This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When does a company have the balls...

#41OreoBoy206Posted 4/4/2014 1:44:24 PM(edited)
Hopefully the MMO at the link below turns out good...

Former Ultima Online developers working on MMO that offers 'unparalleled freedom'

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/29/5559608/shards-citadel-studios
Source^^^
#42Silent Sniper IVPosted 4/4/2014 2:19:12 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Dawnshadow posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
Honestly, there needs to be some kinda site/program that allows of easy table top pen and paper RPG playing with people across the Intarwebz.

Something like http://roll20.net/ ?

Something like that. It's a step in the right direction, but still not, I don't know...user friendly enough? Needs something that's easy for newbies to break into if they wish, and old timers can find players easily.

And the UI needs work. Problem with a lot of programs that do this is that they have terrible UIs.

I've been using roll20 recently for a D&D game, and it really is pretty fantastic. It just takes a bit of time to get your macros and custom stuff setup. It's a lot more user-friendly if you buy-in apparently, but we've done fine without dropping any cash
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#43LOLIAmAnAltPosted 4/4/2014 2:30:48 PM
I want one where it is lifelike and realistic

One where you have the ability to craft things, or likewise get it at a shop.
But I also want to be able to open my own shop if desired.

I want the in game engine to be so complex, we can theoretically make thing in real life.
Like cars, and rocket ships eventually.

I want different atmospheres as well. Make the moon land-able and habitable. Where you will need to have the right equipment on.

Ok, now for the stuff i really don't want

I want it to mimic real life....I want it to have VR support.
Then it should be plugged into our spine.
Come on matrix, we can't that far away, can we?
---
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
#44KabtheMentatPosted 4/4/2014 2:35:07 PM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
Dawnshadow posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
Honestly, there needs to be some kinda site/program that allows of easy table top pen and paper RPG playing with people across the Intarwebz.

Something like http://roll20.net/ ?

Something like that. It's a step in the right direction, but still not, I don't know...user friendly enough? Needs something that's easy for newbies to break into if they wish, and old timers can find players easily.

And the UI needs work. Problem with a lot of programs that do this is that they have terrible UIs.

I've been using roll20 recently for a D&D game, and it really is pretty fantastic. It just takes a bit of time to get your macros and custom stuff setup. It's a lot more user-friendly if you buy-in apparently, but we've done fine without dropping any cash

I tried getting some PnP nerding on with roll20 and met a few friendly people. But the biggest problem I had was 99% of the games were Pathfinder or some other D&D variant. I'm sure those are cool games and all, but I'm into something like Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, or Vampires the Masquerade.

Literally impossible to get those going. I would've started my own groups/games but I don't have much PnP experience and would make a dreadful DM.
---
Yeeaah...Somebody must've killed Darryl. Cuz that's what the guy had said.
#45Ness0123456789Posted 4/4/2014 2:44:57 PM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
Guild wars has a hot bar for skills, instant fail. If the game has any "press button, awesome happens" then it's not skill based, its level based.

And yet Guild Wars 1 required a lot more than just "Press button for awesome". The game played more like a TCG meets RTS meets MMO than a WoW clone, which you seem to think it was based entirely on screen shots alone.

GW1 had a level cap of 20, reachable in literally an hour or two, and from there was a game based entirely on skill set ups and micromanagement of your Heroes. Yes, you could play the game with other people, but honestly the game's real enjoyment came from playing solo with Heroes, since as I said, it felt more like an RTS with MMO and TCG elemetns than it did a hot-key based MMO.

Of course playing with others did change the meta of the game pretty drastically as well, and while I personally preferred the RTS aspect of it playing solo, playing with others made the game feel almost like a PvE style Moba than anything else.

The game required a lot of precision team working in order to maintain working strategic positions of enemies using your skills and physical placement (since GW1 didn't have an actual aggro system), such as using your heavies to group enemies up and keep them in one place so your mages could AoE the crap out of them, or creating choke points in the terrain in order to allow your assassins or dervishes to get in behind and reap unholy hell on the enemies.

But GW1 aside, you seem to have never have even heard of games such as TERA or Vindictus, or to a lesser extent Mabinogi, as well as Monster Hunter and the colossal amounts of clones that game has spawned (Vindictus being one of them), to the point of Monster Hunter becoming it's own genre.

There are plenty of companies that make MMOs outside of Hot-Key style WoW clones, you just don't seem to be looking hard enough for them.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#46ATARIJAWAPosted 4/4/2014 2:43:34 PM
Archeage is coming out this year.
EQnext next year.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 116
#47ATARIJAWAPosted 4/4/2014 2:44:55 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
I'm going to just start ignoring people that throw around "themepark mmo" around.

Why? There hasn't been a good non-themepark mmo in 10 years. Themepark is a style.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 116
#48SinisterSlayPosted 4/4/2014 2:52:58 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Guild wars has a hot bar for skills, instant fail. If the game has any "press button, awesome happens" then it's not skill based, its level based.

And yet Guild Wars 1 required a lot more than just "Press button for awesome". The game played more like a TCG meets RTS meets MMO than a WoW clone, which you seem to think it was based entirely on screen shots alone.

GW1 had a level cap of 20, reachable in literally an hour or two, and from there was a game based entirely on skill set ups and micromanagement of your Heroes. Yes, you could play the game with other people, but honestly the game's real enjoyment came from playing solo with Heroes, since as I said, it felt more like an RTS with MMO and TCG elemetns than it did a hot-key based MMO.

But GW1 aside, you seem to have never have even heard of games such as TERA or Vindictus, or to a lesser extent Mabinogi, as well as Monster Hunter and the colossal amounts of clones that game has spawned (Vindictus being one of them), to the point of Monster Hunter becoming it's own genre.

There are plenty of companies that make MMOs outside of Hot-Key style WoW clones, you just don't seem to be looking hard enough for them.

Tera, hotkey for skills, hidden targeting.
Mabinogi, just really bad but still hotkeys for skills and targeting
Vindictus, inexplicably has targeting even though its peer 2 peer, could have easily been done using hit boxes. But is at least very close. Except it's still highly equipment and level based.

I have played all of them, none come even close to Rakion like combat and progression.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#49MedeyerPosted 4/4/2014 2:53:09 PM
So, you want to play Dofus?
#50Silent Sniper IVPosted 4/4/2014 2:53:31 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...

I tried getting some PnP nerding on with roll20 and met a few friendly people. But the biggest problem I had was 99% of the games were Pathfinder or some other D&D variant. I'm sure those are cool games and all, but I'm into something like Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, or Vampires the Masquerade.

Literally impossible to get those going. I would've started my own groups/games but I don't have much PnP experience and would make a dreadful DM.

It's typically because they're overly convoluted. A handful of people I know got together to try to do shadowrun recently, and the ruleset was just such a convoluted mess that at when all was said and done, none of us wanted to play anymore. Check somethingawfuls P&P forum, they have active players for most of those games last I checked.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned