This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The game Star Citizen... one shot deal or the future?

#1Cowboy082288Posted 4/2/2014 2:08:14 PM
Star Citizen is a crowd funded game set to come out in 2015.

What is of significance about it is that they have already raised over 41 million dollars. This is way above any other crowd funded game to date. The game now is being looked at as a AAA title. All previous crowd funded games had been small budget 'indie' games.

The thing is this game sort of is an indie game, in that there is no publisher involved.

So is this something we will see more of or is it just a one time freak occurrence?
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#2BuyersRemorse55Posted 4/2/2014 2:09:50 PM
One time freak occurrence. This game is going crash and burn and be a total debacle when it comes out.
#3SupesOneMillionPosted 4/2/2014 2:12:14 PM
I agree with above, the fact is there's no way in HELL they're going to resources ( finances, personnel ) to actual adapt this game in a way we've come to expect. HONESTLY, I'd rather have Mass Effect 4 any day of the week. But who knows, maybe it'll be epic.
#4SlaynPosted 4/2/2014 2:14:54 PM
BuyersRemorse55 posted...
One time freak occurrence. This game is going crash and burn and be a total debacle when it comes out.

So what you are saying is

that the people who donated on kickstarter

are going to have

buyer's remorse

8)
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#5Greendragon854Posted 4/2/2014 2:15:22 PM
They are getting so much money because they are open with backers along the whole development process, try to involve them as much as possible, and it's a genre of game that a looooot of people want to come back. If any of the naysayers read any articles at all, they'd understand the crazy amount of talent involved currently, and the caliber of the content being worked on. Plus, it's FINALLY a game that won't be held back in any way by consoles.
---
"Are you going to buy this time? Or are you still just curious?"
"Well, I supposed you could say I'm Buy-Curious" ~PSN - greeniebeanie
#6Greendragon854Posted 4/2/2014 2:17:34 PM
However, I doubt this kind of funding is the future of gaming. It's rare to find a game people care about enough to back the entire project. I don't think Star Citizen will fail, and I'm excited about it. But if it DOES, it's going to set crowd funded games (and possibly other things) back a decade or so
---
#7SinisterSlayPosted 4/2/2014 2:17:34 PM
Greendragon854 posted...
They are getting so much money because they are open with backers along the whole development process, try to involve them as much as possible, and it's a genre of game that a looooot of people want to come back. If any of the naysayers read any articles at all, they'd understand the crazy amount of talent involved currently, and the caliber of the content being worked on. Plus, it's FINALLY a game that won't be held back in any way by consoles.

Yes but x-rebirth was supposed to not be held back by consoles either. So who really knows?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8BuyersRemorse55Posted 4/2/2014 2:18:35 PM
Slayn posted...
BuyersRemorse55 posted...

So what you are saying is

that the people who donated on kickstarter

are going to have

buyer's remorse

8)

HAHA! Exactly.

I think peoples expectations are going to be way to high just cause of the guy.

Then throw in the huge budget and its going to be higher expectations.

The fact that Wing Commander IMO are some of the best games ever made and I think many other people feel that way too.

Its just going to be very hard to live up to.

I would like to be wrong, but I think its not going to work out.
#9Greendragon854Posted 4/2/2014 2:19:51 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Greendragon854 posted...

Yes but x-rebirth was supposed to not be held back by consoles either. So who really knows?

SAME TIME POST! *high five*

The difference is SC is a fairly open book right now. And it's going to be playable in various stages all the way up to release. The dog fighting alpha is going to be showcased/released soon (they've built the backend required for the battle system, and that took months of solid work)

I guess we will see. I've got my joystick ready, I hope it's awesome.
---
#10popping4itPosted 4/2/2014 2:21:28 PM
i dunno why but i want this game to fail. but i tend to 'reverse-curse' and the opposite tends to happen so it will probably end up being one of the best selling games and become the next minecraft.
---
whens mahvel?