This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The game Star Citizen... one shot deal or the future?

#21Greendragon854Posted 4/2/2014 1:37:38 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Greendragon854 posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
Greendragon854 posted...
They are getting so much money because they are open with backers along the whole development process, try to involve them as much as possible, and it's a genre of game that a looooot of people want to come back. If any of the naysayers read any articles at all, they'd understand the crazy amount of talent involved currently, and the caliber of the content being worked on. Plus, it's FINALLY a game that won't be held back in any way by consoles.

"Not being held back by consoles" means you're going to have to have one hell of a gaming PC to even run the thing. Ever seen the Steam system hardware survey? Good luck.

To run it? No. I have an HD6870 and an x4 970. I can run it at 25fps on medium quality. That's straight up no optimization, of course. I don't know how much better my computer will be able to eventually run it, but the game is being designed for hardware that will be more commonplace by the time it actually releases. You'll be able to play it on low, and the models are already better than anything else out there. Low textures need a lot of work though.

Someone with a laptop (even a "gaming" laptop) won't be able to run it. This is a game that caters to power users. Hobbyists. I'm fairly sure it's going to be the next Crysis as far as benchmarking. I'm hoping it spurs some sort of PC gaming resurgence, as it's been pretty watered down lately.

Hopefully it's not the next Crysis with regards to game play.

Ha, true that.

I still have high hopes. The people who scream "feature creep" from all the added content don't seem to realize the added content isn't going to be present in the launch. Some things like the procedural generation and atmospheric flight, the money is going towards researching if it's even possible to do it at the caliber they want to do it. If not, they will scrap the idea. How often does a company get a million dollars to just research if they can make gaming better? I still feel a lot of good can come from this (and they aren't relying on DirectX, so it could further remove gaming from being a Windows thing. Pretty sure I've read they are going to support Linux)
---
"Are you going to buy this time? Or are you still just curious?"
"Well, I supposed you could say I'm Buy-Curious" ~PSN - greeniebeanie
#22Cowboy082288(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2014 1:39:34 PM
Kinda off topic KabtheMentat but shogun 2 was freaking awesome..... opinions :)
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#23KabtheMentatPosted 4/2/2014 1:40:05 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
Greendragon854 posted...
They are getting so much money because they are open with backers along the whole development process, try to involve them as much as possible, and it's a genre of game that a looooot of people want to come back. If any of the naysayers read any articles at all, they'd understand the crazy amount of talent involved currently, and the caliber of the content being worked on. Plus, it's FINALLY a game that won't be held back in any way by consoles.

"Not being held back by consoles" means you're going to have to have one hell of a gaming PC to even run the thing. Ever seen the Steam system hardware survey? Good luck.

When something is held back by consoles. Its usually CPU and RAM. Something even the cheapest PC's have plenty of.

And almost never used correctly. See Total War Rome 2...and hell, most of the Total War games. Completely a PC based series, yet they single thread a ******* strategy game?

But yeah, it's totally consoles holding gaming back.

Probably old outdated engines.
Also, DirectX9 is mostly single threaded still. All the draw calls are still done in essentially a single thread.

Point being that shouldn't have happened if consoles are responsible for "holding gaming back." It's not like they were considering a 360 version and decided against it at the last minute.

I dunno, the whole consoles holding gaming back argument just bugs me. It's a super lazy argument.
---
Yeeaah...Somebody must've killed Darryl. Cuz that's what the guy had said.
#24Greendragon854Posted 4/2/2014 1:40:18 PM
Also, they are using PBR (physically based rendering) which will be amazing. Here's an example of the tech (not from Star Citizen, but this is the quality they are shooting for): http://alteredqualia.com/xg/examples/deferred_skin.html
---
#25KabtheMentatPosted 4/2/2014 1:40:44 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the series. But they are at times technical messes. There's no denying that.
---
Yeeaah...Somebody must've killed Darryl. Cuz that's what the guy had said.
#26SinisterSlayPosted 4/2/2014 1:43:41 PM
KabtheMentat posted...

Point being that shouldn't have happened if consoles are responsible for "holding gaming back." It's not like they were considering a 360 version and decided against it at the last minute.

I dunno, the whole consoles holding gaming back argument just bugs me. It's a super lazy argument.

Where you start to see the hold back is like.
Skyrim, only 6 NPC's on screen at a time and tediously crafted to insure there is never more.

If they had unlimited memory, the designers could have focused on making the skyrim world feel alive with people.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#27Cowboy082288(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2014 1:43:48 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the series. But they are at times technical messes. There's no denying that.

You want a technical mess? Play supreme commander on the Xbox 360. The game crashes at least once every 30 minutes. Anyways that sort of stuff really just has to do with quality control of the team making the game.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#28Greendragon854Posted 4/2/2014 1:45:20 PM
Look at Dark Souls II. The gameplay is intact, but lighting effects that even a low end gaming pc could handle easily was taken out of the PS3 and 360 versions (and probably now the PC version) Consoles are simply underpowered. You can't say they aren't holding back gaming with an example of a badly optimized PC game. It's a matter of power. You can still make a FUN 8 bit game. N64 and PS1 games are still fun, and you can still come up with a game no one else has. But the longer you make games for the same set of hardware, the quicker you stagnate. You've got to move forward, and consoles don't let you do that.
---
#29kelemvorPosted 4/2/2014 1:57:51 PM(edited)
Every time a thread about SC comes out, dozens of people immediately chime in wanting it to fail. I'm surprised so many gamers here are brainwashed into believing only huge publishers like EA and Ubisoft have games worth buying.

Chris Roberts is basically a throwback to the 90s when games were made by gamers and not accountants and marketing departments. His reputation and legacy is resting on this game. He's not going to let us down.

I'm hoping that the game is so successful he'll have enough resources to eventually tackle a sequel or reimagining of Strike Commander. The original game was a little over ambitious, and it would be nice to see what he could do with more resources. If you haven't played it, Strike Commander was set in a alternate timeline where fighter pilot mercenaries fight in a huge Middle Eastern conflict. You mange your base, buy jets and weapons, balance a budget, and dogfight with branching story missions depending on what choices you did in the missions. Kind of like WIng Commander, but not in space.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#30dementedlullabyPosted 4/2/2014 1:54:39 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...

You want a technical mess? Play supreme commander on the Xbox 360. The game crashes at least once every 30 minutes. Anyways that sort of stuff really just has to do with quality control of the team making the game.

Shogun 2 was a mess when first released as well. It took many a patch to get a good game out of it. It's quite good now though.
---
The Imperial Truth is a Lie