This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Macbook Pro's so popular? (Need laptop advice)

#71runromPosted 4/2/2014 5:27:52 PM
My Macbook Pro 2009 is still kicking and going strong. If you honestly see yourself not buying any other computer equipment and want something that's pretty durable, I recommend going with a Macbook Pro.
---
MBP 2009 | i5 3570k @ 4.4ghz | AMD 7870 | PS Vita | Nintendo 3DS | HP Touchpad
Now part of the 500 posts club.
#72DragnfyrPosted 4/2/2014 5:28:11 PM
Nordini posted...
Lol okay, believe me or not.

Actually on topic though, you're saying the $999 model of the Macbook Air is the best purchase but it only has 128GB of flash storage....isn't that tiny? Even the $1299 model has only 256GB.

I mean my current laptop has 300GB HDD.

SSDs are generally smaller than HDDs because they're more expensive. Personally I think 128GB is enough for most people's non-data files. Data files can be stored on a external HDD.

uglysucka posted...
Dont buy a Windows 8 laptop. You'll just end up hating your life. As much as I dont like MACs, I would say get a Macbook Pro just because in general its more reliable hardware and software over a Windows machine. If you could buy a Windows 7 laptop then I would do that. Windows 8 is complete s**t and I think all your classmates know it lol.

Windows 8 is fine. Pretty much the only difference between Windows 8 and Windows 7 is the start menu. Also Windows 8 is faster.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#73SpacewhizguyPosted 4/2/2014 5:29:11 PM
Nordini posted...
Actually on topic though, you're saying the $999 model of the Macbook Air is the best purchase but it only has 128GB of flash storage....isn't that tiny? Even the $1299 model has only 256GB.

You mean to tell me that you get less storage space with an SSD compared to an HDD? What a surprise.
---
What's a sig?
#74DragnfyrPosted 4/2/2014 5:31:35 PM(edited)
animanganime posted...
You are comparing SSD to HDD, they have models with regular magnetic drives if you want to go with that

Actually the only model left with a regular HDD is the old non-Retina 13" MBP. That thing is pretty much inferior in every way to the MB Air and MBP Retina. It also hasn't been updated since June 2012. Apple will probably phase it out this year.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#75TiamatKillerPosted 4/2/2014 5:32:17 PM
Nordini posted...

It is smaller than many Windows alternatives (and quite pricey to get more). I highly suggest getting 8GB of RAM and at least 256GB of storage for any Macbook choice.

After looking at the Asus Zenbooks, Sony VAIOs, and Samsung ultrabooks, I finally decided to get either an Air or a Pro. I decided on the Pro simply for the screen and HDMI, and there is a definite difference in screen quality between the two. Only thing is whether or not one finds that difference worth the extra $$$.

13 inch Macbook Air with a student discount is pretty much the de facto laptop for a college student though. Extremely light, durable, insane battery life, great trackpad/keyboard.

I haven't run in to any storage issues with 256GB, btw. I have an entire semester of MATLAB saved, a running count of around 4 movies, Civ 5 all on it and I still have around 180GB.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @930MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
#76Nordini(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2014 5:37:10 PM
TiamatKiller posted...
Nordini posted...

It is smaller than many Windows alternatives (and quite pricey to get more). I highly suggest getting 8GB of RAM and at least 256GB of storage for any Macbook choice.

After looking at the Asus Zenbooks, Sony VAIOs, and Samsung ultrabooks, I finally decided to get either an Air or a Pro. I decided on the Pro simply for the screen and HDMI, and there is a definite difference in screen quality between the two. Only thing is whether or not one finds that difference worth the extra $$$.

13 inch Macbook Air with a student discount is pretty much the de facto laptop for a college student though. Extremely light, durable, insane battery life, great trackpad/keyboard.

I haven't run in to any storage issues with 256GB, btw. I have an entire semester of MATLAB saved, a running count of around 4 movies, Civ 5 all on it and I still have around 180GB.

If the screen is your issue though, it is likely that they are coming out with a 12-inch Macbook Air with Retina Display this year. At least that's what I've heard.

I think I'll wait to see if that actually does happen. If not, I'll probably get a Pro. This topic has convinced me.

Can't decide if I'd want a 13-inch or a 15-inch though. Right now I'm used to a 17-inch, but I hate how bulky it is.
---
Gentlemen understand that embezzlement, insider trading, tax fraud, and similar activities are not crimes. Crimes are committed by poor people and involve guns.
#77OMGWYATTPosted 4/2/2014 5:42:25 PM
People are morons. They're very average computers.
---
3DS FC: 1263-6701-6748
Have List: http://tinyurl.com/kqr69kx
#78ShubPosted 4/2/2014 5:43:58 PM
Nordini posted...
Can't decide if I'd want a 13-inch or a 15-inch though. Right now I'm used to a 17-inch, but I hate how bulky it is.

The 15" RMBP is... well, it's a 15" laptop so it's not small, but it's not bulky either. I have the 13", I wanted the 15" variant with the GT 750M but that was just outside of my budget. Still, I got the souped up 13" (2.6 GHz, 8 GB of RAM, 512 GB SSD) and it handles everything I throw at it like a champ. For the record I'm an IT professional working in DevOps so I'm always running a bunch of VMs.
If you would benefit from having a quad core CPU though, the 15" is your only option. If you don't need the GT 750M, you could get the cheaper 15" model.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#79cancerstormPosted 4/2/2014 5:52:27 PM
runrom posted...
My Macbook Pro 2009 is still kicking and going strong. If you honestly see yourself not buying any other computer equipment and want something that's pretty durable, I recommend going with a Macbook Pro.

i've a hp beater that cost $600 from 2008 and it still runs smoothly
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#80GTRagnarokPosted 4/2/2014 5:53:31 PM
I bought a MBP for the hardware. There's really nothing better for the same price on the PC side. But, I'm using it exclusively with Windows 8.1.
---
Wow. Very sig. Such original. So words. Wow.