This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Watch Dogs on PC will require Uplay

#21DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/9/2014 3:42:41 PM
Kano92 posted...
Why can't ubisoft just let Steam take care of the distribution of the game, why are they getting involved in the distribution part ? I don't get it, am I missing something ?

It's their answer to invasive DRM that they can pass off as totally not being drm 4 reelz guize.
Anyone remember when Ubisoft was all "people don't like invasive DRM, and it doesn't work, so we won't have obnoxious crap anymore ever!" and all the noobs were like "yaaaay ubisoft is da bestest evar" and anyone who knew better was like "lol I wonder what crap they'll pass off as 'not drm' now?"
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#22DragnfyrPosted 4/9/2014 3:43:47 PM
CourtofOwls posted...
no...no it doesn't

when you click on the game in steam it brings up uplay
then it asks you to login (even though it's supposed to be on auto login)
then it never works in offline mode because it says you haven't run the game before even when you totally have
then it has to update something
then it does some stupid cloud save thing that doesn't even work and has to be cancelled out of every damn time
then you have to launch the game from uplay
then it runs an ad from uplay upon exiting the game

When was the last time you used uPlay from Steam? For me it launches straight into the game unless there is a uPlay update.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#23TropicMoon10Posted 4/9/2014 3:43:48 PM
I actually never tried a uPlay game while offline. I'm guessing it won't run at all? That would suck.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#24DragnfyrPosted 4/9/2014 3:45:06 PM
Logical_One posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
temgun posted...
Why is this news? It's quite cringe-worthy to see people saying stuff like "omg, uplay=no buy, pirating dis shieet". Like what...

Kano92 posted...
Might as well just buy the uPlay version and save myself the hassle of running both Steam & uPlay ?

What hassle? With any Ubisoft game on Steam, you click on the play button on Steam and the game starts. When you quit the game, you have to click the Quit Uplay. I really don't see how that's somehow intrusive or even a hassle to deal with.

UPlay actually does make it a hassle to run its games sometimes, in that (depending on the game) it will make you push through ads for DLC or microtransactions ("buy this for your game!") to actually start the game.

QFT.

Might as well buy it for uPlay directly though because you can get a pretty hefty discount on the pre-order (GetGamesGo and Gamefly Digital--25% and 20% respectively).
---

Then you'll have to deal with uPlay's horrible patching system. Also you'll have to go through another program to launch the game. Most people already have Steam running in the background so launching from Steam is much easier.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#25BringitPosted 4/9/2014 3:56:21 PM
Can somebody explain the Uplay patching problems?

Have been considering Black Flag recently (currently discounted on the store) but if there are issues I might just wait for a future Steam sale.
---
"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable." - Dean Learner
#26sangreenPosted 4/9/2014 4:16:42 PM
if i play watch dogs will i finally be able to watch my dogs
---
huehuehuehuehuheheuheuhuehue
--Angerfist
#27Sora_AnbuPosted 4/9/2014 5:59:52 PM
Bringit posted...
Can somebody explain the Uplay patching problems?

Have been considering Black Flag recently (currently discounted on the store) but if there are issues I might just wait for a future Steam sale.

When I tried to update far cry 3,i was sent to their website to download the patch, after downloading it and trying to install it, it would ctd all the time, and I couldn't play it without applying the patch, so I had to un install, then re install, re download the patch... Rinse and repeat because the download kept getting corrupted for one or the other. Now it only crashes when I exit the game.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#28temgunPosted 4/10/2014 4:00:52 AM
Dragnfyr posted...
CourtofOwls posted...
no...no it doesn't

when you click on the game in steam it brings up uplay
then it asks you to login (even though it's supposed to be on auto login)
then it never works in offline mode because it says you haven't run the game before even when you totally have
then it has to update something
then it does some stupid cloud save thing that doesn't even work and has to be cancelled out of every damn time
then you have to launch the game from uplay
then it runs an ad from uplay upon exiting the game

When was the last time you used uPlay from Steam? For me it launches straight into the game unless there is a uPlay update.

Yeah, maybe it did that at some point, but not anymore. The offline mode works very well too. You can't play a game in offline mode if you haven't started the game on Steam either, so I don't know what the problem is.
#29arleasPosted 4/10/2014 4:19:21 AM(edited)
Buburibon posted...
Kano92 posted...
Might as well just buy the uPlay version and save myself the hassle of running both Steam & uPlay ?

Save yourself the headache of having to update it through uPlay, and get the Steam version instead.

As someone with a few games on steam that use Uplay: they do not update through steam. I start up the game thinking "I'm about to play" and instead I find that I have to update Uplay and the game...

It would make sense to me that they would update through steam but they don't...so if that's the sort of thing that ticks you off, better just buy it on Uplay.

As for when the last time I played a uplay game on steam, that would be yesterday. I started up Far Cry 3 for a second to verify that it was going to start steam up if I tried to just use Uplay by itself.

Otherwise if I click to start a uplay game on steam, it auto logs me in, starts the game right up and no other serious problems (so far). I haven't had the chance or reason to try it offline though.

---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#30BingSanpaoPosted 4/10/2014 4:55:13 AM
I've installed an old Far Cry 3 uplay key I got during last GMG sales last week and the updates are all automated. You have to run 2 installers. Annoying, but hardly difficult. As for Black Flag, it's all automated, there is no need to do anything.