This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you save scum?

#11SteamsterPosted 4/10/2014 1:22:04 PM
No

It's more fun having to live with consequences and adjust my playstyle on the fly. Save scumming is kind of pointless to the way I like to enjoy video games.
#12rusty12000Posted 4/10/2014 1:24:30 PM
Yep it defiantly happens to me. I just try to make sure to clean it on a regular basis.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#13DarkLagunaPosted 4/10/2014 1:26:44 PM
I don't really save scum, but I am one of those people that saves at least once every 5 minutes if I'm able. I hate replaying the exact same part of a game I just played, so I tend to save often. I actually get kind of anxious if I haven't been able to save for more than 15-20 minutes, if the game has a reasonable chance of killing me.

Nowdays there's not much worry about that; Almost every game has checkpoints, frequent save points, let you continue if you die, or lets you save at any time. Back in the NES days games were much more brutal in that regard, especially the always uber-long final dungeon and multi-phase final boss battles, and no save points between the start and finish.
---
I feel a draft on my butt...
#14RPGMattPosted 4/10/2014 1:29:16 PM
DarkLaguna posted...
I actually get kind of anxious if I haven't been able to save for more than 15-20 minutes, if the game has a reasonable chance of killing me.

Almost like real life!
---
http://www.facebook.com/chaosframe
#15MahoganyTooth92Posted 4/10/2014 1:32:33 PM
This one rookie died whom I have no reason to be attached to or care about yet?

RELOAD
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
3DS FC: 2234-8306-6237
#16KillerTrufflePosted 4/10/2014 1:33:16 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
This topic makes me uneasy. I need an adult. Like a good neighbor State Farm is there!

Does it actually work if you type it instead of say it? If so, how pissed is that guy by now?
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#17DarkLagunaPosted 4/10/2014 1:37:28 PM
RPGMatt posted...
DarkLaguna posted...
I actually get kind of anxious if I haven't been able to save for more than 15-20 minutes, if the game has a reasonable chance of killing me.

Almost like real life!

Haha. Not really. I won't go into all my various problems, but let's just say I'm rather nihilistic. Games are a great diversion, but replaying stuff you just played is boring. =P
---
I feel a draft on my butt...
#18cody4783Posted 4/10/2014 2:03:54 PM
Shub posted...
KidInTheHall posted...
I'm having to save those scum a lot from other players.

BS, you use them as meat shields.

FAC--
KidInTheHall posted...
^ Please don't lob facts at me as if they were insults.

Oh...well. Uh. Nevermind then...

ThePCElitist posted...
This topic makes me uneasy. I need an adult. Like a good neighbor State Farm is there!

I was like 10 and heard that and thought "Like a good Lawyer, State Farm don't care!"

But back on topic. I don't USUALLY save scum, unless the game is just overly hellbent on screwing you over and/or gives you the tools to easily do so. Permadeath, forced restart/major loss of progress if you die? Hell yes I abuse quicksave and quickload whenever possible.

But, if it's something where you only lose back to a checkpoint, or a smaller amount of time for that session of the game if you "lose", and subsequently "Save scumming" involves some backwards tactic of backing up saves manually...Then generally "No", I can't be bothered to go through the effort to save inconsequential amounts of time.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#19codyorrPosted 4/10/2014 2:20:50 PM
Rarely.
#20R i c kPosted 4/10/2014 2:25:17 PM(edited)
Depends on the game and save system. I've been save scumming a lot on War of the Human Tanks lately cuz, damn, some of my units cost a frigging fortune and the later enemies have ridiculous evasion. Like hell I'm going to lose a unit that cost me over a million just because RNG decided to screw me over and let the enemy evade 6 attacks in a row, pffff.

On older FPS games I'd do the old classic "save scumming on 1 HP because the game expects you periodically save to separate slots instead of saving over one slot and now you've screwed yourself because there are no health packs around" when the need arose.

In general, though, I try to avoid it and attempt to play the game naturally.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded, Hearthstone and others.