This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When did the whole "gamer entitlement" trend start?

#1LoshadtPosted 4/5/2014 9:23:03 AM
This was something I really only noticed around the time of the ME3 debacle, but it could have started much earlier. When exactly did journalists and consumers start insulting other consumers for hating terrible anti-consumer practices such as those from EA as if they were a paid PR team?
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#2GynthaeresPosted 4/5/2014 9:41:12 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why-People-Hate-EA-Ten-Simple-Reasons-43696.html

That article claims that IGN coined the phrase with the Mass Effect 3 ending controversy. Here's the specific video:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/03/12/mass-effect-3-opinion-video
In fact he even brings up the whole "hating anti-consumer practices = entitlement" specifically towards the end, with talk of Day 1 DLC.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#3Loshadt(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2014 9:54:24 AM
Gynthaeres posted...
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why-People-Hate-EA-Ten-Simple-Reasons-43696.html

That article claims that IGN coined the phrase with the Mass Effect 3 ending controversy. Here's the specific video:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/03/12/mass-effect-3-opinion-video
In fact he even brings up the whole "hating anti-consumer practices = entitlement" specifically towards the end, with talk of Day 1 DLC.

So I guess that's where it really did start. It has become so widespread lately where people treat buying games on sale or even NOT buying games as a bad thing. They are actually upset by people who purchase most of their games on sale. And if you don't buy a game because it's a shoddy console port then they still get mad at you, because they act like the company ported a game over as an act of charity and not a goddamn business transaction.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#4StopthinkPosted 4/5/2014 9:55:24 AM
The same time conservatives started using it as a way to criticize democrats.
#5pitt12177Posted 4/5/2014 9:56:16 AM
1% white whale bigotry.
#6kobalobasileusPosted 4/5/2014 10:08:15 AM
Stopthink posted...
The same time conservatives started using it as a way to criticize democrats.

This. Blame the Tea Party.
#7grampamurkedPosted 4/5/2014 10:09:44 AM
The entitlement mentality is not exclusive to gamers. Look at the TV. Watch nearly any modern show or worse yet listen to democrat politicians. Everything the say & do revolves around giving something unearned to the public. Ap perfect example is that obamacare commercial where the guy in his early 20's goes on & on about getting obamacare coverage for NINE DAMN DOLLARS A MONTH. What he doesn't realize or seem to care about is SOMEONE ELSE is footing the bill for his healthcare.

The modern media and internet explosion has taken us past a point of no return I believe. It's now the makers vs the takers instead of Ask Not What Your Country Can Do for You
---
Xbox GT: Grampa Murked U Steam ID: grampamurkedu PSN ID: GRAMPAMURKEDU
#8DisastersaurusPosted 4/5/2014 10:14:27 AM
grampamurked posted...
The entitlement mentality is not exclusive to gamers. Look at the TV. Watch nearly any modern show or worse yet listen to democrat politicians. Everything the say & do revolves around giving something unearned to the public. Ap perfect example is that obamacare commercial where the guy in his early 20's goes on & on about getting obamacare coverage for NINE DAMN DOLLARS A MONTH. What he doesn't realize or seem to care about is SOMEONE ELSE is footing the bill for his healthcare.

The modern media and internet explosion has taken us past a point of no return I believe. It's now the makers vs the takers instead of Ask Not What Your Country Can Do for You

it's like he's really a grampa
---
video games are for children
#9DiviDudePosted 4/5/2014 10:16:10 AM
Disastersaurus posted...
grampamurked posted...

it's like he's really a grampa

This whole thread reeks of moth balls and fuddy-duddy.
#10ShadowThaReaperPosted 4/5/2014 10:17:41 AM
Contrarian Reddit idiots latched on to it so they can demonize every other gamer, like they're any ****ing better.

Same reason they jump to EA's defense if they haven't done anything wrong in a month.

Same reason they dismiss everything anyone has a problem with. Like the Facebook buyout of Oculus.