This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Macbook Pro's so popular? (Need laptop advice)

#111Roris0APosted 4/2/2014 11:12:49 PM(edited)
I haven't done much research for what's come out this year or what is coming out, but I remember back in 2013 the Acer Aspire S7-392 having a 3k display that went for around $1400 I think. While it's not as clear as retina, it's close.

There's also the razor ultra thin (.70 inch) gaming laptop with that's coming out this year with the newest nvidia mobile gpu, that's more lightweight than any macbook, with a 3k resolution, but for a base price of $2k.

So windows laptops are quickly catching up to retina and because of competition will surpass it pretty soon.

When getting to the quality of laptops in general, the whole macbook is built to last thing is nothing but hype. Do you think Apple is any different and uses something other than 3rd world labor and the cheapest parts possible to build their hardware?

They just have a consistent aesthetic for all of their hardware and when they keep their operating system exclusive to it it just gives their products a fake allure. If OSX was sold like windows as an individual piece of software that you could install on any pc, then people would see it for what it is.

I've been using a 2009 $400 toshiba laptop and even dropped it a few times and never have had any crashes or problems with it.

EDIT: In the end, that's what I really recommend, just get a cheap but efficient laptop with good battery life and use the rest of your money to pay off your debts.
#112dayne195Posted 4/2/2014 11:01:39 PM
I have the Asus Zenobook ux31a. $500 used, and it comes close to the air
---
i5-4670k @ 4.3ghz | Hyper 212 EVO | GA-Z87X-UD3H | Gigabyte GTX 770 | 8gb Corsair Vengeance | HAF XM | 250gb Samsung 840 Series SSD | Rosewill Capstone 750M
#113Nordini(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2014 12:13:48 AM
dayne195 posted...
I have the Asus Zenobook ux31a. $500 used, and it comes close to the air

-Used not new
-Close but not as good
A new Air is $950
---
Gentlemen understand that embezzlement, insider trading, tax fraud, and similar activities are not crimes. Crimes are committed by poor people and involve guns.
#114ConkerPosted 4/3/2014 12:47:21 AM
Wish these topics didn't always have people calling each other haters for legitimate questions to better make a call if it's a good purchase for that particular person.

With that said, the aspects that make a MacBook good are entirely possible with a Windows laptop, they're just not cost-effective for most manufacturers to invest in to compete with Apple.

This isn't inherent with anything Windows outside of licensing costs, as it's entirely possible for a company to design a laptop with the same general quality and features of a MacBook. Apple just has a far more efficient supply chain they've built by being the manufacturer, limiting the hardware options, and developing and optimizing their own OS for that hardware, thus eliminating costs and creating savings with their economies of scale.

Just sucks that most others can't compete on the same level because of that, thus hurting the quality of the products or raising the price for the consumer. Which isn't a bad thing for Apple, just means the alternative options will be higher priced unless the manufacturer wants a smaller profit margin.

Personally, I'd get a Mac if I had any reason to require those aspects (which have mostly been covered already...budget, battery life, display, trackpad quality, etc), as I already have a Razor Edge Pro for my traveling computer needs. I can live with the lower battery life and resolution for the options the Edge Pro provides versus other Windows or Mac alternatives, but I definitely envy that it also can't match them in some respects.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#115schadowPosted 4/3/2014 1:43:15 AM
VIP86 posted...
No one really needs to spend 1500 on a laptop if you are just using it for basic school needs. Get a 500 dollar laptop and use to rest to pay off your student debts.

Or live in a country with social welfare, and spend 1500 on a laptop.
---
MageofBlood391 posted...
GameFAQs: Because if all else fails, you can always argue semantics.
#116TiamatKillerPosted 4/3/2014 5:18:54 AM
Roris0A posted...
I haven't done much research for what's come out this year or what is coming out, but I remember back in 2013 the Acer Aspire S7-392 having a 3k display that went for around $1400 I think. While it's not as clear as retina, it's close.

There's also the razor ultra thin (.70 inch) gaming laptop with that's coming out this year with the newest nvidia mobile gpu, that's more lightweight than any macbook, with a 3k resolution, but for a base price of $2k.

So windows laptops are quickly catching up to retina and because of competition will surpass it pretty soon.

When getting to the quality of laptops in general, the whole macbook is built to last thing is nothing but hype. Do you think Apple is any different and uses something other than 3rd world labor and the cheapest parts possible to build their hardware?

They just have a consistent aesthetic for all of their hardware and when they keep their operating system exclusive to it it just gives their products a fake allure. If OSX was sold like windows as an individual piece of software that you could install on any pc, then people would see it for what it is.

I've been using a 2009 $400 toshiba laptop and even dropped it a few times and never have had any crashes or problems with it.

EDIT: In the end, that's what I really recommend, just get a cheap but efficient laptop with good battery life and use the rest of your money to pay off your debts.

1) Linus uses an Acer Aspire 392, so it's definitely a quality laptop; however, when he reviewed it, there was definite flex in his flex test, whereas there is no fex in macbooks: macs are sturdier.

2) The mac screen itself, not the resolution, is a high quality screen with great viewing angles.

People just don't seem to accept that macs are often very portable, very sturdy, very nice looking machines with solid (not the best) specs. There is a price to pay, just like with all the other companies. At this point, it's become 'hipster' to hate on Apple and assume people just blindly buy Apple.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @930MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
#117SampsonMPosted 4/3/2014 5:37:33 AM
I've heard the Toshiba Kirabook is close to Mac-like quality, but I've never seen one in person so I can't say for sure.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#118Majoras_pantsPosted 4/3/2014 5:46:32 AM
I recently picked up a macbook air and wont go back to windows laptops.

I like Windows better than OSX for desktops, but damn this laptop is sexy.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#119DragnfyrPosted 4/3/2014 6:42:42 AM
The main problem with anyone who says Macbooks are overpriced is they only look at the hardware specs. Sure an equivalently priced Windows laptop will have a better CPU, RAM, and GPU but a laptop is much, much more than that. Most people forget that the screen, weight, trackpad, keyboard, and battery life are just as important. Once you factor in those aspects then an equivalent Windows laptop is pretty much the same price. If the only thing a person cares about is performance then they may as well just get a desktop.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#120animanganimePosted 4/3/2014 8:09:04 AM(edited)
Roris0A posted...
a

Roris0A posted...

While I agree that the Aspire S7 is a nice laptop, I did buy one for my wife as a gift when there was a sale at the Microsoft store, it is 1920 x 1080 and the viewing angle is definitely not as wide as the IPS panel used in the retina MBP line. Also we ended up returning it because of the horrible trackpad, the annoying missing F row keys which does not solve anything, oh and the horrible battery life. This is first hand experience btw, it's nice on paper and spec sheet which is why we bought it, the user experience however is a different story. We ended up getting her a 13" rMBP and we cant not be happier, this is coming from a PC user my whole life btw.

The razor laptop you mentioned are not yet released, and with a base price of $2000, way to strengthen your argument. The first rMBP came out in 2012.

Almost everything else you said was your subjective point of view on Apple and their computers and I am not going to touch that, I am just discussing what you get for the $, factual information.
---
WC i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz, 2x GTX 670 DirectCU II, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3, Zalman 1000W PSU, Cosmos 1000 Case, HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 IPS