This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will increasing my ram from 4 to 8 gigs improve my gaming performance?

#1indicaPosted 4/8/2014 2:12:12 PM
I have a pretty crappy graphix card--too ashamed to even say what it is--but I can play nearly all the newest titles with all high settings, but in 720. Anyway, do you think that upgrading to 8 gigs will give me any performance boost, maybe more FPS or something?
---
There is no good. There is no evil. There just is.
#2Lucavi000Posted 4/8/2014 2:14:05 PM
in all honesty it really depends on what your CPU/GPU is.
#3CatToyPosted 4/8/2014 2:14:11 PM
Unless you run with a million interweb tabs open, not likely, at least not very much. Probably better to put the money towards a video card instead.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#4JonWood007Posted 4/8/2014 2:15:08 PM(edited)
It will in games that use more than 4 GB (performance will be more stable).

If you're too ashamed to even tell us what GPU you're using, I'm guessing that's a way bigger problem than your ram is.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#5galfasanta1111Posted 4/8/2014 2:21:31 PM
With Watch Dogs I think you'd see a big difference.

Your PC would probably explode if you tried to run it on 4GB.
---
i7 3930k @ 3.2ghz | EVGA GTX 780 3GB SC'D | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 875W
#6g7g7g7g7Posted 4/8/2014 2:21:46 PM
Yes in most instances. If you are terrible for leaving background applications running and stuff then yes but for gaming in general the speed of ram can matter more than the quantity. 4GBs @ 1800 > 8GB @ 1333.

http://www.techbuyersguru.com/Ramgaming2.php
---
"You know what's most annoying about hearing neighbors having sex?,
When it's too quiet*" - Umbongo
#7ThatOneGuysHairPosted 4/8/2014 2:26:43 PM
most games are still 32bit (newer games like titanfall and the upcoming galactic civ 3[thnkugod] are 64bit) and wont use more than 2GB of ram (up to 4GB on x64 with large address aware flag.) this is useful for some 32 bit games such as: sims 3 with allll the expansions, large dwarf fortress embarks with graphical tilesets, and games with lots of mods like FONV

generally speaking, though, 32bit games wont use this much ram.

i'd upgrade my graphics card before the rams, but 4GB is steadily becoming the new 2GB
#8MarikhenPosted 4/8/2014 4:14:56 PM
CatToy posted...
Unless you run with a million interweb tabs open, not likely, at least not very much. Probably better to put the money towards a video card instead.

Not going to deny that if you've got a crappy card getting a new one is a better idea than getting more RAM, but there are too many viable, logical reasons for at least some people actually need 6GB-8GB for the old "loluonlyneed4gb" derision to be little more than the battlecry of a troll.

Sure, you don't need more than 4GB, but not everyone wants to turn off (almost) every single program before running a game lest they run afoul of their OS' virtual/swap file management system. Given that I've been a Windows user since 95 hit the market I've got good reason to want to avoid it. Even with Windows 7 it kinda sucks, if one were given to understatements.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#9HydroCannabinolPosted 4/8/2014 5:15:20 PM
Marikhen posted...
CatToy posted...

Not going to deny that if you've got a crappy card getting a new one is a better idea than getting more RAM, but there are too many viable, logical reasons for at least some people actually need 6GB-8GB for the old "loluonlyneed4gb" derision to be little more than the battlecry of a troll.

Sure, you don't need more than 4GB, but not everyone wants to turn off (almost) every single program before running a game lest they run afoul of their OS' virtual/swap file management system. Given that I've been a Windows user since 95 hit the market I've got good reason to want to avoid it. Even with Windows 7 it kinda sucks, if one were given to understatements.

Ya I agree. I hate it when people say, "the game won't use more than x amount of RAM". It's like, well I would also like to have other stuff running too, as well as the OS eating up RAM. Even if a game uses 2gigs of RAM that's only 2gigs left for the OS and all other applications which may or may not be enough. Not to mention games using more and more.

I feel like spending the 30-50 bucks for another 4 gigs is definitely worth it.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#10CatToyPosted 4/8/2014 5:24:23 PM
Marikhen posted...

Okay? I didn't say that you don't need more than 4GB, or even imply it.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.