:40 AM
Make sure you ground yourself and discharge static before doing the build. Dont try to force parts into their slots as you might bend or break something. All parts tend to have only one spot to go so if it requires more than a small push to get into slot its probably not in right place.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#4Xa3r0x(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2014 12:10:25 AM
jedinat posted...
I'll take your 6870, please.

I'm willing to sell it. I just don't know what a reasonable price for it would be.
---
#5ThatOneGuysHairPosted 3/31/2014 12:13:16 AM
it's very important to make sure your cpu is aligned properly before lowering the tension plate and applying pressure to the loading mechanism

it is doubly important, while applying pressure to said loading mechanism, for the first time builder to constantly second guess how much pressure is required, because oh my god this takes so much pressu--RE*crackling noise* --ogdplzno my preciouscpuandmotherboard
#6Xa3r0x(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2014 12:15:34 AM
ThatOneGuysHair posted...
it's very important to make sure your cpu is aligned properly before lowering the tension plate and applying pressure to the loading mechanism

it is doubly important, while applying pressure to said loading mechanism, for the first time builder to constantly second guess how much pressure is required, because oh my god this takes so much pressu--RE*crackling noise* --ogdplzno my preciouscpuandmotherboard

That's what I'm worried about most. The videos I saw said there is going to be resistance when lowering down the loading mech, and not to worry. But I am worried about it lol.
---
#7Neo_PortaPottyPosted 3/31/2014 1:54:29 AM
Xa3r0x posted...

That's what I'm worried about most. The videos I saw said there is going to be resistance when lowering down the loading mech, and not to worry. But I am worried about it lol.

Hehe cpu is bad but ill take it to the 24 pin any day I still haven't gotten mine to latch in properly though it runs fine but god my motherboard was creaking ominously.
---
If its elitist to want decent performance, accountability, and class knowledge from the people you play with... SIGN ME UP!
#8josh_bPosted 3/31/2014 1:58:49 AM
Xa3r0x posted...

I always put the cpu in before I mount the motherboard in the case. that way the board can't bow under the force... but realistically you can tell if your having to apply too much force to break something. As for the rest of the parts like the other users said... they really only have one place to go and if your having to force it.... you probably have it in backwards lol.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, PNY GTX 780TI SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD updating to i7 shortly
Xbox live: tanis8585
#9WeaponX1138Posted 3/31/2014 2:16:31 AM
Don't cross the streams
---
There go my nipples again STEAM ID: Silentmark1138
#10chris121691Posted 3/31/2014 2:22:08 AM
Just take your time really. It's easy to build a pc. Don't force anything. If you have questions you can always come back here. You'll likely get a quick reply, as people are very helpful here. And take pics sir!