This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GFWL is the worst thing to happen to PC gaming

#11JonWood007Posted 4/2/2014 11:10:05 AM
Its crap, but the worst? Lol. I;d argue microtransactions in general are the "worst" thing to happen to PC gaming.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#12KillerTrufflePosted 4/2/2014 11:17:09 AM
GFWL is down there, but it's overall effect on gaming as a whole has not been all that big. It was basically a really stupid, poorly implemented idea on Microsoft's part, and it was basically a disaster from start to finish from my personal perspective. But while it sucked for the games that required it, it really didn't impact gaming as a whole.

I'd say things that have had a much bigger negative impact include introduction of MMOs, monthly subscriptions to games, microtransactions, etc. EA has also done a lot more damage to the industry than Microsoft has...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#13AsucaHayashiPosted 4/2/2014 11:36:12 AM
yes, it's up there as one of the worst things to happen in PC gaming, maybe not as a (barely)functional game service, but certainly the concept(started out as a paid service because if MS can rope console gamers into paying, then why not PC gamers also?) and motives behind it.

ie. "killing PC gaming is a good thing for us":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q6p8qz6wv8M#t=371

so basically f*** MS.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#14AsellusPosted 4/2/2014 11:39:47 AM
It didn't "ruin" any games that had it.

You may not be able to say the same in a few months when the system stops working and games dependent upon it do as well.
#15LoshadtPosted 4/2/2014 11:40:40 AM
Not the worst, but it's up there. The worst thing to happen to PC gaming is DRM.

Ch3wy posted...
No, Steam is.

Because of it people think $10 is a bad deal for a game and developers suffer as a result.

It depends on the game. And during sales developers set the price, not Steam, and not users. If it's hurting developers so much they should stop making the price so low. Aside from that, it's better than making no money at all from used game sales.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#16popping4itPosted 4/2/2014 2:43:49 PM
KtuluheroII posted...
. It is terrible for DS with nothing but summoning errors a

thats actually not because of gfwl. things like this are due to handshake between players, and the server. gfwl doesnt handle the connection it just provides the player identifier if it were gfwl problem you wouldnt even see XXX has joined your game because the name shows up it means gfwl worked.
---
whens mahvel?
#17PraetorXynPosted 4/2/2014 3:06:53 PM
Ch3wy posted...
No, Steam is.

Because of it people think $10 is a bad deal for a game and developers suffer as a result.

Firstly, devs have their money before the game ever goes on sale. You're referring to publishers.

Secondly, you can find several indie devs talking about how they were about to go bankrupt before their game went on sale on Steam and now they're rolling in it. The reason being is that it's better to sell 10 times as much at 1/5th the price.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#18KillerTrufflePosted 4/2/2014 3:17:17 PM(edited)
Asellus posted...
It didn't "ruin" any games that had it.

You may not be able to say the same in a few months when the system stops working and games dependent upon it do as well.

Wait, who said that... cuz it sure as hell did with its corrupt save systems and stuff. :P

EDIT: Also, try playing Bulletstorm now. From what I hear, that's now impossible since it can't connect to GFWL.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#19Cowboy082288Posted 4/2/2014 3:25:10 PM
Free to Play that turned into Pay to Win on many games is the worst thing to happen to PC gaming.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#20BogePosted 4/2/2014 3:42:37 PM
It's definitely a bad thing, but oddly, I'm leaning towards Online. It's ruining a lot of aspects of gaming that I enjoyed in the past.

Battlefield is no longer playable for me because I'm a coop guy. I will not play against other players, so I can't play Battlefield anymore. Diablo 3, as we all know, has seriously suffered due to online with the auction house, drop rates, connection issues, no modding.

Also, developers are requiring logins to online accounts, such as Steam, Origin, Battle.net, and Games for Windows Live. This is a huge problem. We have to sign up for an account for each developer these days. What a headache!! I have to remember each username and password any time I want to play a game. And not just steam, but I have to sign in to other accounts like War Thunder, or Uplay.

So, screw playing with other people. The drawbacks supersede the benefits in my eyes. Bring back good ol' LAN gaming. It will never happen, but I wish.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png