This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember all those awesome Square Enix PC releases we've been getting lately?

#81SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/3/2014 8:24:28 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Sinfullyvannila posted...
The personal attacks are way out of line.

Yeah, you went too far.

I didn't make any personal attacks.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#82JKatarnPosted 4/3/2014 8:34:59 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
No wonder you're so bland.

That's so classy....you were saying something about being shallow?
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#83RosencroitzPosted 4/3/2014 8:50:50 AM
reincarnator07 posted...
It was a step down from many earlier entries, but it was by no means "terrible in every way".

To be fair, there aren't many ways that it could be considered decent in. I suppose the very, very base gameplay? The character progression system was among the worst in the series, characters range from boring to awful, story is mediocre, exploration is nonexistent, atmosphere and music are okayish? I suppose those are highlights.
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.
#84SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/3/2014 10:11:58 AM(edited)
Rosencroitz posted...
reincarnator07 posted...
It was a step down from many earlier entries, but it was by no means "terrible in every way".

To be fair, there aren't many ways that it could be considered decent in. I suppose the very, very base gameplay? The character progression system was among the worst in the series, characters range from boring to awful, story is mediocre, exploration is nonexistent, atmosphere and music are okayish? I suppose those are highlights.

You're free to have your own opinion, but contrarily listing a bunch of wildly subjective preferences doesn't have anything to do with "fairness".

I liked the characters in comparison because the characters in other FF games are generally ridiculously over-the-top, and all of the playables in FFX have a necessary function in the story and gameplay.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#85ZeroRaider(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2014 1:34:15 PM
Chaos_Missile posted...
ZeroRaider posted...
...yeah, don't look forward to getting any more of those.

Deus Ex, Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs.

It looks like Square Enix wants to 'return to their roots'. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Square Enix's history, this means developing weeaboo rehashes exclusively for console peasants:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/31/bravely-defaults-success-west-making-square-enix-rethink-jrpgs/

If we're lucky to ever see a Square Enix game on PC again don't expect it to have super-sampling, tessellation, hi-res textures and all the other goodies that were packed in Square's recent excellent PC releases.

You know TC, I'm sure I speak for 90% of the gaming population here, but when we heard the words "Square", "Enix" or "Square-Enix", western games are the FURTHEST from our minds.

We would first think of games like Dragon Quest and especially FF.

And btw, if it werent for SE, you'd most likely be only stuck playing "Amerikan" games like Call of Dooty

I have yet to play a single 'non-Western' Square Enix game.
#86RosencroitzPosted 4/3/2014 8:49:47 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
Rosencroitz posted...
reincarnator07 posted...

You're free to have your own opinion, but contrarily listing a bunch of wildly subjective preferences doesn't have anything to do with "fairness".

I liked the characters in comparison because the characters in other FF games are generally ridiculously over-the-top, and all of the playables in FFX have a necessary function in the story and gameplay.

I thought I was being more than fair to FFX, actually.
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.
#87LePhenomPosted 4/4/2014 10:57:41 PM
To people that don't understand (like TC and many others), he never said anything about less western games; their western studios will continue making what they do, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, etc, it's just that their Japanese teams will make Japanese games instead of trying to please to the western audience (which they fail at doing, they're good when they make their own stuff).

It's already easy to tell that Matsuda will be better for the fans than Wada was. This is great news.
#88HenryKazukaPosted 4/4/2014 11:30:48 PM
Le0nMagnis posted...
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Le0nMagnis posted...
Stop saying nonsense. Have you not even a idea of how to sell something? You can't make something aiming to get everyone as your public. You need to focus in what the people that will buy the game want to play.

Imagine making a Gran Turismo where you can get outta your car and play soccer, then you can level your pilot as a Princess Maker game, learning to be polite and mount horses. Who would buy that? 100 people that think it's innovative?

You just described the Grand Theft Auto series. Pretty much explains why it's so niche and unpopular.

Except that GTA is not nearly the same genre as GT. In GT cars are part of the main gameplay, while in GTA they are only means for a goal. You don't even need to hop on one for most of the game.

And when I said princess maker, I said princess maker! Not a gangsta maker.

But cars are a large part of Grand Theft Auto or at least they used to be in the beginning, then they did what you mentioned: gangsta maker with tennis/golf and it sold millions.
---
Hard work may pay in the long run, but laziness always pays off right now!
#89HermeticJusticePosted 4/4/2014 11:41:13 PM
blax34dm posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
UnderwaterAir posted...
In my opinion, every game after FFX from Square has just been horrible.

FFX was their last good game. They need to go back to how their games were before that.

And don't say it's nostalgia goggles or anything either.

I went back and played Chrono Trigger start to finish and loved it all over again.
I played Sieken Densetsu 3 again and gods, it's freaking amazing.

Many games have the typical Japanese style storytelling where gaps are seemingly left in but the gameplay and story that you do get are amazing and wonderful still. FFIX's script is wonderful and brings me to tears at some moments.

But after FFX? >_>
Aside from Lightning from FFXIII being an amazing woman it's all pretty meh...

If FFX was the last game you liked, it was nostalgia, plain and simple. That was an awful game through and through.
Also, they made quite a few good games for DS. I didn't too much like their non-port PSP games, but other people seem to.

Seems like it's on quite a few best games ever lists to be purely nostalgia.

whenever a old game is good it's because of nostalgia /sarcasm
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
#90shadowkratos774Posted 4/4/2014 11:43:17 PM
ZeroRaider posted...
...yeah, don't look forward to getting any more of those.

Deus Ex, Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs.

It looks like Square Enix wants to 'return to their roots'. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Square Enix's history, this means developing weeaboo rehashes exclusively for console peasants:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/31/bravely-defaults-success-west-making-square-enix-rethink-jrpgs/

If we're lucky to ever see a Square Enix game on PC again don't expect it to have super-sampling, tessellation, hi-res textures and all the other goodies that were packed in Square's recent excellent PC releases.

For what it's worth I think he brings up Hitman as another example of trying to appeal to everyone and end up screwing everything and that they want to avoid that moving forward.

Regardless of what you guys are saying now, a lot of people hated that game when it came out.
---
...but in time, they will join you in the sun.
3DS FC: 4613-7001-8523, please PM me if you add me.