This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember all those awesome Square Enix PC releases we've been getting lately?

#21DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/2/2014 5:43:13 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
UnderwaterAir posted...
In my opinion, every game after FFX from Square has just been horrible.

FFX was their last good game. They need to go back to how their games were before that.

And don't say it's nostalgia goggles or anything either.

I went back and played Chrono Trigger start to finish and loved it all over again.
I played Sieken Densetsu 3 again and gods, it's freaking amazing.

Many games have the typical Japanese style storytelling where gaps are seemingly left in but the gameplay and story that you do get are amazing and wonderful still. FFIX's script is wonderful and brings me to tears at some moments.

But after FFX? >_>
Aside from Lightning from FFXIII being an amazing woman it's all pretty meh...

If FFX was the last game you liked, it was nostalgia, plain and simple. That was an awful game through and through.
Also, they made quite a few good games for DS. I didn't too much like their non-port PSP games, but other people seem to.

Or maybe because it was the worst game released by Square in the west, plain and simple.

fix'd.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#22Ch3wyPosted 4/2/2014 5:45:12 AM
I'm surprised so many people still like JRPGs. It's just an easy to program game design; gaming has evolved way past it.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#23MonkeymagePosted 4/2/2014 5:48:08 AM
#22 | Ch3wy | Posted 4/2/2014 7:45:12 AM | message detail | quote
I'm surprised so many people still like JRPGs. It's just an easy to program game design; gaming has evolved way past it.

People will always gravitate towards what is familiar to them.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#24Cobra1010Posted 4/2/2014 5:49:32 AM
Square Enix only publishes those games and Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider are great games. I enjoyed them a lot and they got pretty good reviews and metacritic score too. I read a lot of fans being dissapointed at hitman absolution but for someone like me who hasnt played previous ones. I enjoyed Hitman absolution a lot too.

But when it comes to actual games being made by square enix like FF13, SE needs to get their asses in gear. They just have too much money to play with. They were litterally telling us what to like and what not. They like to hype their games over the roof and then when you play it, you get dissapointed big time.

Anyone still remember that FFversus13 CGI trailer? That came out around the same time as they announced FF13. Iv pretty much waited 5-6 years for Versus13 and still no friken news now.
Last time i checked those CGI scenes arent cheap to make. They could have put their sources elsewhere.
---
GG Riot
http://i.imgur.com/Hs8Y1vQ.png
#25sfcalimariPosted 4/2/2014 5:49:39 AM
This is from Squenix trying to be a big-time megapublisher like EA or Ubisoft, and not succeeding. Kinda like Sega or THQ.

The problem is that Squenix have bought up a lot of long-running franchise licenses like Hitman and Deus Ex. If they aren't going to pay for small Western developers/studios to make those games, who will make them? Will they sell the franchises off to other companies? Liquidate the developers they bought out? Terminate certain beloved franchises just to justify undeserved bonuses given to overpaid Japanese execs?
---
http://i75.servimg.com/u/f75/17/26/59/67/ku-xla10.jpg
"Permit me to rule over the goats as well as the sheep." --Zygmunt Augustus
#26Logical_OnePosted 4/2/2014 5:51:44 AM
Ch3wy posted...

I agree. I love Japanese culture and people (visited Japan a few times for work) but JRPGs are done IMO. I was raised with them but they provide nothing that a solid SRPG or TBS game can't provide save for an absurd story and a tween metro-sexual main character that no one can relate to.
---
---
Steam: LogicalOne / PSN: TheCoolBreeze / XBL: ZenTheShogun
#27Le0nMagnisPosted 4/2/2014 6:17:22 AM
Stop saying nonsense. Have you not even a idea of how to sell something? You can't make something aiming to get everyone as your public. You need to focus in what the people that will buy the game want to play.

Imagine making a Gran Turismo where you can get outta your car and play soccer, then you can level your pilot as a Princess Maker game, learning to be polite and mount horses. Who would buy that? 100 people that think it's innovative?
#28snesmaster40Posted 4/2/2014 6:17:41 AM
Cobra1010 posted...
Square Enix only publishes those games and Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider are great games. I enjoyed them a lot and they got pretty good reviews and metacritic score too. I read a lot of fans being dissapointed at hitman absolution but for someone like me who hasnt played previous ones. I enjoyed Hitman absolution a lot too.

But when it comes to actual games being made by square enix like FF13, SE needs to get their asses in gear. They just have too much money to play with. They were litterally telling us what to like and what not. They like to hype their games over the roof and then when you play it, you get dissapointed big time.

Anyone still remember that FFversus13 CGI trailer? That came out around the same time as they announced FF13. Iv pretty much waited 5-6 years for Versus13 and still no friken news now.
Last time i checked those CGI scenes arent cheap to make. They could have put their sources elsewhere.

FFversus13 has been rebranded as FF15
---
Are we not men?
#29Bellum_SacrumPosted 4/2/2014 6:18:05 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
If FFX was the last game you liked, it was nostalgia, plain and simple. That was an awful game through and through.
Also, they made quite a few good games for DS. I didn't too much like their non-port PSP games, but other people seem to.

Or maybe because it was the worst game released by Square in the west, plain and simple.

fix'd.

Not sure you understand how the "fix'd" meme works. It was the last game released by Square in the west.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#30Le0nMagnisPosted 4/2/2014 6:18:31 AM
And it seems that Square Enix just discovered the Americas, a shame Columbus discovered it some centuries ago...