This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A Steam feature that seems underappreciated

#1DaedalusExPosted 4/7/2014 4:44:09 AM
The ability to change your username whenever you want, and for free. Nearly every other client forces you to use a single alias which is annoying to say the least. Times change, and with them so do our likes and dislikes. All too often I find myself dissatisfied with an account name and wanting a new one years after the fact due to changing tastes. Or some days I just feel like going under a different name. It's so nice that both of these things are a non-issue with Steam.

Here's to hoping this feature is never removed.
#2jcmasonPosted 4/7/2014 5:34:41 AM
I agree, it's quite nice. Would have liked to have been permitted to change my PSN name years ago, but eventually Sony banned it and I had to call in an create a new one. No fee, but I did lose all my trophy progress. Really didn't encourage me to continue playing their system.
---
http://www.spacepiratesandzombies.com/
i7-2600K|H80|MSI Z68A-GD80|3GB 780 GTX|8GB DDR3 @1600MHz|Corsair Graphite Series 600T White
#3TropicMoon10Posted 4/7/2014 5:36:29 AM(edited)
I can appreciate the feature as someone who hasn't changed his name since making the account in 2011 (at least not permanently). It's cool to know you can at any time.

The one negative out of it is that it makes things easier for trolls and hackers to not get caught. But even then Steam keeps track of your previous aliases.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#4NemerlightPosted 4/7/2014 5:37:18 AM
I need to change mine but i just cant come up with something more original.
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
#5KabutoflowerPosted 4/7/2014 5:42:25 AM
I like switching to a Russian name to troll people in Dota occasionally. Always awkward when a real Russian appears, but what can you do.
---
"Don't talk when I'm orating."-Ben Caxton, Stranger In A Strange Land
3 year hiatus from the internet. Back with new accounts for everything.
#6Killah PriestPosted 4/7/2014 7:07:20 AM
I'd appreciate the feature if it let me change my actual account name as opposed to just the profile name.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#7triple sPosted 4/7/2014 7:16:27 AM
Killah Priest posted...
I'd appreciate the feature if it let me change my actual account name as opposed to just the profile name.

Nobody wants to see your username be ASUS_AMD15. Thanks goodness you can't do it!
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#8Killah PriestPosted 4/7/2014 7:20:24 AM
Nobody wants to see your username be ASUS_AMD15. Thanks goodness you can't do it!

lol, but thats the part I actually can change I can already make the XxX_aSuS_AmD_Sn1p3R_XxX steam name!!!
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#9amskleiPosted 4/7/2014 9:24:27 AM
Kabutoflower posted...
I like switching to a Russian name to troll people in Dota occasionally. Always awkward when a real Russian appears, but what can you do.

Hahahahaha
---
Currently playing: GTA:V (Xbox 360), DotA 2 (PC), FFVI (iOS)
#10KillerTrufflePosted 4/7/2014 9:30:13 AM
I started with the nickname I wanted, so I've never had to change it.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23