This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the most compatible post-XP OS for games?

#21OUberLordPosted 4/9/2014 7:47:16 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...
That's why you're half right. For one, why would you really be using networking on your old xp vm if its for playing old games??

Secondly, if anything were to happen, you can easily delete the vm and start again.

You act like its literally the same as running xp as your main OS... its not.

You use your host OS for everything and the vm for any games that absolutely cannot run in windows 7 environment.

People are lazy. The ones that don't know any better will let XP Mode do it's thing which has networking on by default. Other solutions also leave networking on as a default option. The ones that do know enough to have concern may leave it on out of convenience to move installs and patches for the games over.

If anything were to happen then yes, you could delete and start again, assuming that you find that it was compromised in the first place. I don't have statistics on how many people run AV on their VMs but I'm guessing its low, and near nil for XP Mode.

It's not the same as running it as the main OS on the PC that you are using, but for all intents and purposes it is still a full blown OS install in your environment.

If you're already on Win 7, an XP VM is near pointless. Chances are high that games will either run natively in Win 7, run with some fiddling, or will run in DOSBox.
#22OUberLordPosted 4/9/2014 7:49:20 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
OUberLord posted...
You realize that a Win XP VM with network access has no difference between it and a physical machine right? That the host OS offers it zero protection and that it's essentially stand alone?

Ehh, it sorta depends. The default networking for most of the VMs I deal with are NAT from the host machine, which does offer at least a little bit of protection.

BUTtttt... not much at all if that host machine is already behind a router NATing.

However, people thinking you can run it in a VM and just be safe and dandy are flat out wrong.

Your host machine absolutely IS safe. Who cares about your virus ridden VM that you can restart in five minutes and has no sensitive data.

Because your virus riddled VM might be part of a botnet sending spam. It might be used as a back door into the rest of the network. Not to mention the legal concerns over liability if it were used for any illicit activity by someone else.
#23SinisterSlayPosted 4/9/2014 8:00:42 AM
Also, there are already viruses that can escape the VM. Especially any that use shared networking.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#24Worknofun370Posted 4/9/2014 8:05:36 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Also, there are already viruses that can escape the VM. Especially any that use shared networking.

A VM without any networking is pretty self contained, a virus won't be able to escape it (or at least... I certainly don't know of any.)

However, the second a VM gets any type of networking it can easily spread viruses, to the host machine, other computers on the network, or to the outside world. (Depending on the network setup, of course)
#25SinisterSlayPosted 4/9/2014 8:09:28 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

A VM without any networking is pretty self contained, a virus won't be able to escape it (or at least... I certainly don't know of any.)

However, the second a VM gets any type of networking it can easily spread viruses, to the host machine, other computers on the network, or to the outside world. (Depending on the network setup, of course)

There is a proof on concept virus out there that uses software controlled CPU virtualization to run code on the host. I don't know of any viruses that can infect when using hardware assisted virtualization on the CPU.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#26TrulyEpicLawls(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2014 10:05:44 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
If it's an xp machine, it will probably run like crap with Windows 7.

It's just a machine rather than an XP machines. I can play recent games on the highest settings, so I'm assuming a change to Windows 7 won't be a problem. My 8 year old specs would be able to run Battlefield 3 and 4 anyway. :D

ThunderPotato posted...
(install your copy of XP in VM)

Never got a copy of XP with my computer, thank you Currys/PC World.
---
To win an argument: 'calm down', 'troll', 'hater', 'you obviously', 'LOL', 'don't care', 'I'm done', 'actually this is funny', 'not wasting my time', 'butthurt'
#27Fade2black001Posted 4/9/2014 10:12:08 AM(edited)
OMG. A OS isn't being supported anymore... The world is going to end... Just because an OS isn't being supported doesn't mean you HAVE to upgrade. Why would you seriously think this?

Why not just use XP? There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#28JKatarnPosted 4/9/2014 10:16:11 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
OMG. A OS isn't being supported anymore... The world is going to end... Just because an OS isn't being supported doesn't mean you HAVE to upgrade. Why would you seriously think this?

Yes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using an OS that will so no new security/driver/application updates, absolutely nothing wrong at all. Lol.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#29Fade2black001Posted 4/9/2014 10:19:04 AM
JKatarn posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

Yes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using an OS that will so no new security/driver/application updates, absolutely nothing wrong at all. Lol.

Give me a break.... I haven't updated my OS in like a year and I don't have any problems with it.

Also I am glad you agree with me
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#30OUberLordPosted 4/9/2014 11:13:28 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
JKatarn posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

Give me a break.... I haven't updated my OS in like a year and I don't have any problems with it.

Also I am glad you agree with me

So, you willingly browse the web knowing that you are running with easily exploitable flaws in platforms such as .NET and SSL and are just hoping you don't get impacted? To each their own, but that seems negligently silly.