This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When does a company have the balls...

#11Vindication123Posted 4/4/2014 10:43:56 AM
First you need a theme or themes that's suppose to bring everyone together. Socializing, role-playing, partying together, looting, fighting, exploration, story telling, puzzle-solving, etc.

Some of the features you suggest are more like hobbies, past-times, or jobs. Something of a personal preference that would make a crafting system actually work, since it's a type of barter and trade system that requires time and dedication.

Classes would be more like a skill percentage system in old muds, where you had to work at a skill to improve it over x amount of time or actions. Longer at first, then easier. With a need to practice to not lose an edge. For an MMO, there should be no cap on how far you could take this, like say 100% proficiency.

Ideally, this also brings into context something I've have yet to see realized on a large scale: Age, death, and re-birthing as a previous characters child, or living as a ghost, turning into a monster, a God, etc...This is something we could see during this generation cycle if developers were innovative enough.

Food and Drink is always nice, works well with a weight/inventory system. Only problem is that people grew out of this during the mud age because it's a bit tedious. I'm starting to think of Valhalla now for some reasons, anyway...

Sleep on the other hand, brings to mind interesting mechanics. What does your character do when you are not logged into the game??? Yes, the possibilities are interesting. To that note, if you wanted to sell stuff in a stall, for example, you shouldn't need to be logged into the game. Just turn into a NPC mode and let the server take control of it as a dynamic object shop.

Problem with PvP everywhere is bullying interference with a persons ability to play and enjoy the game. Solutions would be a duel like system for towns or areas with large concentrations of people, a guard or police force that goes after anyone seen brandishing weapons or magic. As in, keep it holstered in town. The issue lies outside these protections, and any system wear people are not equal in combat prowess. A gun for example is always a good deterrent for most.
---
'The Intel i7-3770 if you're rich, the i5 2500K, i53570 or i53570k if you're doing okay, the AMD A10-5800K or i3 if you're just about hanging in there.'
#12Justice98405Posted 4/4/2014 10:54:14 AM
"- You have to craft everything, there are no NPC merchants
- Realistic needs like food/drink/sleep:

Uhhh no. Just no. Those are cool ideas conceptually, but rarely work well in games, and in an MMO? They're all massive grinds anyhow, and you want them to be even MORE grindy?

Just imagine, in the middle of a dungeon with your friends, making awesome progress. Then your character takes a MASSIVE dip in effectiveness. Oh! You forgot to eat earlier, you were too busy and engrossed into the 20 OTHER things you do in pretty much all MMO's. Hey, break time, anyone bring any food to the dungeon? No? Oh, well, ya'll better carry me, because I just became the suck leader.

And you REALLY want to have to make EVERYTHING in the game? Wow, I just don't see that working at all. You're either likely going to have EVERYONE having nothing at all for AGES, or you have to have a game with it being much easier to get money/supplies, so that you can make everything and/or buy it from auction houses, and all that money would likely ruin the economy of the MMO pretty fast.

I'm not saying that done well, and 'right', these ideas couldn't work. But with very solid establishments of the main things that 'work well' in MMO's, the chances of someone taking the time and effort to try these ideas, let alone getting them right, seems almost impossible to actually happen.
---
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#13chandl34Posted 4/4/2014 11:04:53 AM
EVE is kind of like UO, but not nearly as fun.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#14RavenoussdPosted 4/4/2014 11:11:38 AM
i'm a big fan of everything being crafted...its one of the big reasons why i liked EVE online
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzc86ifgf-0
EXPLOSIONS?
#15KabtheMentatPosted 4/4/2014 11:11:43 AM
Honestly, there needs to be some kinda site/program that allows of easy table top pen and paper RPG playing with people across the Intarwebz.

That kinda seems like what the TC is asking for with his list of wants. Maybe not be a MMO exactly, but if you could easily gather a group of 5-30 people that could do this easily, that would probably fill a gap that MMORPGs don't.
---
Yeeaah...Somebody must've killed Darryl. Cuz that's what the guy had said.
#16Spidey555Posted 4/4/2014 11:12:09 AM
People want to play a game that is fun, not one that may resemble real life. People play to escape and experience. I don't want to play a game sitting in a corner for 8 real hours making things out of wood.
---
PS4: Spidey555
Steam: Spidey555
#17SinisterSlayPosted 4/4/2014 11:19:29 AM(edited)
All I ask for is Rakion combat in an MMO world and have character levels have minimal impact, have it 99% skill based.
Also, no grinding for crafting and as few kill x and collect y of z requests as possible.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#18Vindication123Posted 4/4/2014 11:16:01 AM
A craft/barter system is superior to loot drops any day. It's just a matter of tolerance to tedium. Some people would enjoy treating that part of the game as the actual game, and this would be the basis of the economy.

Only thing better than either system is looting treasure, that only exists until it is buried and looted the first time.

People making their own items, it really opens the door for a community of players.
Eve is a great example of a good game. When it first came out, people were just mining 24/7, now look at it. They used to say it was boring.
---
'The Intel i7-3770 if you're rich, the i5 2500K, i53570 or i53570k if you're doing okay, the AMD A10-5800K or i3 if you're just about hanging in there.'
#19Bellum_SacrumPosted 4/4/2014 11:19:18 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
All I ask for is Rakion combat in an MMO world and have levels have minimal impact, have it 99% skill based.
Also, no grinding for crafting and as few kill x and collect y of z requests as possible.

You just described the first Guild Wars.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#20KabutoflowerPosted 4/4/2014 11:22:17 AM
I miss Eve so much, but I've been away for so long that I'm not sure if I want to go back. If another MMO came around that allowed that amount of openness I would jump on it so quick.
---
"Don't talk when I'm orating."-Ben Caxton, Stranger In A Strange Land
3 year hiatus from the internet. Back with new accounts for everything.