This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Macbook Pro's so popular? (Need laptop advice)

#91DragnfyrPosted 4/2/2014 6:59:35 PM
pipebomb__sushi posted...
Macs are built to last, have great battery life, and extremely reliable. Plus you can always install Windows through bootcamp if you want to. It doesn't have a disc drive so you'll have to buy an external one.

A lot of laptops are dropping disc drives now. They're basically just deadweight most of the time. In the past couple years I've never had a situation come up where I actually needed a disc drive.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#92NidtendofreakPosted 4/2/2014 7:01:29 PM
Considering my Macbook has lasted over nine years so far, that's probably part of the reason why. I do need to buy a new one soon though, even brand new batteries are only lasting 2-3 hours off of a full charge. Considering I was stupid as a kid and decided that "laptop getting warm" meant "put a pillow underneath so I don't burn my legs", I'd say they're extremely durable.
---
And so begins a tale of vengeance and betrayal. Destiny by sinner sought. Tragedy by power wrought. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.
#93PraetorXynPosted 4/2/2014 7:07:28 PM
Macs are nice to look at and feel nice to touch, yes. Is their build quality overrated? Definitely. Every laptop I've had has been dropped many, many times without anything breaking or messing up. Would it be nice if they were built better? Sure. That's what workstations are for, which cost the same as Macs if not more.

You're basically weighing:
Power
Potentially larger screen (no more 17" MBP, probably won't be a 15" in a few more years)
Much larger game library
Availability of pretty much all software without having to use Bootcamp or Parrallels or VMWare Fusion etc.

Build quality
Battery life
Extremely light
Higher quality display (Windows wouldn't work on those displays in the first place because its DPI scaling is horrid)

Most of the things OS X is praised for have nothing to do with OS X. They're in OS X because OS X is built on top of BSD Unix.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#94Cobra1010Posted 4/2/2014 7:27:35 PM
I'll spill the beans. People really are buying mac books are really buying the Apple Logo at the back.

In their eyes, if you own a non mac, windows, linux what ever, you are just a peasant. They believe they are higher classed if they own macs.

Then there are those who know nothing about computer specs thinks that higher price = better.

My mum knows **** all about computers and she hails apple computers.

But yes, if you are in university full of rich kids, especially if you hang around places with a lot of rich oversea students, arabs, chinese etc and you want to fit in, then i suggest you get a macbook. Because the design, lightweight, screen and mac OS is pretty much their selling point.

If you want raw specs and performance for, e.g. doing graphics, modelling, rendering, gaming etc. I dont recommend macbooks. But you probably wouldnt want to do those on laptops anyway.

So be a good boy. Use your laptop for typing up homework. Be a cool kid. Have a laptop with apple logo in the back just like how people used to walk around with beats by dre around their necks back then i was at uni.
---
GG Riot
http://i.imgur.com/Hs8Y1vQ.png
#95avanentPosted 4/2/2014 7:30:27 PM
I don't have the desire to deal with computers malfunctioning or dying. I've never had a PC last me more than two years without needing to re-install the OS.

I've had 3 macbooks so far, upgrading maybe getting a new one every four years? The battery on the old ones is shot, but as long as I don't try to run anything above its specs, they all still work perfectly.

This is why I'll continue to buy mac.
#96Kamodo2299Posted 4/2/2014 7:34:31 PM
Macbook pros are good, youd just need a fan if you do any extensive gaming
---
(insert Beatles reference here)
#97ZeusthagodPosted 4/2/2014 8:14:49 PM(edited)
avanent posted...
I don't have the desire to deal with computers malfunctioning or dying. I've never had a PC last me more than two years without needing to re-install the OS.

I've had 3 macbooks so far, upgrading maybe getting a new one every four years? The battery on the old ones is shot, but as long as I don't try to run anything above its specs, they all still work perfectly.

This is why I'll continue to buy mac.

Totally agree. Expiration date on most of those $300-500 Windows seems to be around 2 years. Hell even the $1200 HP HDX that I purchased in 2009 only made it to 2011 before it became a piece of crap that HP wouldn't even acknowledge anymore.

Finally gave Macs a try that year and will never purchase a Windows laptop again. Unfortunately I did have to Bootcamp and put Windows 7 on here as well for AutoCAD but that's it. Then as far as customer support goes, Apple actually has stores and will still at least diagnose your laptop if it gives you problems after the warranty period unlike HP and the other Windows laptop manufacturers who forget you exist after that 1 year warranty runs out.

Resale value is much higher on MacBooks as well. 3-4 year old MacBooks still sell for decent amounts of money while most Windows laptops that old can't be resold for nearly as much. If anything.

Other than gaming, I don't see any reason for people to choose a Windows laptop over a Macbook. Unless you're price sensitive or only need a machine to occasionally browse the net. In that case a $300-500 Windows machine might work since Apple doesn't compete on the low end.
---
A wise man told me "don't argue with fools"
#98DemonSoulLokiPosted 4/2/2014 8:19:36 PM
I once had a Macbook Pro back in 2012. It was nice and very school-friendly until this year, I saw the light:

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade

Now I am awaiting for it's arrival at my doorstep :)
---
Effort gives confident in oneself as Pride does not equal ability. ~DemonSoulLoki
#99bangothebuckPosted 4/2/2014 8:20:06 PM
I picked up my mac last october with the apple financing plan, 18 months with no interest. So roughly 120 a month to pay it off safely. I think the appeal with macs is that they look nice, and perform well. Plus apples customer service is second to none. There are laptops that do things individually better than a mac, but i think a mac is an easy to use machine that is competitive with most other similarly priced laptops, is it the best at any one thing? probably not, but its very good at almost everything. As far as i can tell anyway.
---
Gamertag and PSN- Bango The Buck
#100vincient_FFVIIPosted 4/2/2014 8:24:34 PM
I guarantee only about 20-30% of the laptops are actually apple laptops. i keep mine i my backpack and ive never understood why I see them around so much in random places either, but if you really look in libraries and such its mostly all pc's.

I guarantee that mid-range MacBook pro specs or higher plus windows will be your favorite laptop ever tho and if you can get the window copy free from a prof. its even better.
in my experiences macbooks tend to age a little better than pc laptops, but most of my pc owning experience is with desktops
---
if its not my character... i dont care :)