This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How many disable core parking?

#1romsnbombsPosted 4/7/2014 3:30:24 AM(edited)
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I was amazed to find that disabling core parking got rid of stuttering in both metro 2033 and last light. Actually, I didn't play last light recently much, and I think the stuttering was mostly resolved. But metro 2033 has basically gone from one of the most stuttery games I owned, to the smoothest, even at variable frame rate, no frame rate cap with no vsync.

It's starting to annoy me as I discover that it's possible there are multiple more things about my computer that aren't set up properly.

For example, by default, windows 7 is not using high precision event timer. It's enabled in the bios, by default, but you have to open a command prompt with admin and type "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true", press return, then reboot and that's it. I'm not the first to discover this, but I do seem to be the first to realize it was causing the stuttering and 100 fps frame rate cap in crysis 3. Everyone else is still forcing different timing by using google chrome or hypermatrix running in the background at the same time as the game. I actually don't think it matters if HPET is enabled or not, but if it is enabled in the bios, then it must also be enabled in windows. Or if it's not enabled in windows, it must be switched off in the bios.

I would definitely advise anyone with i7 to do both core parking fix and make sure HPET is configured properly.
---
2600k | GTX 780 | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB
#2PokenubPosted 4/7/2014 4:06:02 AM
I've done it, however since the application needs to actually take advantage of all of the cores (i7 4770k btw), it doesn't matter that much.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#3SinisterSlayPosted 4/7/2014 5:30:40 AM
Yeah I've done these things. Best way to get windows 8 performance on windows 7 since that's pretty much the only difference between the two that affects performance.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4romsnbombs(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 6:51:58 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Best way to get windows 8 performance on windows 7 since that's pretty much the only difference between the two that affects performance.

Yeah, I'd heard about that. But then I saw threads by people saying that they were using windows 8 and could see that certain software tools were telling them core parking was enabled?
---
#5romsnbombs(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 6:54:35 AM(edited)
Pokenub posted...
I've done it, however since the application needs to actually take advantage of all of the cores (i7 4770k btw), it doesn't matter that much.

I don't think it matters too much in terms of performance, per se. But when I switch core parking back on again, metro 2033 start stuttering, that is all I know. I cannot argue with this.
---
#6SinisterSlayPosted 4/7/2014 6:56:15 AM(edited)
romsnbombs posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Best way to get windows 8 performance on windows 7 since that's pretty much the only difference between the two that affects performance.

Yeah, I'd heard about that. But then I saw threads by people saying that they were using windows 8 and could see that certain software tools were telling them core parking was enabled?

Windows 8 less aggressively core parks.

I'm just trying to remember numbers here but it's something like 65% usage before a core is unparked in windows 7, and only 15% in windows 8. (Seriously I'm just guessing here, I don't remember the exact numbers)
Also, core parking only really effects i7s badly because it always tries to park the logical cores robbing you the performance increase.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#7Kokuei05Posted 4/7/2014 8:20:37 AM(edited)
I've read that core parking levels out jobs for your CPU to use. So core 0 doesn't constantly have more load than everything else which occurs for me.

I don't have it on however because I haven't looked into whether it works on a 2007 quad or on vista. I do remember the hpet on my motherboards bios though. I don't remember the setting.
---
Xeon x3220 @ 3.3Ghz [367*9] | Hyper 212 EVO | GA-EP45-UD3L | Mushkin 4GB DDR2-800 | EA-430W | 1GB 560 AC Twin Turbo II | WD 500 GB | AL1916W | G400s | HTF600-S
#8SinisterSlayPosted 4/7/2014 9:43:07 AM
Kokuei05 posted...
I've read that core parking levels out jobs for your CPU to use. So core 0 doesn't constantly have more load than everything else which occurs for me.

I don't have it on however because I haven't looked into whether it works on a 2007 quad or on vista. I do remember the hpet on my motherboards bios though. I don't remember the setting.

Core parking (enabled) causes the operating system to prefer task switching to multi tasking.
In Windows 7, if 2 tasks will collectively use less than a specified amount of CPU (I think 65% but not certain) that it will run on a single core. The idea being to save power.
What happens though is when a game syncs two threads, it expects them to run together, not one at a time being switched on the same core. So you get a stutter every time a thread has to catch up.
With parking disabled, 2 or more highest priority threads will get a core to themselves.
---