This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When does a company have the balls...

#31SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/4/2014 12:43:31 PM
Cpazrun posted...
This will literally never happen. The costs associated with creating an MMO with the depth and complexity of those mechanics will never be recouped because you're describing an extremely niche title. The audience simply isn't there.

EVE Online says otherwise.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#32CatToyPosted 4/4/2014 12:45:02 PM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
So the solution is to create yet more terrible WoW clones that all eventually fail?

Considering they rarely actually fail, you can expect them to keep coming.

In fact the only games that I can think of that actually shut down are the ones that tried something different. Except maybe Vanguard.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#33SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/4/2014 12:46:02 PM
CatToy posted...
Considering they rarely actually fail, you can expect them to keep coming.

Seriously, they pretty much only fail when they lose the license ala Star Wars Galaxy, or the parent company goes belly up.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#34jake-sfPosted 4/4/2014 12:54:42 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
All I ask for is Rakion combat in an MMO world and have character levels have minimal impact, have it 99% skill based.
Also, no grinding for crafting and as few kill x and collect y of z requests as possible.

Well, I played Rakion.

And I loved it, besides the obvious and insane Pay 2 Win issues it had and the fact it was a broken game that they never actually wanted to improve.

That said, I mean I get where you're coming from, but TERA fits the bill fine enough to me, so far. If games can just keep going the more "action RPG" route then its already a lot better than WoW-style combat.

Rakion was more of the perfect, most amazing example of the potential of 3rd person fantasy "fighting game" that nobody ever attempts.

Anyway.

If they can just get away a bit more from the ridiculousness of stats and levels. Where are the days of MMOs where a level 20 can kill a level 60? Even if its unlikely, it should be possible. ALl thats in my mind nowadays is that in a MMO, heck in most RPGs, everything scales ridiculously high, breaking everything up. For no reason.

I don't personally want items and levels to just feel like they have no progression in them but... why oh why does it have to be in such boring, linear, ridiculous ways.

You know its just ridiculously wrong when a single level makes all the difference.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#35SinisterSlayPosted 4/4/2014 1:01:09 PM
jake-sf posted...

Rakion was more of the perfect, most amazing example of the potential of 3rd person fantasy "fighting game" that nobody ever attempts.

Exactly, build that and I'll give you 15 dollars a month. Rakion's 6 dollars a month wasn't too bad.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#36Sub TankPosted 4/4/2014 1:11:53 PM(edited)
0cu_87 posted...
...to make a new real MMORPG? Emphasis on RPG.
Somehow like Ultima Online RP Freeshards.. like

You mean an actual MMORPG -- where you roleplay the character, instead of the character roleplaying itself through a series of scripted events and predefined classes?

There's a lot of delicate balance and social psychology needed to create an open world where everyone can interact and have some sort of equal purpose. UO ran into a lot of trouble here when new players started getting slaughtered too frequently. They eventually left to play easier games, which went on to become the MMORPG standard. No one ever evolved the UO formula -- EA made sure of it when they cancelled every Ultima Online sequel.

Right now it's easier for MMOs to just copy WoW's formula and throw a bunch of quests in your face to distract you from how shallow the gameplay actually is. I doubt we'll see something interesting until this trend dies out. The good news is that it's already being done to death, so people will tire of it eventually.
---
"...on a ps3 a realalistic looking megaman with a huge universe to explore rag dog physics." - Djmidnight1
#37DawnshadowPosted 4/4/2014 1:16:42 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Honestly, there needs to be some kinda site/program that allows of easy table top pen and paper RPG playing with people across the Intarwebz.

Something like http://roll20.net/ ?
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#38atopp399Posted 4/4/2014 1:29:59 PM
Not many would play it. Especially if progress takes a long time and you get ganked in PVP all the time.
#39JKatarnPosted 4/4/2014 1:37:46 PM
Something like that wouldn't sell to the mass market, and most MMO publishers aren't going after a small niche, they want to capture (or attempt to anyway) the whole market. Not that it wouldn't be cool, but WoW has proven that people want the steady dripfed rewards for their time.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#40KabtheMentatPosted 4/4/2014 1:41:38 PM
Dawnshadow posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
Honestly, there needs to be some kinda site/program that allows of easy table top pen and paper RPG playing with people across the Intarwebz.

Something like http://roll20.net/ ?

Something like that. It's a step in the right direction, but still not, I don't know...user friendly enough? Needs something that's easy for newbies to break into if they wish, and old timers can find players easily.

And the UI needs work. Problem with a lot of programs that do this is that they have terrible UIs.
---
Yeeaah...Somebody must've killed Darryl. Cuz that's what the guy had said.