This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

AMD's Raja Khodury: It's... like getting four generations of hardware ahead

#11darkstar4221Posted 4/10/2014 4:13:58 AM(edited)
wizardmon posted...
LostHisHardcore posted...
TropicMoon10 posted...
Isn't DX12 Windows 8 only though?

Probably. I bet MS has been holding these "optimizations" close to them waiting for that perfect time to stay an industry leader

It's confirmed working for Windows 7

Yes Microsoft improved interoperability with their own operating system. Microsoft always doing what's best for gamers. Now if Microsoft can improve interoperability with Linux and other operating systems....fat chance of that happening.
#12reincarnator07Posted 4/10/2014 4:19:05 AM
darkstar4221 posted...
wizardmon posted...
TropicMoon10 posted...

Probably. I bet MS has been holding these "optimizations" close to them waiting for that perfect time to stay an industry leader

Yes Microsoft improved interoperability with their own operating system. Microsoft always doing what's best for gamers. Now if Microsoft can improve interoperability with Linux and other operating systems....fat chance of that happening.

More likely that they remembered what happened when they tried that with Vista and DX10. With all the negative PR from W8 and the X1 (whether deserved or not), they really don't need to make it worse on themselves.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#13Surprise_Cactus(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2014 6:02:28 AM
wizardmon posted...
TropicMoon10 posted...

I doubt it's feature complete since Windows 8 is required for DX11.1 and 11.2.
---
The Windmill the Second is not just for show!
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9106/windmill2ndshl.jpg
#14GwendalPosted 4/10/2014 6:25:51 AM
I'm kind of surprised AMD is so enthusiastic about this. Wouldn't they want to promote Mantle instead?

Anyway, this new DirectX probably won't be compatible with Fermi cards, right?
---
Currently playing:
Valkyria Chronicles 3 (PSP)
#15darkstar4221Posted 4/10/2014 6:50:43 AM(edited)
Gwendal posted...
I'm kind of surprised AMD is so enthusiastic about this. Wouldn't they want to promote Mantle instead?

DirectX is the most widely used API for gaming, but it's proprietary and only available on Windows. Although Mantle is open source and multi-platform, it doesn't have the support DirectX gets. Developers trying to work on two different APIs is a waste of time and AMD realizes this.

Instead Microsoft just simply took the ideas of Mantle and implemented on Direct X. AMD is probably just excited that at least the ideas of Mantle are being used. And that's the benefit of having a monopoly folks.
#16godplaysSNESPosted 4/10/2014 7:09:20 AM(edited)
This is mostly about improving CPU performance
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#17DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/10/2014 7:06:51 AM
I thought it was cutting off CPU overhead?
Reduction of the primary rendering logic thread overhead, in particular at the driver and kernel layer.
OpenGL seems to be doing quite well too. Very nice for the lack of progress in CPU performance over the last few years.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#18AerothosPosted 4/10/2014 2:14:03 PM
Gwendal posted...

I mean, think about it. Intel has focused on increasing instructions per clock while amd found they could get similar performance in multi-threaded applications for less money by focusing on higher core count. It bit amd in the backside hard when games were benched that only used 4 cores and made them look like a joke.

Suddenly an new api is coming that will make all future games balance the workload across every core and the fx8350 is going from a bit less performance (core for core, clock for clock in games that use 4 cores) than a core 2 quad, to being able to perform on par with the upper midrange haswell chips. Literally a 4 cpu generation boost in performance. Wouldn't you be excited that your investments are finally paying off and you're going to look awesome because your offering similar performance at a much lower price?

I foresee a spike in amd sales and increase in price once dx12 games start benching the same way battlefield 3/4, crysis 3, and metro last light did. (the few games that actually use more than 4 cores and ran as well on amd's processors as they did intel's.)

All directx 11 cards will be directx 12 compatible, including those using the fermi architecture.

inb4amdfanboy i run a skulltrail rig so i'm expecting the same benifits on my intel 8 core.
#19popping4itPosted 4/10/2014 2:54:27 PM
they always do this with everything. they did it for mantle as well. they do this to get raises.
---
whens mahvel?
#20gunner967Posted 4/10/2014 3:09:26 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
I installed the cloud to my solid ram floppy drive and now my PC is like way faster. I downloaded some DDR5 memory too from the internet and now internet explorer only crashes a few times a day.

It only crashes because you didn't use BLAST PROCESSING!
---
Xbox Live- A Killing Pie ~~~ PSN- A_Killing_Pie
"I'm going to put my quantum harmonizer in your photonic resonation chamber!"