This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The game Star Citizen... one shot deal or the future?

#61Mogu_MoguPosted 4/2/2014 10:26:54 PM(edited)
I thought we already went over this...

In the 90s, there were a bunch of teenagers and kids that got to play Wing Commander, Strike Commander, and Privateer. They fell in love with those games.

They waited and waited for the next iteration of those games and never really got it. They were thrown a bone every now and then with Freelancer and X but to be honest, these simply weren't the game they were waiting for.

Finally, Chris Roberts comes back and he says the technology has progressed to the point where he thinks he can make the next iteration to Wing Commander/Privateer now and he just wants a bit of money.

ALL of those kids and teenagers from the 90s that kept waiting for their dream game? Yeah, they're all 20-40 years old now with jobs. They hear that their dream game is being made, they come in with their money and the game is instantly funded.

There's also another side of this story. Many of these players waited for years to play good games on the PC. All they got were crappy FPS rehashes and abominable money grubby titles that couldn't deliver the gameplay experience that Wing Commander and Privateer gave. Console games just got worse and worse as well.

So when you offer them exactly the dream game that they had been waiting for for the past 15 years, of course they're going to support it.

With the lower marriage rate there is also a likely chance that many of these guys are unmarried and so have even more money than their married counterparts would have. So you easily see people dropping 1000+ dollars into the game. Because not only are they interested and want ships to fly but they feel good about it because they are funding their dream (the dream of playing a Wing Commander/Privateer iteration that won't be another crappy FPS rehash, and they've been waiting and dreaming of this game since the 90s).

Will Chris Roberts and team deliver on the game? I think they will. What they are aiming for isn't completely impossible and out of whack. Will they have to turn the dial down on some things, probably. But I guarantee that so long as you get a nice economy/persistent universe set in and multiple weapons/ships/modules and Newtonian physics flight, the fans will be happy as hell. Give them a good story in the Squadron 42 campaign as well and you have potentially the best game made since the 90s for PC.

---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#62Sk0rbutPosted 4/3/2014 1:45:27 AM
Exactly. The average pledge per backer is something around 100 dollars, so there is obviously a crazy amount of "whales" (terrible term...) who spent extreme amounts of cash to get average that high. The Kickstarter campaign launched over 500 days ago and they are still getting around $50000 per day - most Kickstarters would be extremely happy to make that much on their first day ...

Detailed pledge breakdown:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ariqrruk80VHdHVMREsxRWkwTXg2Rlc3clE0a3RwaXc#gid=4
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#63r7gerrabbitPosted 4/3/2014 5:24:15 AM
I'll be throwing my money in once I see the dog fighting module.

Not dumbed down for the masses, not dumbed down in graphics, and a full fledged sandbox. What's not to love about this game?

Gaming in general has been getting too linear and all AAA releases are boring as all hell. Flash with no substance. I can't wait for this game. Breath some life into the industry.
---
Sig.
#64Ch3wyPosted 4/3/2014 5:27:28 AM
They're probably going to end up selling it to Facebook.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#65Sk0rbutPosted 4/3/2014 5:56:46 AM
Ch3wy posted...

Chris Roberts, three days ago:
We have no plans nor interest in following this path! We donít need to go to anyone with deep pockets to make OUR dream a reality. [...] Iíve been down the big company acquisition route twice before and thereís a reason I am making Star Citizen totally independently!
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#66SinisterSlayPosted 4/3/2014 5:57:18 AM
Ch3wy posted...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#67Greendragon854Posted 4/3/2014 8:58:08 AM
Sk0rbut posted...
Exactly. The average pledge per backer is something around 100 dollars, so there is obviously a crazy amount of "whales" (terrible term...) who spent extreme amounts of cash to get average that high. The Kickstarter campaign launched over 500 days ago and they are still getting around $50000 per day - most Kickstarters would be extremely happy to make that much on their first day ...

Detailed pledge breakdown:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ariqrruk80VHdHVMREsxRWkwTXg2Rlc3clE0a3RwaXc#gid=4

The kickstarter campaign raised 2.5 million, if I remember correctly. Every single other dollar has been through their own website. They've been responsible for about 39 million dollars raised, and all of that goes straight to the company, and thus the game.
---
"Are you going to buy this time? Or are you still just curious?"
"Well, I supposed you could say I'm Buy-Curious" ~PSN - greeniebeanie
#68McbethPosted 4/3/2014 7:44:41 PM
SC is already at the point funding wise that they don't need to be bought by anyone. It's totally conceivable that by the time the game does go live they will have already broke 50 million in funding anyways.
---
http://a.imageshack.us/img830/2605/dsc00089k.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u169/Mcbethx/1177119041.jpg
#69SnipeStarPosted 4/3/2014 7:47:43 PM
BuyersRemorse55 posted...
One time freak occurrence. This game is going crash and burn and be a total debacle when it comes out.

this is exactly what i'm expecting
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#70Sk0rbutPosted 4/3/2014 11:45:04 PM
Mcbeth posted...
SC is already at the point funding wise that they don't need to be bought by anyone. It's totally conceivable that by the time the game does go live they will have already broke 50 million in funding anyways.

If the money keeps coming in at the current pace and they release the game in early 2015 then it's probably even going to reach 60 million...
---