This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Motherboard opinions

#21Neo_PortaPottyPosted 4/7/2014 8:37:28 AM
Shub posted...
It's just I don't get why people cheap out on the PSU when getting a nice, semi-high-end build like you're doing. Corsair's CX series is made to cater to the budget-conscious market. It doesn't perform all that well, the quality of its internals is mediocre, it's notorious for coil whine issues... it's just kind of a pity to power a nice build with one of those.

Well at the time I was going by reviews and the reviews on it were very good and the guy I was asking on parts made no mention of any issues also thankfully no coil whine on mine. Also the last pre built I bought had a 2 star reviewed psu that had mentions of bursting into flames on its page I used it with no issues for 5 years so I'm not THAT worried. And would you say it would be worth switching out the psu in a few months I can when I get enough together to cover my GPU and ram upgrade.
---
If its elitist to want decent performance, accountability, and class knowledge from the people you play with... SIGN ME UP!
#22ShubPosted 4/7/2014 8:38:48 AM
If you already have the PSU I wouldn't change it, I thought you were buying it new now.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#23r0ge00Posted 4/7/2014 8:39:55 AM
Neo_PortaPotty posted...
And would you say it would be worth switching out the psu in a few months I can when I get enough together to cover my GPU and ram upgrade.

Not worth it at all if you're having no problems with it. It's not a bad PSU, it's just not something you typically see in a build with a 4770K.
#24Killah PriestPosted 4/7/2014 8:40:17 AM
Even if you splurge on a psu you might not be immune.

I wish I could say to my ax1200i that you were expensive so you shouldn't cause whine... but even with a top of the line psu there is a chance of small incompatibilities with power delivery that can cause whines and hums.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#25TheNeoVoid(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 8:44:04 AM
I already bought the PSU and I'd hate to have to return it when I got a good deal on it.
---
PSN: NeoVoid
3DS FC: 0473-7778-8246 Viral
#26Neo_PortaPottyPosted 4/7/2014 8:44:48 AM
r0ge00 posted...
Neo_PortaPotty posted...
And would you say it would be worth switching out the psu in a few months I can when I get enough together to cover my GPU and ram upgrade.

Not worth it at all if you're having no problems with it. It's not a bad PSU, it's just not something you typically see in a build with a 4770K.

Hehe all I had heard was corsair made good puss and I saw it had good reviews curse people for not mentioning there cx line isn't up to snuff :) but yea it works fine so far and if it some point I need to replace it its not like I'm out a whole lot though I'll hate changing the 24 pin god that thing sucks.
---
If its elitist to want decent performance, accountability, and class knowledge from the people you play with... SIGN ME UP!
#27ShubPosted 4/7/2014 8:56:02 AM
TheNeoVoid posted...
I already bought the PSU and I'd hate to have to return it when I got a good deal on it.

You don't have to return it. My impression is that people see Corsair + low price = awesome and that's flawed thinking. I don't know if that was your train of thought so don't take it personally. All I'm saying is people often make the mistake of buying Corsair because it's Corsair and everybody buys Corsair because Corsair has the best power supplies and that's just not true anymore. Yes, they have good units, but Corsair knows people think that way and lately they've been exhibiting a worrying trend of sacrificing quality to move a larger volume of lower-priced units, riding on their name/reputation alone. The RM and CS (not CX) lines are prime examples of that.

The short and dry of it is I would not hesitate to put a CX in a low-end build, I put CX units a notch above Antec Basiq units on a hierarchy of low-end PSUs I would use given budgetary constraints, but in nicer builds, one can do a lot better for not a lot more dollars.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#28TheNeoVoid(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 9:04:11 AM
Shub posted...
TheNeoVoid posted...

You don't have to return it. My impression is that people see Corsair + low price = awesome and that's flawed thinking. I don't know if that was your train of thought so don't take it personally. All I'm saying is people often make the mistake of buying Corsair because it's Corsair and everybody buys Corsair because Corsair has the best power supplies and that's just not true anymore. Yes, they have good units, but Corsair knows people think that way and lately they've been exhibiting a worrying trend of sacrificing quality to move a larger volume of lower-priced units, riding on their name/reputation alone. The RM and CS (not CX) lines are prime examples of that.

The short and dry of it is I would not hesitate to put a CX in a low-end build, I put CX units a notch above Antec Basiq units on a hierarchy of low-end PSUs I would use given budgetary constraints, but in nicer builds, one can do a lot better for not a lot more dollars.

Thanks. One last question. What are your guys opinion on MSI motherboards? My friend hates the brand with a passion.
---
PSN: NeoVoid
3DS FC: 0473-7778-8246 Viral
#29ShubPosted 4/7/2014 9:07:37 AM
I've never used an MSI board but they seem fine. You get what you pay for, so while you may be drawn to the cheaper ones such as the Z87-G41 Mate, that's a very basic board I would not recommend.
---
-What is best in life?
#302Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 4/7/2014 9:12:47 AM
People seem to write off motherboard brands because of a previous bad experience or multiple. It's not bad reasoning but they tend to associate brands that are usually reliable with failure due to bad luck. I'm sure some MSI boards are good and some aren't so it all depends. I went with Gigabyte because I got a deal at the time
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922