This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the most compatible post-XP OS for games?

#11ChetyrePosted 4/9/2014 5:35:58 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
People proposing VMs as a solution have me convinced that noone knows what they're talking about.

VMs are terrible for accuracy, they can't even do threads right.

I game on a VM. KVM host with vga passthrough to a windows 8.1 guest. Works flawlessly
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#12OUberLordPosted 4/9/2014 6:01:04 AM
Win XP is the same liability whether it's running in VM mode or not.

I'd say just get Win 7. For the odd game that you can't run in Win 7 you can likely run it within DOSBox.
#13JKatarnPosted 4/9/2014 6:02:48 AM
I would avoid 8 if the main use of your computer is gaming, as there have been scattered game/application/driver issues, and IMO a few nice UI features here and there aren't worth compromising compatibility with games. At this point Vista with Service Pack 2/7 are nearly as fast/as fast as XP with many many niceties over the aging OS, and are mostly compatible with older games. If you are using a 64 bit flavor of the OS, you will of course not be able to run games that use 16-bit executables or installers, but the same would go for 64-bit Windows XP.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#14HydroCannabinolPosted 4/9/2014 6:05:59 AM

Its clear you don't know what you're talking about. Well you're like half right.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#15OUberLordPosted 4/9/2014 6:08:43 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...

Its clear you don't know what you're talking about. Well you're like half right.

You realize that a Win XP VM with network access has no difference between it and a physical machine right? That the host OS offers it zero protection and that it's essentially stand alone?
#16Worknofun370Posted 4/9/2014 6:34:50 AM
OUberLord posted...
You realize that a Win XP VM with network access has no difference between it and a physical machine right? That the host OS offers it zero protection and that it's essentially stand alone?

Ehh, it sorta depends. The default networking for most of the VMs I deal with are NAT from the host machine, which does offer at least a little bit of protection.

BUTtttt... not much at all if that host machine is already behind a router NATing.

However, people thinking you can run it in a VM and just be safe and dandy are flat out wrong.
#17HydroCannabinolPosted 4/9/2014 6:36:57 AM
That's why you're half right. For one, why would you really be using networking on your old xp vm if its for playing old games??

Secondly, if anything were to happen, you can easily delete the vm and start again.

You act like its literally the same as running xp as your main OS... its not.

You use your host OS for everything and the vm for any games that absolutely cannot run in windows 7 environment.
---
#18HydroCannabinolPosted 4/9/2014 6:39:34 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
OUberLord posted...

Ehh, it sorta depends. The default networking for most of the VMs I deal with are NAT from the host machine, which does offer at least a little bit of protection.

BUTtttt... not much at all if that host machine is already behind a router NATing.

However, people thinking you can run it in a VM and just be safe and dandy are flat out wrong.

Your host machine absolutely IS safe. Who cares about your virus ridden VM that you can restart in five minutes and has no sensitive data.
---
#19Killah PriestPosted 4/9/2014 6:40:01 AM
since windows XP I've used

Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows 8.1

without any compatibility issues.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#20Worknofun370Posted 4/9/2014 6:41:23 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...
Your host machine absolutely IS safe. Who cares about your virus ridden VM that you can restart in five minutes and has no sensitive data.

Umm.. I have no clue why you're pointing out the host machine is safe. I never said otherwise.