This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Macbook Pro's so popular? (Need laptop advice)

#101RE2LeonSPosted 4/2/2014 8:31:17 PM
I've personally noticed that the lifespan of PC notebooks aren't as long as MacBooks. I owned a Gateway notebook for 3 years and at least once a year I had to send it into Gateway to get repairs because the motherboard kept frying. They used cheap motherboards and after the 3rd one went kaput, I said forget it I'm getting a new notebook. All the Dells I saw were cheaply made, I thought they looked and felt like garbage. If they were anything like their desktops, no thank you. When it comes to HP, I hate them. They make cheap desktops, their printers are built to screw you out of expensive ink, and their customer service is as foreign as you can get so don't expect any help whatsoever. ACERs are known to have faulty hard drives. My mother had the mini notebook from ACER and the hard drive died within the year. Compaqs are clunky and slow. Which left me with SONY and Toshiba. I'm not a fan of SONY products or SONY in general so I tried a Toshiba. I'm going on 5 years with my 2009 Toshiba Satellite. It does what I need it to do, but I don't use it for gaming. I tried Left 4 Dead on it once, never again. When it comes to gaming I suggest building your own tower, when it comes to college I suggest Toshiba.
---
My views on DLC, if it takes longer for me to work to pay for it than actually play it, it's not worth it. Don't buy Capcom games! GamerTag - RE2LeonS
#102SetzeraPosted 4/2/2014 8:33:53 PM
VIP86 posted...
No one really needs to spend 1500 on a laptop if you are just using it for basic school needs. Get a 500 dollar laptop and use to rest to pay off your student debts.

This, $1500-2000 is gaming range laptop.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Ultra PSU | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#103CaliberChampPosted 4/2/2014 8:42:26 PM
Because student loans and grants offer a Mac Book Pro, giving you no choice in the laptop you want, that's only for some people. The rest of the people are shills and just want to be like everyone else. A true hipster does things differently and doesn't follow the common fads. Apple is also a joke. They have the cheapest built things but make people pay more just for a brand name. People that buy into brand names are known to be idiots. Buying products on recommendation from friends more so than doing your own research and buying it for what is good for you.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman Arkham city
Terrible games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, Gone Home, EVE Online.
#104luigi99099Posted 4/2/2014 9:30:47 PM
I got the dell xps 14 about a year ago. I think they changed it since I bought mine, but I'd recommend the one i have to anyone. Bought a refurb so it was only 600 bucks with the complete accidental insurance and after tax/shipping(which I think was free). I guess you really want to spend more on a laptop, but it covers my needs. It has Intel graphics which gets the job done. I have my desktop for gaming so I really only wanted it for portability. My last laptop from dell lasted about 6 years before I had to start baking the video card every few months. My brother had a macbook for about 2 years before he had to switch back to windows. Once a year he had to take it to the apple store. One free fix and one right after the warranty ran out. Small sample, but I've never really thought apple products were especially reliable even if they're perceived as having a good build quality(although other manufacturers match it frequently). I've even seen more issues with iphones than other companies. And I saw someone complained about dell desktops, but I haven't seen one fail on me yet. Knock on wood. I've since replaced it, but my dad still uses my old desktop from 2003 or 2004. Original everything except for hard disks which were replaced because I needed more storage. If you do decide to get a Mac, best of luck, but I, personally, don't recommend it.
#105imthestuntmanPosted 4/2/2014 10:00:57 PM
If you need it for the graphics reasons or are too lazy to keep up with anti virus than go for it. But frankly for normal day to day things a pc is better. I would say the cost of ownership will be about the same, but its worth noting that transitioning to a mac from a pc is much more irritating than the reverse. Ive used macs my entire life and i am much more familiar with them than pcs, but frankly you are better off with a pc unless you actually need a mac for some reason.

Most peoplejust get them because they are the cool thing to get. On questioning they wont really have a good answer why they gor it. Now some people really do need it. My girlfriend is a graphics major and had to dump about 3k into a macbook pro and programs. But unless you have the need for those types of programs and are willing to pay for them its a waste. Get a 1,000 dollar lenovo or asus or something and spend a few hundred more on office, antivirus, etc. because the sticker price of a computer isnt all you are paying for. And frankly most of the stuff outside of antivirus the average person uses on a laptop are more affordable and work better on pcs. And this is coming from someone who has more experience with macs than those idiots in your college town do- seeing as how ive been using them since i was 4 and im in my 20s now.
---
These minor spelling errors were brought to you by an ipad having no real feedback to enable me to know when i mistype and my own laziness.
#106imthestuntmanPosted 4/2/2014 10:03:24 PM
luigi99099 posted...
I got the dell xps 14 about a year ago. I think they changed it since I bought mine, but I'd recommend the one i have to anyone. Bought a refurb so it was only 600 bucks with the complete accidental insurance and after tax/shipping(which I think was free). I guess you really want to spend more on a laptop, but it covers my needs. It has Intel graphics which gets the job done. I have my desktop for gaming so I really only wanted it for portability. My last laptop from dell lasted about 6 years before I had to start baking the video card every few months. My brother had a macbook for about 2 years before he had to switch back to windows. Once a year he had to take it to the apple store. One free fix and one right after the warranty ran out. Small sample, but I've never really thought apple products were especially reliable even if they're perceived as having a good build quality(although other manufacturers match it frequently). I've even seen more issues with iphones than other companies. And I saw someone complained about dell desktops, but I haven't seen one fail on me yet. Knock on wood. I've since replaced it, but my dad still uses my old desktop from 2003 or 2004. Original everything except for hard disks which were replaced because I needed more storage. If you do decide to get a Mac, best of luck, but I, personally, don't recommend it.

Ive used mac desktops that are over a decade old without issue. If you. Take care of them and know what you are doing they are going to normally have a longer life than a pc will in my experience.
---
These minor spelling errors were brought to you by an ipad having no real feedback to enable me to know when i mistype and my own laziness.
#107imthestuntmanPosted 4/2/2014 10:09:23 PM
RE2LeonS posted...
I've personally noticed that the lifespan of PC notebooks aren't as long as MacBooks. I owned a Gateway notebook for 3 years and at least once a year I had to send it into Gateway to get repairs because the motherboard kept frying. They used cheap motherboards and after the 3rd one went kaput, I said forget it I'm getting a new notebook. All the Dells I saw were cheaply made, I thought they looked and felt like garbage. If they were anything like their desktops, no thank you. When it comes to HP, I hate them. They make cheap desktops, their printers are built to screw you out of expensive ink, and their customer service is as foreign as you can get so don't expect any help whatsoever. ACERs are known to have faulty hard drives. My mother had the mini notebook from ACER and the hard drive died within the year. Compaqs are clunky and slow. Which left me with SONY and Toshiba. I'm not a fan of SONY products or SONY in general so I tried a Toshiba. I'm going on 5 years with my 2009 Toshiba Satellite. It does what I need it to do, but I don't use it for gaming. I tried Left 4 Dead on it once, never again. When it comes to gaming I suggest building your own tower, when it comes to college I suggest Toshiba.

Toshiba was rated as one of the worst companies last year. Seriously, go with asus or lenovo. They are going to be the best bang for your buck.
---
#108Roris0APosted 4/2/2014 10:14:22 PM(edited)
Any $1500 gaming laptop is better than a macbook. You actually have stuff on it, ie real culture. Not a brand name.

I hate what Apple has done in computing, they've managed to bring such a level of shallowness to it that it's nauseating. Their ipad is nice though, but that still isn't core computing.
#109animanganimePosted 4/2/2014 10:20:08 PM
Can you give an example of a $1500 laptop that is better than the 15" retina MacBook pro
---
WC i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz, 2x GTX 670 DirectCU II, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3, Zalman 1000W PSU, Cosmos 1000 Case, HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 IPS
#110Genericgamer667Posted 4/2/2014 10:49:41 PM
Apple has a way of making people think they are unique for buying their products, they are "different" and "rebels". People feel like Apple is talking to them directly, even if they are not. The use of glossy, white coloring and few buttons also makes them feel more sleek than clunky looking pcs, though this part is less prominent than it was before.
---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767 NNID: Seadrake
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666