This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any suggestions for a new laptop?

#1crimsonassassinPosted 3/30/2014 11:11:11 PM
Currently, I have a ASUS UL80V laptop that is about 3 years old. It has some noticeable issues including running very hot and often freezing when running video files. So I figure it is time to replace it. I am looking for something that would beat it in gaming performance. For reference, its specs are as follows:

Intel CPU 1.30 GHz
4 GB RAM
1TB HDD (upgraded from 320GB)
GeForce 201M (512MB dedicated)
Windows 7 64 bit

Ideally, I want something that has 4GB+ RAM and a better graphics card (1-2GB dedicated). Windows 7 is preferred to Windows 8. I also am looking to stay around the $700 range. Brands are not too important though I have had success with ASUS and Toshiba and issues with Gateway in the past.

For reference, here are some games that I look to be able to play at least on low settings (playing on max at 5000 FPS is not important to me really). I have also listed what my current laptop can do with these games.

Alan Wake - Runs but is not playable
Skyrim - Played on low/medium until an update made the textures/shadows horrible for me
Batman Series - Batman:AA was playable. I have not installed the others.
Borderlands Series - Both games are playable.
Crysis - Game was playable on low settings
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Game is barely playable
Just Cause 2 - Unplayable
MK Complete - Unplayable
Sacred 2 Gold - Playable on lower settings
Tomb Raider - Would not even start
Witcher 2 - Never tested

Any ideas on what models or what particular graphics cards to look out for would be helpful. Thanks.

Note: I know that a desktop would be a cheaper and better solution for games. However, I need to be portable for work as well.
---
crimsonassassin Your friendly, neighborhood assassin/mod
insert witty quote here
#2Fade2black001Posted 3/31/2014 2:55:04 AM
This is the best I could find. After researching this seems to be the winner. Can it play all the games you listed? With the screens native res I would say you could play them on med-high and get playable FPS.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#3PharohofLaptopsPosted 3/31/2014 3:59:05 AM
lol gaming on a laptop
#4DoramiPosted 3/31/2014 6:49:16 AM
The card you have is really weak--weaker than even Intel integraded from this and the last gen.

At your price range, there is http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y410p/. But the $720 model is a very bad deal compared to the $800 one.
---
3DS FC: 1246-9917-4900 | Pokemon X: IGN: Jing | Safari: Ground: Phanpy, Camerupt, Diggersby
NNID: StareRoe | PSN: Raftina
#5DragnfyrPosted 3/31/2014 7:03:25 AM
The Y40, which is the successor to the Y410p, is coming out soon so wait for that. The Y40 will be much thinner and lighter than the Y410p and it will perform faster.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#6Fade2black001Posted 3/31/2014 7:06:28 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
This is the best I could find. After researching this seems to be the winner. Can it play all the games you listed? With the screens native res I would say you could play them on med-high and get playable FPS.

I forgot to post the link again....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231455
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#7ShubPosted 3/31/2014 7:26:10 AM
crimsonassassin posted...
Windows 7 is preferred to Windows 8.

Just so you know, that doesn't really happen anymore, unless you find an older model that's still in stock somewhere and happens to ship with Windows 7.
You do have the option of removing Windows 8 and installing 7 instead on any new laptop, with the catch that you may not be able to find Windows 7 drivers for your hardware.
Unless you have apps with known compatibility issues with Windows 8, however, my suggestion is just to get used to it. Windows 8 isn't bad, and if you truly hate the new GUI, not only does 8.1 improve on it in a number of ways, there are third-party software options to further put the new UI out of the way.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8DoramiPosted 3/31/2014 8:17:05 AM
Dell and HP still ship Win 7 on their business laptops to satisfy their corporate customers.

The Latitude E3540 comes with a AMD processor that's roughly equal to a GTX 750 and a matte FHD screen for about 750. Pity it has only an i5-4200U.
---
3DS FC: 1246-9917-4900 | Pokemon X: IGN: Jing | Safari: Ground: Phanpy, Camerupt, Diggersby
NNID: StareRoe | PSN: Raftina