This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the most compatible post-XP OS for games?

#31Kerr AvonPosted 4/9/2014 10:19:02 AM
Windows 7 is great. But if you're happy to stick with XP, and you don't need any Windows 7/8 (or Vista) features such as more than 4GB memory, 64 bit CPU support, etc, then provided you don't game online then you can stick with Windows XP for all offline things (gaming, etc) and use Linux for web surfing and anything else online related.

Just download a Linux Mint (or whatever) distribution (or buy a commercial magazine that has Linux on it's cover), and either install it to a CD-R/DVD-R or USB stick and boot from that (called Live-booting) whenever you want to use the 'net, and if you're happy with that, consider installing Linux to your PC (but keep XP on there too, of course), to make booting up Linux a little faster.

Linux is free, fast and reliable, so using it for non-gaming stuff is great.
---
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#32neoamericanPosted 4/9/2014 10:28:31 AM
OUberLord posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
JKatarn posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
OMG. A OS isn't being supported anymore... The world is going to end... Just because an OS isn't being supported doesn't mean you HAVE to upgrade. Why would you seriously think this?

Why not just use XP? There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Yes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using an OS that will so no new security/driver/application updates, absolutely nothing wrong at all. Lol.

Give me a break.... I haven't updated my OS in like a year and I don't have any problems with it.

Also I am glad you agree with me

So, you willingly browse the web knowing that you are running with easily exploitable flaws in platforms such as .NET and SSL and are just hoping you don't get impacted? To each their own, but that seems negligently silly.

I'm amazed he found this message board.
---
The American dream means equal opportunity for its citizens. The neoamerican dream is the same thing but has a high speed car chase. {WOT}
#33HydroCannabinolPosted 4/9/2014 5:08:35 PM
Kerr Avon posted...
Windows 7 is great. But if you're happy to stick with XP, and you don't need any Windows 7/8 (or Vista) features such as more than 4GB memory, 64 bit CPU support, etc, then provided you don't game online then you can stick with Windows XP for all offline things (gaming, etc) and use Linux for web surfing and anything else online related.

Just download a Linux Mint (or whatever) distribution (or buy a commercial magazine that has Linux on it's cover), and either install it to a CD-R/DVD-R or USB stick and boot from that (called Live-booting) whenever you want to use the 'net, and if you're happy with that, consider installing Linux to your PC (but keep XP on there too, of course), to make booting up Linux a little faster.

Linux is free, fast and reliable, so using it for non-gaming stuff is great.

I'm going to take a really educated guess here and say you have no idea what 32-bit and 64-bit means....

64-bit xp does in fact exist... albeit with less driver support but I guess I'm nitpicking again...
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#34Orestes417Posted 4/9/2014 5:16:47 PM
64-bit XP may as well not exist for how sub par it was, not to mention late to market and an unlikely purchase for anyone who forked over the cash for normal XP.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#35TrulyEpicLawls(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2014 4:07:57 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
JKatarn posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
OMG. A OS isn't being supported anymore... The world is going to end... Just because an OS isn't being supported doesn't mean you HAVE to upgrade. Why would you seriously think this?

Why not just use XP? There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Yes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using an OS that will so no new security/driver/application updates, absolutely nothing wrong at all. Lol.

Give me a break.... I haven't updated my OS in like a year and I don't have any problems with it.

Also I am glad you agree with me

Correction: You have not been made aware of any problems with it.

No one knows they have problems until something happens to make them aware of it after the fact.
---
To win an argument: 'calm down', 'troll', 'hater', 'you obviously', 'LOL', 'don't care', 'I'm done', 'actually this is funny', 'not wasting my time', 'butthurt'