This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How future proof is my cpu in terms of 1080p gaming? i5 4670k OC

#11foodeater4Posted 4/6/2014 11:54:22 PM(edited)
Maybe youll have one or two crazy game thats comes out that recommends an 8 core but I wouldnt worry about it. As long as you can live with maybe not that one game running with every little setting maxed you'll be fine for a few years.

I feel like games have only really been supported quad cores recently even though they have been out for a while now. A ways off before 8 cores is the norm.

Your gtx 770 will probably need to be replaced before that CPU.
#12wheepitup(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 12:22:35 AM
foodeater4 posted...
Maybe youll have one or two crazy game thats comes out that recommends an 8 core but I wouldnt worry about it. As long as you can live with maybe not that one game running with every little setting maxed you'll be fine for a few years.

I feel like games have only really been supported quad cores recently even though they have been out for a while now. A ways off before 8 cores is the norm.

Your gtx 770 will probably need to be replaced before that CPU.

Wouldnt mind updating to a better single gpu in like 2-3 years time. I've got 650 watts of power.
---
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/decayedmatter | TwitchTV - http://www.twitch.tv/hauntedkrist | Origin of my username - http://youtu.be/ORKJHSPEk04?t=1m10s
#13romsnbombsPosted 4/7/2014 3:45:35 AM
You say "1080p gaming", but really the resolution doesn't matter for the CPU, just the GPU.

I would say wait for a real 8 core i7 (not the hyper threading quad cores) to be released as affordable for desktop, as your next upgrade.
---
2600k | GTX 780 | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB
#14Sk0rbutPosted 4/7/2014 4:09:42 AM
I bought an i5-2500k in 2011 and I've yet to find a real reason to upgrade to anything better.
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#15PhilOnDezPosted 4/7/2014 6:43:46 AM
Going by some pretty simple napkin math an OCd 4670k should average 60 fps for console ports for the entirety of this gen, barring tasks typically handled by the CPU being moved to the gpu. Kaveri is capable of that but I'm not sure if the consoles are that advanced even if they are more powerful.

PS4 APU in desktop specs is roughly equivalent to an 8150 underclocked to 1.1 or an 8350 underclocked to 1.0. 8 cores at 1ghz are going to be a lot slower than 4 cores at 4ghz, threading be damned, and that's completely ignoring that Haswell is about 45% faster per clock than AMD's offerings and that 2 cores are inaccessible by games on the consoles. Any game that runs at 30fps or better on the consoles will easily run at 60 fps on the 4670k, so long as your gpu can keep up with the settings you chose.

Now, if blizzard makes a Starcraft 3 that's even more demanding than 2 5-10 years down the line you might be out of luck since literally any processor available already struggles with SC2 (nb4 people with AMD processors who are always 'buttery smooth' in SC2 because no).
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#16romsnbombsPosted 4/7/2014 6:49:50 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
threading be damned

My issue is that sometimes a game needs, for example, to execute 3 threads simultaneously on 3 cores. Otherwise, it is maybe having to run 3 threads on 2 cores. But it's having to run thread 1 on core 1, then stop thread 1, then run thread 2 on core 1, then stop thread 2, then start thread 1 again. I think this cause stuttering, but I'm only a layman guessing.

I'm just thinking of how badly GTA IV (3 threads) ran on core2duo. And also bad company 2 (up to 8 threads?) ran badly on core2duo, no matter if it's 4GHz core2duo, a 2GHz Q6600 was better
---
2600k | GTX 780 | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB
#17PhilOnDezPosted 4/7/2014 6:56:29 AM
If a game's threading transfers to the PC port the threads are going to be slammed through so fast there won't be time for stutter. The two CPUs you listed had about a 50% per-thread disparity. 4670k vs PS4 APU is closer to 600% difference, over 400% through clock speeds alone, plus the improved efficiency (again, napkin math).

Also, Crysis 3 runs fine on current pentiums and it runs on 8 threads. The CPU lows can be pretty bad but the stutter isn't really a factor.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#18RavenoussdPosted 4/7/2014 8:03:25 AM
Joni_Cunningham posted...
that'll last you maybe a week or two

---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzc86ifgf-0
EXPLOSIONS?
#19RagnarokxvPosted 4/7/2014 8:11:35 AM
I have a core 2 quad Q9650 and I play modern games at 1920x1200 on high
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??