This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Macbook Pro's so popular? (Need laptop advice)

#11SinisterSlayPosted 4/2/2014 2:07:17 PM
I wish I knew.
Mac tends to seem like a poor investment. Less performance per dollar, minimal or no upgradeability, and fewer programs.

And yet people love them. But that argument can be used on ipods and iphones and other i-devices and it doesn't seem to matter.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#12PsyborgasmPosted 4/2/2014 2:12:34 PM
You do not get the bang for your buck with Macs if you are looking for raw power. What you do get is a very simple to use product that appeals to the masses. I cant stand Macs, but I do see why some favor them.
#13Orestes417Posted 4/2/2014 2:12:40 PM
Great battery life, great formfactor, solid build quality, and a killer screen.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#14ShubPosted 4/2/2014 2:15:26 PM
The main appeal to me is that it's a UNIX-like operating system. I know I could get that from a cheapo Windows laptop with Linux on it, or from any laptop with a Linux VM, but it's just not the same.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#15VIP86Posted 4/2/2014 2:19:53 PM
No one really needs to spend 1500 on a laptop if you are just using it for basic school needs. Get a 500 dollar laptop and use to rest to pay off your student debts.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
#16cynicwithin2000Posted 4/2/2014 2:22:47 PM
Shub posted...
Nordini posted...
So, what you guys are saying is if I bought a $1500 Windows laptop, it would be better than a $1500 Macbook Pro?

Perhaps, perhaps not. Depends on the laptop.
Macs don't necessarily go for raw horsepower (although the 15" Retina MBP is pretty powerful). Sure, it's easy to find a $1500 Windows laptop that will outperform a $1500 MacBook Pro, but will it be as light? Have as long a battery life? Have as nice a screen? Have as nice a trackpad? And don't forget Mac OS X is exclusive to Macs.

Pretty much this. You can get a mac that is super light and powerful enough for most anything you would do in college and usually that's why people go for them. Of course you can get a windows pc with the same stuff, but it probably won't have as good of trackpad since I've never found any as good as mac's. Or you have to give up on one of those things: size, power, battery power, weight. As someone who used to use a macbook pro as a laptop, I can tell you that one area that apple outright destroys the competition in is customer service. They have always been willing to help me out and fix my mac regardless of the cost whenever I had a problem. And I didn't even have a warranty. Most people don't realize that the warranty isn't even necessary with apple. You just have to ask and, most of the time, they are willing to fix it for free. I had a total of about $700 in repairs done for free. There is not a single other competitor that can come close to apple for that.

TL:DR - apple products are not any better or worse than their competitors. Their service, on the other hand, is miles and miles above everyone elses.
---
i7-4770k @4.4Ghz | AsRock z87 OC Formula | Corsair 16GB@1600 | H100i | AX1200i | 500GB 840evo ssd | 5TB 7200rpm | EVGA GTX 780 Classified SLI | ASUS 2560x1440 |
#17hitokiri13Posted 4/2/2014 2:23:05 PM
Yeah don't attempt to upgrade the software of the MACs. My brother still has his Core 2 Duo MBP and it sucks after new software upgrades. He complains how it being very unstable at times. Reliability is great but don't mess with the defaults. He ended up borrowing his friends HP laptop for stage lighting. He still have to use MBP for the DJ purpose.
---
Originally Posted by Manicdan
using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.
#18Nordini(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2014 2:25:06 PM
VIP86 posted...
No one really needs to spend 1500 on a laptop if you are just using it for basic school needs. Get a 500 dollar laptop and use to rest to pay off your student debts.

I know I do not need it. I'll be going into my senior year. I simply would prefer the nicer technology.

Fortunately, I've been growing a seasonal, entrepreneurial venture that has allowed me to pay off my undergrad and save up a good amount for law school.

I've allocated around $1600 to spend on a new laptop at some point in the next year. I've pretty much already decided I will spend that much even if it isn't necessary.
---
Gentlemen understand that embezzlement, insider trading, tax fraud, and similar activities are not crimes. Crimes are committed by poor people and involve guns.
#19popping4itPosted 4/2/2014 2:40:02 PM(edited)
an extra 1000 dollars on your college debt ends up being close to 1200 due to interest and slowness of paying off the principle.

if youre using the computer for school and pr0n get a 500 one that way you dont worry about it when you just beat it up lugging it between classes.

however that aspect of being a apple sheep so you can fit in is actually the only reason you would want to get a macbook. something like this has a pretty intangible effect maybe someone sits next to you to ask you about it or maybe it never happens or maybe someone thinks less of you or maybe it doesnt. sounds stupid because it is.
---
whens mahvel?
#20VIP86Posted 4/2/2014 2:33:49 PM
Well, then just get you a macbook then.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750