This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Finally got fo3 to work without crashing

#1o0stoneduk0oPosted 4/8/2014 6:58:20 PM
I recently upgraded to a 780 gtx from a 670. I could never seem to get fo3 working but now it has been fine for an entire night, not a single ctd. I wonder if its the extra gig of vram, or if its because im using different drivers? Oh well, after many years its finally working so im happy.
---
I don't smoke dope, I don't drink bourbon, all I want to do is shake my turban.
#2NeninaPosted 4/8/2014 7:09:59 PM
Oh, it will start crashing again once you start using these mods:

Mart's Monster Mod ( the king of crash )
FOOK2 1.2beta ( the squire of ctd )
EWE
Project Reality ( not at first, but slowly and surely )
FWE ( a few, but they exist )
#3o0stoneduk0o(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2014 4:41:35 PM
Im only using fwe and some texture packages and a couple of other small ones, playing it safe as I actually want to complete this game without it messing up. Surprised its even running this well so far, been trying to play it for ages. I completed it on 360 in the end as I couldn't get it working but have always wanted to play it on pc. On another note I was playing NV on 360 a while ago (had same issues as fo3) and I got to a certain point and it just stopped working, my save got corrupted or something, so will try that next, feel im late to the party for praising fallout but when it works its a great series.
---
#4PsythikPosted 4/9/2014 7:41:51 PM
Can anyone with some expertise explain exactly how to fix instability issues? I've finally got NV to stop crashing by using NVAC, Boss, moving the game to the SSD, and reducing the amount of mods to about 20, but it still freezes randomly and it's driving me nuts trying to figure out how to fix it.

The only solution I've come across is to disable all mods, but IMO the game is unplayable without them so that's not an option. Suggestions?
---
4670K | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | BitFenix Phenom M (white) | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#5jedinatPosted 4/9/2014 7:53:18 PM
Psythik posted...
Can anyone with some expertise explain exactly how to fix instability issues? I've finally got NV to stop crashing by using NVAC, Boss, moving the game to the SSD, and reducing the amount of mods to about 20, but it still freezes randomly and it's driving me nuts trying to figure out how to fix it.

The only solution I've come across is to disable all mods, but IMO the game is unplayable without them so that's not an option. Suggestions?

Dunno what to tell you other than trying to determine which mod(s) are causing the crashing. I used to just deal with that crap with Morrowind and such a looong time ago... but I don't think it was so much an issue in more recent years.
#6NeninaPosted 4/9/2014 11:20:11 PM
Psythik posted...

My fnv is stable, as in I would be surprised to see it crashed. It became this way ever since I got rid of MMUE. In other words, my game became stable as soon as I got rid of what was crashing it. Find the mods that are doing the ctd and ban them.

Here's my fnv load order:

00 FalloutNV.esm
01 NVInteriors_Core.esm
02 NVInteriors_ComboEdition_AWOP.esm
03 ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esm
04 ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esm
05 DeadMoney.esm
06 HonestHearts.esm
07 OldWorldBlues.esm
08 LonesomeRoad.esm
09 GunRunnersArsenal.esm
0A ClassicPack.esm
0B MercenaryPack.esm
0C TribalPack.esm
0D CaravanPack.esm
0E YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm <- Yukigichai's Unofficial Patch
0F NVEC BugFixes.esm
10 AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm
11 FCOMaster.esm <- fallout character overhaul
12 The Mod Configuration Menu.esp [Version 1.5]
13 athornysituation.esp <- fnv uncut series
14 avangraffscorned.esp <- fnv uncut series
15 NVEC Reduce CTD.esp
16 awilderwasteland.esp <- fnv uncut series
17 betsybrahmin.esp <- fnv uncut series
18 kochandbohr.esp <- fnv uncut series
19 Pacersgambit.esp <- fnv uncut series
1A rotfacetoriches.esp <- fnv uncut series
1B Sprint Mod.esp
1C AWOPDeadMoney.esp
1D AWOP DLC + GRA Conflict Error Fixes.esp
++ Digital_Nightmare.esp <- music replacer
1E RadioGhosts.esp <- radio mod
1F TranceServers.esp <- radio mod
20 AWOP Interior Music.esp
21 AWOPDeadMoneyVendorPatch.esp
22 FCO.esp
++ FCO - Melissa Fix.esp
23 Bashed Patch, 0.esp
#7emperor_of_edenPosted 4/9/2014 11:30:50 PM
did you remember to do the ini fix for quad cores to help with crashes also
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL77ECC4B6194E1685
its for a channel called gophervids he is a mod dev and its a pretty good tutorial on bug fixing and mod installation and also some good mod reviews. it has helped with some of my crashes
#8Giblet_EnjoyerPosted 4/9/2014 11:55:12 PM
God damn I hope they wise up and use an engine that isn't dog s*** for the next Fallout game. Such a shame. Even vanilla FO3 crashes for me in some areas, both on Vista and 7 and even after doing the multicore fix

I modded the hell out of Just Cause 2 and it never crashes
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/katanaman444
Pccouchcoop.com http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html
#9o0stoneduk0o(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2014 4:20:25 AM
Not entirely sure what fixed mine, maybe the gpu upgrade or maybe the mods im using. Im also using fose this time and the archive invalidation mod from nexus. I have the games for windows live disabler, nmcs texture pack, fwe, project reality, fake fullscreen, fellout, fallout redesigned and fallout reanimated.
---
#10NeninaPosted 4/10/2014 6:47:50 AM
fnv actually has a better engine than Fallout 3. Better in the case of having more actors on screen and in combat before choking. fnv is also more stable, not because of the engine or because of obsidian, but because of the modders.

There are people that swear that FO3 is much more stable with Tale of Two Wastelands, which runs both games on the fnv engine.

For the .ini fix, it's best to make sure to do the edits in all the .ini configuration files. In My Documents and where fnv is installed.

In my experience, if you are running the following mods then you're gonna have a bad time:

Increased Wasteland Spawns ( very, very bad )
Project Reality Mark Whatever ( slowdowns and eventual crashes )
EVE ( laser and plasma eyecandy not worth the combat crashes and slowdown )
Mission Mojave Any Edition ( bugfixes should improve the game, not make it worse )
New Vegas Uncut 8 ( crash on new game )