This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is a SSD really worth it?

#1lord_ryePosted 3/30/2014 11:34:09 PM
about to build a new computer and im not sure if i should get one or not.
---
Last game played in 2007 was Halo3.
#2Sc24lifePosted 3/30/2014 11:36:53 PM
It's kind of like the jump to mechanical keyboards. After awhile you forget that it exists. But when having to use a different setup you instantly feel as though something is wrong.
---
"planetside 2 would only have 30 people running around on a small map fighting."
- GunWolfAlpha
#3DawnshadowPosted 3/30/2014 11:39:06 PM
Yes. I just got one. It's amazing.
---
Pokemon X - 2664-2616-4997 - Munna, Sigilyph, Duosion - PM me!
#4myztikricePosted 3/31/2014 12:13:49 AM
Not really since I rarely restart my computer. It does help loading Battlefield 4 maps though.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#5betatechPosted 3/31/2014 12:14:48 AM
I would if you can, when I upgraded I was surprised by the speed increase (this was on my old C2D rig).

Although I would make sure to go with one which gives a decent amount of space.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#6GTRagnarokPosted 3/31/2014 12:19:56 AM
Worth it? More like required. Even thinking of a computer running on a HDD makes me fell icky.
---
Wow. Very sig. Such original. So words. Wow.
#7Neo_PortaPottyPosted 3/31/2014 12:46:42 AM
With games honestly no it's incredibly nice but far from needed as a boot drive for your os oh god yes my pc is up and running usable in 13 seconds and that's with me putting in my password and having the launch slowed down so I can get into my bios. Makes sleeping your pc a thing of the past and just makes everything run quicker. My advice though would be get a 120g or so hdd install your os and you'll have enough room for 1-4 games or so of whatever your actively playing just keep everything else on a normal hdd really no need for a huge ssd when it will just shave a few secs offa loading your avg game.
---
If its elitist to want decent performance, accountability, and class knowledge from the people you play with... SIGN ME UP!
#8Fade2black001Posted 3/31/2014 1:11:02 AM
GTRagnarok posted...
Worth it? More like required. Even thinking of a computer running on a HDD makes me fell icky.

required? Says you. Maybe if you want to save like 1-3 seconds on games loading. SSD's are for the impatient.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#9triple sPosted 3/31/2014 1:42:48 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
GTRagnarok posted...

required? Says you. Maybe if you want to save like 1-3 seconds on games loading. SSD's are for the impatient.

You most certainly don't have an SSD or have used one saying crap like that. It's not as much the boot time which is the nice thing, it's being able to use it after boot. With an HDD, it can take anywhere from 1-2 minutes before I'm able to get the internet up and going. With an SSD, it's instant.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#10mikewu1Posted 3/31/2014 1:52:31 AM
triple s posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
GTRagnarok posted...

You most certainly don't have an SSD or have used one saying crap like that. It's not as much the boot time which is the nice thing, it's being able to use it after boot. With an HDD, it can take anywhere from 1-2 minutes before I'm able to get the internet up and going. With an SSD, it's instant.

with my 1TB 7200 RPM HDD i could boot up in 30 secs. A SSD is event faster but you have a bloat if it takes 1-2 mins