This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What GPU to get? Jumping ship from consoles

#1JonsbaxPosted 4/8/2014 3:14:57 AM
So I'm getting into PC gaming but my 4 year old computer can do high settings only with games comparable to Xbox/GameCube, and after doing some research I've concluded that my current GPU, GeForce GT 420, is quite ****.

As for my other specs,
Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 (3 CPUs) ~2.9 GB
RAM: 6 GB

What GPU would you guys recommend with these? Say if I'd want to play something like Witcher 2 with medium settings? I'm probably going to be playing mostly from my bed with a controller about 6 ft away from the screen, so I'm not exactly looking for the best of the best.
#2Skul_Posted 4/8/2014 3:24:32 AM
You could get a 750TI or something.
How much moneys you got?
---
i5-2500::GTX770::8GB
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#3MaxCHEATER64Posted 4/8/2014 3:26:46 AM
R7 265
---
Specs: http://i.imgur.com/zkNfWZ0.png
#4Jonsbax(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2014 4:03:39 AM(edited)
Skul_ posted...
How much moneys you got?

Depending how long it's going to last.

I live in EU so your recommendation would cost me somewhere around 150, which is about as low as I had hoped I could get away with. If I'd raise my expectations a bit and get a GPU that I can expect to handle future releases with decent settings, can my other specs bottlecap and require upgrading as well? I'm willing to go up to 300, which internet tells me is 400$ presuming the prices scale properly.
#5Skul_Posted 4/8/2014 4:08:35 AM
Jonsbax posted...
Skul_ posted...
How much moneys you got?

I live in EU so your recommendation would cost me somewhere around 150, which is about as low as I had hoped I could get away with. If I'd raise my expectations a bit and get a GPU that I can expect to handle future releases with decent settings, can my other specs bottlecap and require upgrading as well? I'm willing to go up to 300, which internet tells me is 400$ presuming the prices scale properly.

Yeah your CPU will bottleneck you a bit.
---
i5-2500::GTX770::8GB
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#6TropicMoon10Posted 4/8/2014 4:15:19 AM(edited)
That CPU is really outdated. I wouldn't recommend going over a Radeon 7790 or GTX 650.

Although both of those should be able to handle TW2 on medium at lower resolutions
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#7WolfandsteinPosted 4/8/2014 4:15:22 AM
Skul_ posted...
Jonsbax posted...
Skul_ posted...
How much moneys you got?

Or just go with R7 265.
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/8/2014 4:16:11 AM(edited)
There's no point getting a $400 GPU with that CPU, but if you want to get a 770 now, and then upgrade your CPU/board to a i5 or i7 down the line, go for it.
750Ti is a good recommendation though.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#9Jonsbax(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2014 4:22:56 AM(edited)
Skul_ posted...
Jonsbax posted...
Skul_ posted...
How much moneys you got?

I kinda expected that. So, would it be smarter to just upgrade them both? AMD quad-cores (assuming they're adequate) seem to be ranging between 50-100, which isn't too bad, but I'd rather not have to spend more than 200 on the GPU.

The question is, can I upgrade both my CPU and my GPU with 400$, or do I have to just get the best GPU that doesn't get bottlenecked with my current CPU?
#10bkkorpsPosted 4/8/2014 4:22:33 AM
One thing to look out for is if your power supply is good enough for a higher end card. The 750ti is a good choice in the it doesnt use much power so it will probably work in your system.
---
Religion is like circumcision. If you wait until someone is 21 to tell them about it, they probably won't be interested.