This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember all those awesome Square Enix PC releases we've been getting lately?

#1ZeroRaiderPosted 4/1/2014 8:56:38 PM
...yeah, don't look forward to getting any more of those.

Deus Ex, Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs.

It looks like Square Enix wants to 'return to their roots'. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Square Enix's history, this means developing weeaboo rehashes exclusively for console peasants:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/31/bravely-defaults-success-west-making-square-enix-rethink-jrpgs/

If we're lucky to ever see a Square Enix game on PC again don't expect it to have super-sampling, tessellation, hi-res textures and all the other goodies that were packed in Square's recent excellent PC releases.
#2lazycomplifePosted 4/1/2014 8:59:18 PM
FF15 will have all those things and be on PC.
---
Official Swinub
3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027 - Friend safari: ICE type: Delibird, Bergmite, Dewgong
#3DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/1/2014 8:59:50 PM
They're talking about their JRPG talent, not their purchased Eidos studios. No point trying to make western developers make JRPGs.
You'll probably see some budget cuts, though, and perhaps reevaluation of their recent mainstream western projects.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#4YukitoRamboPosted 4/1/2014 9:22:50 PM
I like how he had to bring up Hitman, and not mention FFXIII. When it comes to losing focus, FFXIII was last decade's SE game that suffered most from lack of 'focus'.

Also, JRPG fans around the world responding more favorably to JRPGs made for the Japanese?

youdontsay.jpg

I mean, WHY THE **** ELSE WOULD IT BE CALLED JRPG with the 'J'?!
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#5UnderwaterAirPosted 4/1/2014 10:10:12 PM
In my opinion, every game after FFX from Square has just been horrible.

FFX was their last good game. They need to go back to how their games were before that.

And don't say it's nostalgia goggles or anything either.

I went back and played Chrono Trigger start to finish and loved it all over again.
I played Sieken Densetsu 3 again and gods, it's freaking amazing.

Many games have the typical Japanese style storytelling where gaps are seemingly left in but the gameplay and story that you do get are amazing and wonderful still. FFIX's script is wonderful and brings me to tears at some moments.

But after FFX? >_>
Aside from Lightning from FFXIII being an amazing woman it's all pretty meh...
#6SythisTaruPosted 4/1/2014 10:16:29 PM
UnderwaterAir posted...

FFX was their last good game. They need to go back to how their games were before that.

I went back and played Chrono Trigger start to finish and loved it all over again.

Many games have the typical Japanese style storytelling where gaps are seemingly left in but the gameplay and story that you do get are amazing and wonderful still. FFIX's script is wonderful and brings me to tears at some moments.

But after FFX? >_>

12 is the only one I like.
#7DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/1/2014 10:48:22 PM
UnderwaterAir posted...

But after FFX? >_>

If FFX was the last game you liked, it was nostalgia, plain and simple. That was an awful game through and through.
Also, they made quite a few good games for DS. I didn't too much like their non-port PSP games, but other people seem to.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#8blax34dmPosted 4/1/2014 10:51:50 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
UnderwaterAir posted...

But after FFX? >_>

If FFX was the last game you liked, it was nostalgia, plain and simple. That was an awful game through and through.
Also, they made quite a few good games for DS. I didn't too much like their non-port PSP games, but other people seem to.

Seems like it's on quite a few best games ever lists to be purely nostalgia.
#9TimePharaohPosted 4/1/2014 11:01:52 PM
YukitoRambo posted...
I like how he had to bring up Hitman, and not mention FFXIII. When it comes to losing focus, FFXIII was last decade's SE game that suffered most from lack of 'focus'.

Maybe, but Absolution was by far more garbage than FFXIII with a cluster **** of garbage mechanics from a dozen other terrible franchises being shoved in. At least they were trying to (and failed terribly, but still) to do something different with FF vs. making a massive consolized mess.
#10AsellusPosted 4/1/2014 11:22:24 PM
I dunno, I'd say the only real area Absolution's mechanics fell flat was the disguise system being a bit oversimplified and further hurt by the distance a character could recognize you were there being more or less the same as the distance from which they could tell you were not a member of their faction, regardless of any other factors (Brightness, which way you were facing, what you were doing, whether they had an prior reason to be on alert, etc.)

Which is a pretty big knock, don't get me wrong, but the game still had some quite good assassination missions... it's just a shame it didn't have more of them, with way too many "Get from point a to point b" sneak-a-thons instead.